PDA

View Full Version : post "in Galli style"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

eddie
18-Nov-2008, 06:39
hi all,

i am sure most know the venerated Jim Galli. he, almost single handedly is bringing soft focus and selective focus back to the main stream. (and driving the prices of those lenses up as the demand increases! ;) LOL)

i for one have gained inspiration from him. i was out shooting in utah this past sept. as i was setting up my shots day after day i found myself working very hard at getting everything in focus and sharp....."post card photos" i call them. then i began thinking about different styles and possibilities. i thought to myself...."what would galli do" (more fun than "what would ansel do" and galli's style seems "easier" to imitate!). so i began bending my camera into a pretzle and shooting the lenses wide open. i will tell you in is almost as much work to get an exact tiny sliver of focus as it is to get the opposite!

so as the peztval lens craze continues and the SF portraits develop lets see your photos that i will call in "Galli style"

(oh! and yes, please play along also, jim!)

(the 1st is a 4x5 enlarged. i guess i ran out of coverage! 2nd is a 4x5 scan. 3rd and 4th are 8x10 negs using a giant voigtlander)

David Hedley
18-Nov-2008, 07:12
The third picture is particularly effective.

I like the use of selective focus - it can hint at things which cannot be expressed in other ways, either through words or images. On the other hand, I also like the near/far focus capability of large format, which can bring an epic quality to landscapes (quite distinct from a picture postcard!).

Jim Galli
18-Nov-2008, 08:32
LOL. The only thing more arresting than seeing your name in the title is finding out the thread died after 2 posts :D

Here's a still life from last weekend;

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Pinkham-Smith/12SAseries_I/Ives258_GrahamRdstrS.jpg
Ives 258 & Graham Roadster

Pinkham & Smith Semi Achromatic lens printed on AZO

eddie
18-Nov-2008, 08:45
give em some time! they have to get home and dig through all the SF photos to find some to post......

Blueberrydesk
18-Nov-2008, 09:27
Not nearly as good as anything Jim has done, but it was done with a lens bought from Jim. :) 15" Magic Lantern lens. If you look real close, part of the well is in focus...honest.

http://sundownis.com/BodieJune/bodie005web.jpg

GSX4
18-Nov-2008, 10:12
Here's something I printed yesterday evening. It was taken with a 7" Darlot projection lens on a Chamonix 4x5

kilimanjaro1996
18-Nov-2008, 10:31
A B&L Magic Lantern Petzval of about 9" focal length. First one is shot on Adox Pan 25 with hot lights and the tones are just buttery. The second one is done by strobe.

Brian Stein
18-Nov-2008, 19:33
When I get my 8" petzval from Jim I shall be sure to add something :-)

Jon Wilson
18-Nov-2008, 22:43
Hey Eddie, nice shots....I too especially like #3 & #4. What Voightlander lens did you use? Here is a shot I made with my Vesta at f8

Daniel_Buck
19-Nov-2008, 01:02
One from this weekend, while shooting my 'grim reaper' stuff. 4x5 speedgraphic, f2 petzval projection lens, Adox 25 ortho film in Rodinal

http://404photography.net/wip/4x5/dodge_truck_01.jpg

Bill_1856
19-Nov-2008, 06:07
I have the greatest respect for Jim Galli, and enjoy much of his conventional work, but, (except in "Camera Club Competitions"), there was good reason that this pretentious genre of photography had finally died out before WW2. It's sorta like "fisheye" photographs -- seen one, you've seen them all (over and over and over...).

GSX4
19-Nov-2008, 08:02
That can be said for ANY type of photography... Everything has been done before.. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and whatever floats ya boat. People do this because they like to. Why do you feel it pretentious?

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2008, 09:18
Myself, I am one of those retro sharp focus, total depth of field landscape guys and I don't see that changing. But I think Jim should be commended for resurrecting this vintage technique and style. It is a nice contrast to the Adams/Muench juggernaut that dominates this forum and all of LF. It is clear that a number of people here sincerely enjoy Jim's way of working and in the final analysis isn't that most important?

MenacingTourist
19-Nov-2008, 10:09
Let's get this thread back on track...
Jim gave me the heads up on this lens so it's kind of like I got it from him.

B&L projection lens (10" I think)
FP4 (5x7) & Rollo Pyro
Ilford Warmtone paper & Dektol

eddie
19-Nov-2008, 11:39
Hey Eddie, nice shots....I too especially like #3 & #4. What Voightlander lens did you use? Here is a shot I made with my Vesta at f8

i will check the # on it to be sure i get it right when i get home....it is a big one. 14 inch FL and about 5 inch diameter elements. stay tuned. i will look tonight.

keep em coming......i am a bit surprised that more people have not posted! everytime one of those SF or petzval lenses come up for sale they sell like hotcakes.....what are you all doing with them? paper weights? display, bragging rights, OH! i know! ACCUMULATORS! :p

cheers

eddie

Benno Jones
19-Nov-2008, 11:49
keep em coming......i am a bit surprised that more people have not posted! everytime one of those SF or petzval lenses come up for sale they sell like hotcakes.....what are you all doing with them? paper weights? display, bragging rights, OH! i know! ACCUMULATORS! :p

cheers

eddie

Guilty! I bought a small petzval from Jim earlier this year and have yet to shoot with it. Weather permitting I'll be doing some shooting on Friday, so maybe I'll have something to post in a week or so.

Daniel_Buck
19-Nov-2008, 12:06
Myself, I am one of those retro sharp focus, total depth of field landscape guys and I don't see that changing. But I think Jim should be commended for resurrecting this vintage technique and style. It is a nice contrast to the Adams/Muench juggernaut that dominates this forum and all of LF. It is clear that a number of people here sincerely enjoy Jim's way of working and in the final analysis isn't that most important?

