PDA

View Full Version : 13x18 Film

Michael Graves
19-Nov-2008, 11:37
Having acquired a fair number of very excellent 13x18 film holders (thanks, Amy!), I set out to find the film. All the threads I read made it sound like it would be impossible. But the first source I tried offered to special order some for me. The following were offered:

Fomapan 100 -- 50 sheet boxes for $65.95. No minimum order required.
Efke 100 -- 50 sheet boxes for $59.99, minimum order of 10 boxes.
Ilford HP5 -- no information provided other than I had to place a minimum order of 150 boxes. I looked at my checkbook and decided against that.

Geert
19-Nov-2008, 11:54
13x18cm holders are easier to find than 5x7" holders, but the film will not be readily available across the ocean!

(sorry for the blatant adrertising)

http://sheetfilm.be/film.php

Wephota 25, 100 & 200 ASA
No minimum required ;-)

G

Ole Tjugen
19-Nov-2008, 12:13
There are a lot of different emulsions available in Europe - I shoot Kodak E100G and Ilford FP4+ in 13x18cm, bought from Germany.

Emmanuel BIGLER
20-Nov-2008, 02:33
For what it is worth : a French LF friend of mine reports that he is able to hold a 5x7" cut film inside a 13x18 classical Linhof holder, the model with the pressure plate that can accomodate glass plates.
My understanding is that even if the 5x7" piece of film is missing a few mm vs. a real metric 13x18, the pressure plate will hold it if the film is slightly rotated and not perfectly parallel to the edges...
If somebody (perhaps the European gang : Ole or Geert) could confirm this...

Ole Tjugen
20-Nov-2008, 03:59
I haven't tried that particular trick, since I have both 5x7" and 13x18 holders.

But I have learned that most 13x18 films are too wide to fit in most 5x7" holders, and that most 5x7" films are too narrow to stay in place in most 13x18 holders. And that sheet film inserts for 5x7" plate holders will drop out of ONE of my four 13x18 book-style plate holders - but I never remember which one it is. And that 5x7" film will drop out of ALL 13x18 film sheaths...

And of course: 13x18 film is slightly smaller than 13x18cm, and by sheer coincidence measure almost exactly 127x178mm - or 5" by 7". So one film is exactly the same size as the plates corresponding to the other film size.

Michael Graves
20-Nov-2008, 06:33
I'm going to order a couple of boxes of Foma today. My understanding is that the Arista 200 is the same film and I have gotten very good results (by my abysmal standards) with that film. I'll post how long it takes for the order to get processed and the film to arrive.

Michael Graves
30-Jan-2009, 15:44
I'm going to order a couple of boxes of Foma today. My understanding is that the Arista 200 is the same film and I have gotten very good results (by my abysmal standards) with that film. I'll post how long it takes for the order to get processed and the film to arrive.

The film arrived today. That's all the longer it took to special order film from Freestyle. So if you've been hoarding 13x18 film holders because you didn't know where to get the film, you don't have to any more. Freestyle has pretty good service.

Gene McCluney
30-Jan-2009, 18:25
Having acquired a fair number of very excellent 13x18 film holders (thanks, Amy!), I set out to find the film. All the threads I read made it sound like it would be impossible. But the first source I tried offered to special order some for me. The following were offered:

Ilford HP5 -- no information provided other than I had to place a minimum order of 150 boxes. I looked at my checkbook and decided against that.
[/LIST]

Ilford has a once-a-year special deal where you can order non-stock sizes of HP5 thru an Ilford/Harman dealer. If you place your order during that period, you won't have a minimum order.

John Bowen
30-Jan-2009, 19:51
Ted Harris spoke of ordering 13x18 film from Europe. I would check the international equivalents of B&H for Ilford or Fuji films in 13x18.

Good Luck,