PDA

View Full Version : Strobe system on an Ektar lens

Bruce E. Rathbun
15-Jul-2001, 20:53
I am looking to use Bowens self contained stobe heads on my 10" Ektar lens. The problem is that there is no way to attatch a cable without some type of adapter. Does anyone know how to make this work? Thanks for the help.

Brian Yarvin
15-Jul-2001, 21:42
I don't, but Paramount Cords at http://www.paramountcords.com knows exactly what to do!

Give them a try.

David A. Goldfarb
15-Jul-2001, 23:29
Yes, the shutters with Ektar lenses usually have a bipole connector. Paramount will make one with the right connections for you if they don't have it in stock.

A while back I picked up a "new-old-stock" Paramount bipole-to-household cord from the B&H used department. You might give them a call.

Bob Salomon
16-Jul-2001, 05:34
A bi post cord is basically the same a TV cheater cord or an electric shaver cord.

Pete Gregar
16-Jul-2001, 14:51
I made mine from an old razor cord. Works great!

Chris Yeager
16-Jul-2001, 18:08
Radio shack has a two-alligator-clip on a split wire deal in a little plastic bag for 2.98. The clips are insulated. I made a couple of bi post synch cords with these, they dont look totally pro but they work fine. Bi post width to shaver cord hole separation can sometimes vary.... but the clips go on everything...

Bruce E. Rathbun
19-Jul-2001, 22:26
Thanks for all of the advise. I did go to paramount cords and find a custom cord that will do the job. Thanks again for all of the helpful advice. This is why I enjoy this site. There are so many people that can have an answer within a few hours. Keep the info flowing!

john g
20-Jul-2001, 17:28
Custom? Calumet has a paramount household to bipost in stock maybe give them a call.

kthompson
21-Jul-2001, 11:52
Bruce, I don't know what you kind of shots you're doing, or the shutter speeds...but one low-tech thing I do is just fire the strobe myself...one hand on the power pack, one on the shutter release...

David A. Goldfarb
21-Jul-2001, 12:42
I've done that with barrel lenses (DG-sync speed with a lens cap is about 1/2 to 1 sec.), but it's not that hard to get a sync cord for an Ilex-type shutter, and well worth the modest cost.