Agreed. I actually have always liked the older style photography (thin DOF on full length portraits, and odd effects that older lenses can give, which is one of the reasons I got into large format shooting!) but I actually never new what style of lens gave that effect until I started seeing Jim's postings :) I just knew it was something with large format. I know some people don't like the style, but that's fine. i don't particularly like 'street' photography, or some other types of photography styles, but I don't shun those who participate in those types of photography, nobody is forcing me to participate :)

Eric Rose
19-Nov-2008, 16:08
Well I must admit it's not using a primitive lens but it is selective focus.

http://www.ericrose.com/EW%20Park%20horse%20copy.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Nov-2008, 22:10
This is an 8x10 shot with one of my Petzvals. Can't remember which one. Now that has me upset! Printed on some old Azo stock I have.

Jim

Don Ciccone
22-Nov-2008, 10:10
Not sure this is in true "Galli style" but it was shot wide open (f3.8) with an old 6 inch Dallmeyer portrait lens mounted on a Speed Graphic. I took it last week at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.

Don

eddie
22-Nov-2008, 10:21
great wok don! i love it!

here are two from a wedding i just shot. i ma trying to get my technique down. i am almost there. either my focus was slightly off or something. looks like the bride may have moved in the one photo. i am still working on perfecting it. the B&G liked the photo.

both were taken using an 8x10 camera and an 11 1/2 inch verito. the 1st is f11 (maybe f16 but i doubt it!) the second is f8. printed on ilford warmtone rc

i like the way the groom is separated from the background.

i plan to print a few more and then hand color them. stay tuned.

eddie

Jim Galli
22-Nov-2008, 10:43
Wow Don. What a great shot. Atmosphere and the walls are talking.

Good stuff Eddie. I'm playing with Nicola today. Maybe I'll have something to post a bit later.

eddie
22-Nov-2008, 13:14
Wow Don. What a great shot. Atmosphere and the walls are talking.

Good stuff Eddie. I'm playing with Nicola today. Maybe I'll have something to post a bit later.

did you get the one off ebay from calmeta? i talked with that guy at a show a bit before he listed it. he was hoping to get 3-3.5K for it! went or a lot less! had i known.....great one if you got it! show us when you can.

eddie

Colin Graham
22-Nov-2008, 13:18
Not sure this is in true "Galli style" but it was shot wide open (f3.8) with an old 6 inch Dallmeyer portrait lens mounted on a Speed Graphic. I took it last week at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.

Don

Wow! Don- that's altogether astounding.

Jim Galli
22-Nov-2008, 13:26
did you get the one off ebay from calmeta? i talked with that guy at a show a bit before he listed it. he was hoping to get 3-3.5K for it! went or a lot less! had i known.....great one if you got it! show us when you can.

eddie

6 - 8 months ago he might have gotten the 3K. No, I didn't get that one. Got a better one. 42cm so it is at home on either the 11X14 of the 8X10. I'm having trouble getting something big enough for the flange to go in the field. It may end up on the 7X11 8X10 platform.

Jim Galli
22-Nov-2008, 19:15
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NicolaP/TheLampNicolaP.jpg
the lamp

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NicolaP/TiredShoesNicolaP.jpg
tired shoes

A lens I never expected to own! The Nicola Perscheid was made by Busch Rathenow to Mr. Perscheid's specifications for portraiture. It is the same formula, modified Rapid Rectilinear, as The Pinkham Smith Series IV and the Hermagis Eidoscop. Prices have been notoriously high because Europe recognizes them as a notable classic over our American lenses.

Last week a 42cm became available and the seller was anxious to work with me because he was worried about a tiny couple of spots of fungus on one of the inner surfaces. He offered an attractive price and a 2 day money back guarantee. When I got it I knew immediately it would be a keeper. The fungus had not attacked the glass and it soaked right off. 42cm is a nice size. It's at home both on the 11X14 and the 8X10! These first 2 contact prints I'll share are from the 11X14 camera. The lamp shot was at f5.6 and the shoes at f4.5

Jim Graves
22-Nov-2008, 20:59

Sharp focus, total depth of field is "retro?" Seems to me Galli's soft focus, mood eliciting photographic style predates Ansel and the crew by quite a few years.

soeren
25-Nov-2008, 03:48
Threads like this one should be labeled

"This thread may harm your financial situation" :)

Man, I love this style and your pics
Kind regards
Søren

Steve M Hostetter
26-Nov-2008, 21:37
Somewhere ppl got confused as to the meaning of photography and instead of the study of light they have contorted it to be in their minds to be the study of acutance.

8x10 Arista 125 FG-7 soup 250mm 5.8 Imagon

robert fallis
27-Nov-2008, 15:14
this is a 4x5 neg, arista ortho, made with 105mm Kodak anastigmat lens from sometime in the thirty's, from a 8 on 620 film. which I made into a wooden point and shoot, and to get the clouds, a Kodak cloud filter the lot, cost about £15. so Jim Galli has not been here yet

bob

GSX4
27-Nov-2008, 17:23
Here are a couple I made last week using a 6" Darlot lens and the Packard Shutter that Jim sold me... Both are printed onto EMAKS G2 paper, souped in Neutol WA, lightly bleached back, lightly sepia toned, and finished in selenium

Shen45
27-Nov-2008, 17:36
Congrats Andrew, the second image is very good indeed. Now all I need is a statue that won't move for a few seconds.

Steve

ljsegil
28-Nov-2008, 04:31
I think this can work in color also. First two shot on a Canham 5x7 with a Verito 9" at f4 on Portra 160NC, the last on a Wehman 8x10 with a 14 1/2" Verito at f4 on Astia (?), not as nice I don't think but it does certainly swirl at that distance.
LJS

cdholden
29-Nov-2008, 11:51
Eddie,
You could get one of those WWJD bracelets and explain to everyone that you use it for daily inspiration: "What Would Jim Do?"
Chris

Alex Wei
1-Dec-2008, 22:10
This is an 8x10 shot with one of my Petzvals. Can't remember which one. Now that has me upset! Printed on some old Azo stock I have.

Jim

Jim, I don't have that problem, because mine has no name or mark on it! :)

so, please see attached picture taken with a nameless brass lens wide-open.

contact print from a Whole Plate negative.

Jim Galli
1-Dec-2008, 22:15

Hey, I've got one of those too.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/MysteryLens13F4/WhiteRosesS.jpg
white roses

13" f4 achromatic meniscus no name;

So. Cal. after the soaking rain Weds. last.

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Dec-2008, 23:39

Alex, great plate and that lens is really nice. great sharpness and beautiful fall off. Don't ever sell it.

Jim

soeren
2-Dec-2008, 23:19
Hmm I'm sort of tempted now.
Which lenses will give this "Jim Galli Style" effect on 4X5" and 13X18cm?
Kind regards
Søren

eddie
3-Dec-2008, 04:32
hello,

some of the various old brass projection lenses are a goo place to start. the petzval design is the favorite among the LF posters but any design will give interesting "galli" style soft, dreamy, or swirly shots. oh! and whatever you choose shoot it wide open.

you can also do some selective focus. this you can use any lens for. just get your view camera into a pretzel and see what happens. :) this is what i did in photo #2 in my 1st post.

hope to see some soon.

eddie

Kind regards
Søren

ljsegil
3-Dec-2008, 04:53
Beautiful Alex, whatever made it.
Jim, no words necessary.
LJS

eddie
3-Dec-2008, 05:04
shot with my new toy! a cooke 15 inch SF baby. still learning how to make her sing!

one is f8 the other f 4.5. no diffusion. (maybe a bit of wind though. i shot it outside)

Jim Galli
3-Dec-2008, 10:14
Kind regards
Søren

Projection petzvals in the 5 - 6 inch range are excellent. Also most of the very early landscape meniscus lenses. With these you will normally need to defeat the built in aperture that necks the glass down to f12 or so. Get them opened up to the usual f6 possible and you'll see some dreamy softness. Then of course if money and sanity is no object what-so-ever, go for a 9 inch Pinkham & Smith Series V Synthetic :D

Jim Galli
3-Dec-2008, 10:17
shot with my new toy! a cooke 15 inch SF baby. still learning how to make her sing!

one is f8 the other f 4.5. no diffusion. (maybe a bit of wind though. i shot it outside)

Off to a good start I see. I think I would have swung the back and tried to get a bit nearer focus on the right side of the picture. I love ALL of my Cooke's :cool:

soeren
3-Dec-2008, 11:24
Thanks guys. Ill see what I can find :)
Kind regards
Søren

Ken Lee
3-Dec-2008, 12:08
A question, oh venerable ones. Is this correct ?

There seem to be a few different kinds of blur effect we get with these vintage portrait and soft-focus lenses. Different lenses and designs give us some combination of these:

"Smooth" - An out of focus disc looks like a disc, with no aberrations. This is what most people call "nice bokeh" when discussing lenses for 35mm and larger format. We see this with Tessars, Heliars, Elmars, etc.

"Extra Smooth" - lots of smooth blur in the out of focus areas, more than a "normal" lens would render - like we see in Jim Galli's photo of the lamp and books. It can sometimes be controlled by choice of f-stop, as with the Cooke PS945 (http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/secondary/ps945) portrait lens.

"Swirly" - like what we see with Jim Fitzgerald's image of the trees, or Daniel Buck's photo of the truck.

"Halo" - an extra luminosity appears around the out-of-focus areas and in some cases, even around the in-focus areas. Jim Galli's White Roses shows this effect.

"Overall" - we see blur overall, even in the areas of best focus - like when we use a magnifying glass or other simple lens with little or no correction - like Blueberrydesk's photo of the barn with a Magic Lantern lens.

Is there another effect, which I have overlooked ?

I am a fan of the "Smooth" variety, and wonder which affordable lenses give an "Extra Smooth" result, other than the now-discontinued (and costly) Cooke Cooke PS945.

mealers
3-Dec-2008, 15:25
Heres my first picture taken with a non name 6" f/6 Petzval on my 4x5.
HP5+ / Rodinal
3s
neg scan

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/6fd85188c7.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

nathanm
3-Dec-2008, 16:45
It's not easy to go for the super soft look. My brain is usually saying, "Ahh, blur…you screwed up!" This is about all I have in that vein. Aren't most of those ancient brass lenses generally too long for 4x5 or am I crackers? This is with a decidedly non-antique Schneider 90mm.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2016/2113860876_15f2d02bbf.jpg

eddie
3-Dec-2008, 16:50
It's not easy to go for the super soft look. My brain is usually saying, "Ahh, blur…you screwed up!" This is about all I have in that vein. Aren't most of those ancient brass lenses generally too long for 4x5 or am I crackers?

that is great! i love the subject :D

keep exercising that part of your brain...you are on to something! we know you have it in you!

many of those old brass lenses are just right for 4x5. keep an eye out for the 4-6 inch range if you want crazy swirls and all.....if you are not into swirl keep a look out for a rapid rectilinear up to 12 inches.....most are fairly small.

eddie

jb7
3-Dec-2008, 17:18
There seem to be a few different kinds of blur effect we get with these vintage portrait and soft-focus lenses.

Seems to me that you've made a very comprehensive list-
I wonder if anyone has tried to combine any of these distinct indistinct effects with motion blur?

Panning?

j

Jim Galli
3-Dec-2008, 18:05
A question, oh venerable ones. Is this correct ?

There seem to be a few different kinds of blur effect we get with these vintage portrait and soft-focus lenses. Different lenses and designs give us some combination of these:

"Smooth" - An out of focus disc looks like a disc, with no aberrations. This is what most people call "nice bokeh" when discussing lenses for 35mm and larger format. We see this with Tessars, Heliars, Elmars, etc.

"Extra Smooth" - lots of smooth blur in the out of focus areas, more than a "normal" lens would render - like we see in Jim Galli's photo of the lamp and books. It can sometimes be controlled by choice of f-stop, as with the Cooke PS945 (http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/secondary/ps945) portrait lens.

"Swirly" - like what we see with Jim Fitzgerald's image of the trees, or Daniel Buck's photo of the truck.

"Halo" - an extra luminosity appears around the out-of-focus areas and in some cases, even around the in-focus areas. Jim Galli's White Roses shows this effect.

"Overall" - we see blur overall, even in the areas of best focus - like when we use a magnifying glass or other simple lens with little or no correction - like Blueberrydesk's photo of the barn with a Magic Lantern lens.

I am a fan of the "Smooth" variety, and wonder which affordable lenses give an "Extra Smooth" result, other than the now-discontinued (and costly) Cooke Cooke PS945.

For the record, I'm not the Oh Venerable One but I'll try to answer.

I think you've pretty well nailed it. I seperate "the lenses" into three wide groups. 1) Petzval's with their distinct sharp center then lovely bokeh, with or without swirlies. 2) Smooooooth sharp. Your Heliars, Velostigmats, Cookes, et al. I hate to put Cooke in the same sentence with a Velostigmat. I may be stoned. 3) Purpose built soft focus lenses that by design are very soft everywhere wide open. Verito's, etc. 4) Perhaps a 4th group is emerging. Just plain weird stuff that is of the found variety like Mark Sawyer's Pinkham Bi Nocular lens or his 2F99 lenses. I've been playing with one of these.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/MysteryLens13F4/OvergrownWindowsS.jpg
overgrown window

This is done with a 13" f4 Achromatic (or is it?) no name meniscus that was part of a mis-matched Petzval I bought to have the shutter parts. Notice how the coma is directional (objectional). It bleeds left on the left side and right on the right side. Fun to play with but no match for a Pinkham & Smith.

Ken Lee
3-Dec-2008, 18:25
On further reflection, it occurs to me that the Halo effect, comes from the subject. If the subject has high values next to low values, then blur, becomes a halo. If the tonal values are close, then what we see is blur.

This image from the Cooke web site (http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/dcb2d81e7e2672ed85256e710062d65e/8876fb58ebf8635785256e8500295726?OpenDocument) demonstrates it nicely. We get a nice halo around the white text, but less in other parts of the image. Jim's lamp photo shows it nicely too: the lettering on the books appears to glow.

eddie
4-Dec-2008, 18:23
trying out a new-to-me versar lens. this one is f6. i (as usual) am having scanning issues. i will print them tomorrow and then repost....but for now.

Asher Kelman
5-Dec-2008, 02:09
trying out a new-to-me versar lens. this one is f6. i (as usual) am having scanning issues. i will print them tomorrow and then repost....but for now.
Eddie,

I like this picture. I have a strange request. Could you possibly replace what's on the left with one large iris or other bloom on the table. Just that bottle is so physical and handsome and with one flower and afternoon light would be beautiful with this lens.

Asher

BTW, I visited your pinhole collection and am impressed!

ljsegil
5-Dec-2008, 04:58
Overdone, with a 14 1/2" Verito on the Canham 8x10, Astia 100. This soft stuff can be taken too far, particularly by us novices. Jim's art is learned, I'm sure, and not just spontaneously acquired. But the learning process is fun in its own right.
LJS

Jim Galli
5-Dec-2008, 09:38
Overdone, with a 14 1/2" Verito on the Canham 8x10, Astia 100. This soft stuff can be taken too far, particularly by us novices. Jim's art is learned, I'm sure, and not just spontaneously acquired. But the learning process is fun in its own right.
LJS

From the 1921 Pictorial Photography in America annual.........

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/1921VeritoAd.jpg
VERITO the lens that improves on aquaintance

Scott Schroeder
5-Dec-2008, 09:49
Here's two 5X7 wet plates using a no name nickel ~6" petzval

http://www.schroederworks.com/Wetplate/Light.jpg

http://www.schroederworks.com/Wetplate/window.jpg

bsimison
5-Dec-2008, 10:44
This is an experiment to see if it's a technique I'd like to employ on portrait work.

Agfa Agnar 85mm ƒ/4.5 lens "borrowed" from an Agfa Isolette 6x6 folder, TMax 100 4x5, HC-110 1:63

DJGainer
5-Dec-2008, 11:03

Bre Jungbluth
5-Dec-2008, 12:16
Hi, I'm Bre. This is my first post here, and I'm doing similar work with a soft lens on a 4x5 camera (Arista.edu 200 in hc110). This seemed like a nice place to start.

eddie
5-Dec-2008, 13:10
Hi, I'm Bre. This is my first post here, and I'm doing similar work with a soft lens on a 4x5 camera (Arista.edu 200 in hc110). This seemed like a nice place to start.

welcome! beautiful shot! perfect.

what was your lens?

eddie

Jim Galli
5-Dec-2008, 13:20

what was your lens?

eddie

Yes, tell us more. Welcome.

Ken Lee
6-Dec-2008, 06:37
Here's one made with a nice vintage Tessar...

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/tessar.jpg

Bre Jungbluth
6-Dec-2008, 11:40

what was your lens?

eddie

Thanks! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I am using magnifying glass lens with about a 9-inch focal length and about f/4 on an old Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter.

eddie
6-Dec-2008, 12:13
awesome! with that set up you are "in"!

please post more when you get them.

cheers

eddie

mealers
6-Dec-2008, 13:09
This is from my new 6" f/4 Westminster of London Petzval
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr134/mealers1/garden.jpg

Jim Galli
6-Dec-2008, 13:16
This is from my new 6" f/4 Westminster of London Petzval

WOW! A stunner! Perfect control.

mealers
6-Dec-2008, 13:39
Jim I took this using your patented shutter technique!:D
To be honest I had my doubts, I mean yeah in theory of course it should work but...?

I used Adox Ortho 25 at 1/8, took two exposures and both were bang on!! Brilliant! :)

Alex Wei
6-Dec-2008, 15:02
Jim I took this using your patented shutter technique!:D
To be honest I had my doubts, I mean yeah in theory of course it should work but...?

I used Adox Ortho 25 at 1/8, took two exposures and both were bang on!! Brilliant! :)

This is very impressive work.

Alex

JoeV
6-Dec-2008, 15:18
Madrid, New Mexico.

7x50 binocular lens adapted to a 4"x5" Speed Graphic, Arista APHS film.

~Joe

seawolf66
6-Dec-2008, 15:57
Jim: I still like the snow owl very much, Since we are soft stuff here , Id like to throw in the 4x5 planatograph F-8 lens as being a soft type of lens at wide open:

ajbirdboy
6-Dec-2008, 18:04
Hi all,
Had a great evening doing some still life' with Eddie in his 'studio.' Quite an experience for me as I'm used to outdoor, available light, landscape sort of work. Still life and studio lights is interesting, and I'm just starting to see what some of my lenses are really like. I guess I'm finding out a bit about me, too.
#1 and #3 taken with an old Darlot projection lens. I like these a lot. #2 with a Turner Reich convertible. Satisfying. #4 with a B+L 360.
Al

Bre Jungbluth
7-Dec-2008, 19:40
I took these with an old Speed Graphic with a focal plane shutter with a magnifying glass lens and about f/4.

eddie
7-Dec-2008, 19:55
the second is very nice. keep em coming....you are on a roll!

Mark Sawyer
7-Dec-2008, 20:14
Very natural and very lovely, Bre! Wonderful work!

And Mike, the image from your Westminster of London Petzval is lovely! A spider plant?

arca andy
9-Dec-2008, 04:54
Here's mine taken with Type 55, those were the days....

Stephanie Brim
11-Dec-2008, 00:16
My scanner has a few issues, as does the photographer. However, this is as close as I can get with my current lens: the 125mm no-name projection lens.

http://thirtyfivemillimeter.org/blogimages/cannons.jpg

Ode to Jim, an inspiration to us all. ;)

And yes, the right cannon's end there IS in focus. Kinda hard to tell, but it is. I looked through a loupe.

venchka
12-Dec-2008, 12:11
Ready or not, here is the first photo from my 1913 Bausch & Lomb Rapid Rectilinear mounted in a Kodak Supermatic (X) shutter on the front of my Zone VI camera.

First Christmas cactus bloom, November 30, 2008.

Thanks for looking.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/144724-2/WMT003+Gray+Spot-2.jpg

Jim Galli
12-Dec-2008, 14:47
Gorgeous stuff on this page as well as the rest. I'm happy to have my name somehow associated with such wonderful work. Stephanie, the cannons are terrific, and Bre, your work is wonderful with the magnifying lens. The B&L RR is nice too. Wonderful bokeh with that old lens. Great fun.

venchka
12-Dec-2008, 14:51
Thanks Jim.

walter23
14-Dec-2008, 01:05
I shot this today just for this thread, with a speed graphic got in a trade with eddie.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/vase-with-speedy.jpg

First time using a flash for LF photography actually. I metered it up and did a "digital polaroid" with my SLR and then it all just fell together nicely on the film.

Jim Michael
14-Dec-2008, 06:47
First Christmas cactus bloom, November 30, 2008.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/144724-2/WMT003+Gray+Spot-2.jpg

Nice. Ours had blooms for the first time in 7 years.

eddie
14-Dec-2008, 06:48
I shot this today just for this thread, with a speed graphic got in a trade with eddie.

First time using a flash for LF photography actually. I metered it up and did a "digital polaroid" with my SLR and then it all just fell together nicely on the film.

nice shot walter! tell us about the lens!

nice to see that people are shooting for the thread! jim continues to provide inspiration.

yes, i just started using flash LF photography also. one nice thing about the flash is you can use lenses wide open uncover the lens, hit the flash and BANG a perfect exposure. no "shutter" needed.

keep em coming!

eddie

eddie
14-Dec-2008, 06:55
Nice. Ours had blooms for the first time in 7 years.

here is an ancient burmese secret i got from my wife about these cacti....

about sept she moves the plant outside to a place that has complete
darkness during the night. no lights form the house to hit it. it is also a cool place (atlanta may need some help to get the cool place) so if you do not have cool nights try moving it to a dark basement that gets cool. then when it begins to bloom she feeds it a bit of flower food. see my post #41 in this thread. this plant has many many blooms on it! she has been getting the various cactus to bloom every year she has been in america.

hope this helps with your cacti.

eddie

jnantz
14-Dec-2008, 08:29
mnscus

zack
14-Dec-2008, 08:36
Chipped 60mm f/1.8 condenser element from an old projector.
http://zack.loseby.net/images/fountain.jpg

Stephanie Brim
14-Dec-2008, 18:44
I imagine that shot to be very similar to what things would look like if I was on acid. Trippy, man.

Scott Schroeder
16-Dec-2008, 09:25
8X10 collodion on aluminum, using a Century 10A and dallmeyer 4B
http://www.schroederworks.com/Wetplate/Chair001.jpg

walter23
16-Dec-2008, 14:57
I imagine that shot to be very similar to what things would look like if I was on acid. Trippy, man.

It's not really quite like that.

Err, so I hear.

Jim Galli
16-Dec-2008, 15:01
8X10 collodion on aluminum, using a Century 10A and dallmeyer 4B

Scott, that is a gorgeous shot. I've been teetering on the collodion ledge for about 2 years now, or is it 3 and just have never leaped in. Lately I have the feeling everyone's moving on without me. Some really nice examples here.

Scott Schroeder
16-Dec-2008, 15:16
Go for it Jim!
If you were closer, I'd have you stop by to have some fun and I could show you the ropes. It's a helluva good time and you never have to worry about your favorite film disappearing. You can also shoot any format you want! I'm gonna make a whole plate insert for my 10A next. You still have that 5X14 or what ever it was? Well.... you won't have to worry about using drums and such :)

Jim Galli
17-Dec-2008, 08:44
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Harrahs121308/Vine_on_chainlinkS.jpg
vine on chainlink fence

Karl Struss Pictorial Lens on 5X7 Speed Graphic

venchka
17-Dec-2008, 09:18
That's nice.

Wait. That's a "real" Galli.

And very nice.

gbogatko
17-Dec-2008, 10:10
This is with a Verito 14" on 8x10 Efke 25. I called it "Commuting With Ghosts"

eddie
17-Dec-2008, 10:20

great! long time no see! keep em coming.

eddie

walter23
17-Dec-2008, 12:05

I really like it.

gbogatko
17-Dec-2008, 12:41
keep em coming.
eddie

OK. Here's another. This with a 300mm Heliar shot on portra vc 6x9. This one's my wife's favorite.

eddie
17-Dec-2008, 13:40
collodion on aluminum.

10x10 aluminum. f5 petzval. 2 sec. kcn fix

jb7
17-Dec-2008, 15:37
fabulous stuff-

Eddie, I'm going to have to go and learn all about that now-
like I don't have enough to do-

j

eddie
17-Dec-2008, 15:59
fabulous stuff-

Eddie, I'm going to have to go and learn all about that now-
like I don't have enough to do-

j

:D

it is great. i really enjoy it. the worst part is it is not as portable as i would like cause you have to pour and develop while it is wet....so you have to have some kind of a dark box.....which i do not have....till then i will shoot around the house.

start here. (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/WPC/wpc.html)

eddie

mealers
18-Dec-2008, 06:13
vine on chainlink fence

Karl Struss Pictorial Lens on 5X7 Speed Graphic

Wow Jim, thats stunning.

MenacingTourist
18-Dec-2008, 07:48

I really like that.
You're also close to where I work (Avenel). You should join us this Saturday for our latest get together in the city.

Alan.

eddie
18-Dec-2008, 11:19
more fun with wet plate!

this time i decided to shoot some 5x7. much easier to pour for sure. these are with my 11 1/2 verito. i will shoot some sharper lenses this afternoon.

stump is f6 at 2 sec

(please excuse the glare from shooting the plate with a digital)

eddie

Emil Schildt
19-Dec-2008, 17:02
kind of new to this forum, but I see that names are familiar from APUG...

I'll try not to upload too many doublets, but bear with me if I do it anyway...

I have played around with strange lenses for a while now, and I am addicted..

attached two images.

the first taken with the 300mm Plasticca lens, the secone with an old lancaster landscape lens (meniscus type lens, fitted reversed in a shutter..)

Question: how is it with nudity on this site? is it ok to submit such "dangerous" images, or is it a no go?

best
emil

Brian Bullen
19-Dec-2008, 17:56
Emil,
Doubles or triples, nude or not, your work is always welcome in my opinion. :) Thanks for sharing!

shadow images
19-Dec-2008, 18:39
Eddie I have to say I'm liking the wet plates you've done so far. God keep me away from that stuff in person I can't afford another process.

eddie
21-Dec-2008, 11:15
Eddie I have to say I'm liking the wet plates you've done so far. God keep me away from that stuff in person I can't afford another process.

careful....you will love it! i can not stop!....at least now i found time to eat again!

here are a few from todays foray back to the collodion side!

all are shot with my trusty 11 1/2 inch verito. the 1st two are at f4 (proper Galli style) and the last is at f6 for comparison.

the leaf is 15 seconds. i have another better 30 second exposure but i ruined the plate rubbing it! the f4 lamp is 30 sec. and the f6 is at 1 min.

collodion on 4 1/2 x 7 inch black aluminum.

Asher Kelman
21-Dec-2008, 12:12

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/vase-with-speedy.jpg

Walter,

What lens is this and what's the aperture. I love it!

Asher

Emil Schildt
21-Dec-2008, 17:03
played around with my Cooke 300mm...

max softness..

I kind of like th eglow, but I have to do many more to get to knoe the lens proberly...

Jim Galli
23-Dec-2008, 10:52
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Secret%20Weapon%20Lens/IlexProjection/39Ford_IlexProjectorFrontLens4X5_1.jpg
worlds most photographed 39 ford pickup_Ilex Projection front

This done on 8X10 with the front element of an Ilex Adjustable Projection lens. It focused about 7" but the 8X10 turned out to be a bit much oof so I cropped the best 4X5 out.

walter23
23-Dec-2008, 20:15
From a DSLR fitted with a Top Secret Lens:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/meniachromatIMG_4975.jpg

Scott Schroeder
24-Dec-2008, 21:08
shot my first whole plate size plates.
dallmeyer 4b wide open
Just my feet.....
http://www.schroederworks.com/Wetplate/Feet.jpg

jon.oman
25-Dec-2008, 09:30
dallmeyer 4b wide open
Just my feet.....

And they are cool looking feet!

Jon

Scott --
27-Dec-2008, 12:14
A couple stones from today's foggy morning. Korona 8x10, 12" brass ML lens, Arista.EDU Ultra 100 overexposed and underdeveloped...

eddie
16-Jan-2009, 05:59
a bunch of LF shooter came by to play last month.

this is charley. he brought his 18 inch verito to let us play with. thanks charley!

wide open on 8x10. printed on warm tone ilford.

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Jan-2009, 07:52
Here is one that I forgot about. This is shot with my Hybrid Voightlander Euroscop 18" at about F-8. Printed on some 1976 Azo developed in Amidol.

Jim

fireallconsuming
1-Feb-2009, 17:50
old calumet monorail
rodenstock 135 and 210
fuji 160s

Cody Snoke
4-Feb-2009, 12:27
Hi everybody,

My name is Cody and this is my first post and I have a picture that i think is really neat.

I took it with a 4x5 at night in a back alley way for 20 minutes. it is used with a simple magnifying lens.

venchka
4-Feb-2009, 12:28
Well done Cody. Welcome! Show us more as you make them.

eddie
4-Feb-2009, 14:39
Hi everybody,

My name is Cody and this is my first post and I have a picture that i think is really neat.

I took it with a 4x5 at night in a back alley way for 20 minutes. it is used with a simple magnifying lens.

great 1st post! fits perfect in galli style!

MIke Sherck
4-Feb-2009, 17:24
dallmeyer 4b wide open
Just my feet.....

Jumping in with both feet, I see!

Cody Snoke
5-Feb-2009, 10:20
great 1st post! fits perfect in galli style!

Well thank you and yes, I just did another one and I will upload it in a few minutes

Cody Snoke
5-Feb-2009, 10:30
Ok here is another 4x5 I did with the same lense. There wasn't as much light on this photo so i did a 30 minute exposure and it came out pretty good I think.

And I love how the diferent soft focus lenses work for right now this is all I have but I will soon get different lenses and try them!

Cody Snoke
5-Feb-2009, 10:32
Ok I just sepia toned it and I was wondering which one looked better?

Cody Snoke
5-Feb-2009, 10:32
Ok sorry I did not rotate them so they are 90 degrees counter clockwise!

RDB Korn
5-Feb-2009, 23:56
Ansco 8X10 camera, dollar store magnifying glass lens, APHS Lith film, *Galli* developer.

Paul

Jim Galli
6-Feb-2009, 00:02
Ok I just sepia toned it and I was wondering which one looked better?

Whoa. Looks like the 'lectric chair.

Ansco 8X10 camera, dollar store magnifying glass lens, APHS Lith film, *Galli* developer.

Paul

Beautiful. That lens was worth every penny.

Cody Snoke
6-Feb-2009, 09:48

Paul

Nice, Thats where I got my lense is from the 99cent store!

Thomas Greutmann
15-Feb-2009, 11:47
The posts with no-name lenses really got me interested, so I decided to give it a try. Fresh from a walk this morning (it was freezing cold here in Germany).

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000513-lfp-bielefeld-leaves-swirl.jpg

The lens is a no-name brass projection lens which I got off Ebay for 10 Euros. I cut it in two halves and mounted it with tape in a Copal-3 shutter. Linhof Technika 4x5 camera, TMAX 400 exposed at 200, developed N-1 in XTOL. Aperture was fully open, I guess f-stop is around 2.8 or 4.

I will check how the lens works for portraits as well.

Greetings, Thomas

eddie
15-Feb-2009, 11:57
great one thomas!!!

Daniel_Buck
16-Feb-2009, 01:09
woah, that one is strange! It swirls, then towards the edges goes back to normal again. Interesting!

soeren
16-Feb-2009, 23:25
Hmm A Question
Thomas Greutmann's pic shows cirkular"distorted" OOF areas. Some lenses shows radial"distorted" OOF areas, a pseudozoom effect. Whats the optical explanation?
Kind regards
Søren

walter23
16-Feb-2009, 23:40
Hmm A Question
Thomas Greutmann's pic shows cirkular"distorted" OOF areas. Some lenses shows radial"distorted" OOF areas, a pseudozoom effect. Whats the optical explanation?
Kind regards
Søren

I don't know the proper terminology, but it's some sort of aberration where the image is reconstructed in a squashed manner around the periphery of the image circle, beyond the usable area the lens was designed to have. Because you get this "squashed" effect around the edges of a circle, you get the impression of rotation, but it's not a signature of movement like a "zoom" effect is - it's just squashing of the image. When you have lots of out of focus "bokeh blobs", those get squashed into crescent shapes in this area (instead of the ideal round circle), and all of those little crescent shaped elements give the impression of circular swirling movement. But it's really just a geometric distortion.

It's one signature of the petzval lens design.

Thomas Greutmann
23-Feb-2009, 01:48
Hmm A Question
Kind regards
Søren

This is probably more an illustration than an explanation on the "swirl" vs. "zoom" effect (or circular vs. radial distortion).

This was the photo earlier in the thread, taken with a no-name projection lens. I focused on an object nearby (maybe 3-4 ft from the lens), aperture fully open. You get the swirl effect:

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000513-lfp-bielefeld-leaves-swirl.jpg

This photo is taken with the same lens. The focus is on the sheep about 10 yards away. Aperture fully open as well. There is the zoom effect:

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000514-fi-bielefeld-sheep-zoom.jpg

So, with these old projection lenses, "swirl" and "zoom" seem to be closely related:

Focus on a close object and you get the swirl (aperture fully open)
Focus on a more distant object and you get the zoom effect (aperture fully open)
If you stop down the aperture then the effects go away, you get a fairly common sharp/unsharp picture (don't have a picture to illustrate this but this is what I noticed when I stopped down the lens)

Maybe someone has a more scientific explanation to offer.

soeren
23-Feb-2009, 23:48
Thanks Thomas
That was just what I meant though I thought it was a question about lens caracter and not as simple as focussing distance. wery interesting indeed and great pics BTW.
Kind regards

Emil Schildt
21-Apr-2009, 15:46
Something new from me:
A VERY old Dallmeyer meniscus type landscape lens, where I unscrewed the lens and put it in a big shutter, in order to "take advantage" of the full aperture.
Normally I'd use it outside, but I had to try and see what it could do in portraiture...

very, very soft!!

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000079/165-dallmeyer.jpg

soeren
21-Apr-2009, 22:14
Something new from me:
A VERY old Dallmeyer meniscus type landscape lens, where I unscrewed the lens and put it in a big shutter, in order to "take advantage" of the full aperture.
Normally I'd use it outside, but I had to try and see what it could do in portraiture...

very, very soft!!

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000079/165-dallmeyer.jpg

OH I thought it was the fact that she was dressed that was new for you :D
I like the effect, very dreamy, a great portrait. Foma 100, 13X18cm?
How would that lens manage high key portraits?
Gotta get me a new tank/drum/processor so I can shoot and develop 13X18 again.
Best regards

Jim Galli
22-Apr-2009, 06:36
This is something I continue to explore, these ancient "landscape meniscus" lens. I bought a large Lancaster last evening for this. Of course you have to open them up to their full f6. I have a Darlot also and it's wonderful. As soft or softer than many of the big name soft focus lenses.

Joe Smigiel
22-Apr-2009, 07:31
Emil,

These portraits are absolutely wonderful. Mesmerizing.

Joe

Emil Schildt
22-Apr-2009, 08:51
thank you all.

It is a fun world.
Difficult to "focus", but worth the try.
I'll do more soon.

Emil Schildt
22-Apr-2009, 08:52
Gotta get me a new tank/drum/processor so I can shoot and develop 13X18 again.
Best regards

a normal Paterson tank for 3 films are all you need!
easy to find, and easy to use.

soeren
22-Apr-2009, 11:52
a normal Paterson tank for 3 films are all you need!
easy to find, and easy to use.

Yeah we did that when visiting you in Vrå. Tried the same thing with 9X12 in Paterson 2 reel tanks. It works when doing it gently and carefully since the negs dont sit tight in the tanks.
Best regards Søren

Emil Schildt
1-May-2009, 16:00
keeping this thread alive...

this is an image of an angel, checking all, before Adam and Eve is arriving?

Dallmeyer Landscape meniscus type - reversed fitted in a shutter..

http://www.apug.org/gallery/data/2/dallmeyer4.jpg

Emil Schildt
3-May-2009, 03:41
I just bought an Oscar Simon "Kronarette" 300mm F4.5 (no aperture leaves) in a studio shutter..

Here are a couple of the first tests, in front of a wall of blooming Blackthorn (Sloe).

I think I like this! And will now see, what it can do as portrait lens..

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000083/451-eksperimentering-med-objektiver-2_800x600.jpg

and

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000083/452-eksperimentering-med-objektiver-2_800x600.jpg

Mark Sawyer
3-May-2009, 08:32
Lovely images, Emil! You seem to draw the best from these old lenses, and I always enjoy seeing your work.

(Is it a sign of old age that I'm more excited by the aberrations from an old piece of glass than by an image of a beautiful nude young woman?)

Emil Schildt
3-May-2009, 10:39
(Is it a sign of old age that I'm more excited by the aberrations from an old piece of glass than by an image of a beautiful nude young woman?)

hehe...
me too - sometimes..

just wait till I upload some really swirly images... You won't even notice the naked person in the center!! :D

Jim Galli
3-May-2009, 12:42
That's just cheatin'! You need to photograph something hideous and make it look good. Like this............

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Oregon2009/AutoCarHyperionS.jpg
a face to firghten children in their nightmares.........AUTOCAR

Gundlach Hyperion 9 inch on full plate. Tillamook Oregon

Emil Schildt
3-May-2009, 13:20
That's just cheatin'! You need to photograph something hideous and make it look good. Like this............

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Oregon2009/AutoCarHyperionS.jpg
a face to firghten children in their nightmares.........AUTOCAR

Gundlach Hyperion 9 inch on full plate. Tillamook Oregon

ok then, but your picture doesn't show....:rolleyes:

Jiri Vasina
3-May-2009, 13:29
ok then, but your picture doesn't show....:rolleyes:

And I was thinking it was just me...

Yes, Jim, your pictures do not show (none of them, not even the ones in the adds, not even the ones in your older posts. The problem seems to be with your web-server's name - DNS server does not find an IP address corresponding to your server's name "tonopahpictures.0catch.com". Hope this helps)

Jiri

Jim Galli
3-May-2009, 13:35
Hmmm. :confused: :confused:

They are loading fine in my computer both firefox and IE. I don't know what to do but wait and hope.

csant
3-May-2009, 13:58
They showed earlier (albeit very slowly) but not now. Seems to be a DNS issue and a server issue combined… Give it a bit of rest, and things should settle again at some point :)

Wimpler
3-May-2009, 14:33
Did not show earlier but do show now :D

Emil Schildt
12-May-2009, 13:47
Gandolfi Traditional 13x18 - FOMA 100. Oscar Simon "Kronarette" 300mm 4.5.

Stine drinking her coffee in my garden...

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000086/997-eksperimentering-med-objektiver-5.jpg

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000086/987-eksperimentering-med-objektiver-5.jpg

Laura in my garden....

csant
12-May-2009, 14:16
What a fabulous garden… ;)

Emil Schildt
12-May-2009, 14:18
What a fabulous garden… ;)

But it IS!!

I don't know how to get rid of all these creations.....:rolleyes:

csant
12-May-2009, 14:34
I don't know how to get rid of all these creations.....:rolleyes:

I could help, if you want to export them to Norway…

Mark Sawyer
12-May-2009, 16:15
There's a wonderful shimmer to the light passing through the old glass, Emil! Always magical!

Jim Galli
12-May-2009, 17:16
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/1114Portraits/1114_1Ross.jpg
smooches

I just want to jump in here and say......

It is such a pleasure to have my name associated in any way shape or form with this thread. The work in this thread has just been tremendous. Thank you!

Jim collum
12-May-2009, 21:38
Cooke PS945 wide open f4.5
Betterlight scan back and Ebony sv45ti

http://www.jcollum.com/fm/cowell2.jpg

f5.6
http://www.jcollum.com/fm/bones2.jpg

Jiri Vasina
12-May-2009, 22:01
Gandolfi Traditional 13x18 - FOMA 100. Oscar Simon "Kronarette" 300mm 4.5.

Stine drinking her coffee in my garden...

Laura in my garden....

Hello gandolfi,

those are some wonderful portraits, so dreamy, so romantic...

Jiri

Emil Schildt
13-May-2009, 04:20
Hello gandolfi,

those are some wonderful portraits, so dreamy, so romantic...

Jiri

Thanks Jiri.

And Jim and Jim.;)

so nice and different images..

I think I I'll start having dreams on owing a P945... Fantastic images!

stehei
13-May-2009, 12:52
no contrast, no sharpness, blurblur, that must be a 'in galli style!' ;)

regards

stefan

Joe Smigiel
13-May-2009, 20:47
Emil,

Those are wonderful images. You always inspire me.

Joe

Emil Schildt
14-May-2009, 02:03
Emil,

Those are wonderful images. You always inspire me.

Joe

thanks Joe - Likewise!!

Jim collum
15-May-2009, 00:29
Betterlight & 8 3/4" Verito (wide open)

http://www.jcollum.com/fm/20090513_Alviso_005a.jpg

100% crop (focus was at the doorway)
http://www.jcollum.com/fm/20090513_Alviso_005a-crop.jpg

Jim Galli
15-May-2009, 08:57

Beautiful and interesting departure for a Verito. Very calming.

Jim Galli
15-May-2009, 14:31
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Steinheil_n_Dallmeyer2/DallmeyerPortrait_1S.jpg
un-still life

If you look at the ad for the 10A I just sold you'll see these tea cups stacked very primly and waiting for a still life picture. That never got made because a wind gust blew them all onto the floor. I stacked up the broken pieces and made this instead.

This lens is new 2 me and one of the most interesting Petzval's in the cupboard. It is a Dallmeyer from the mid 1960's. Didn't know they made petzvals into the 1960's but this one is listed just as found in a 1967 Burke & James Catalog. Did B & J buy up old glass that was perfect and make the barrel for it? I wonder if Lynn Jones would remember. The engraving looks convincingly professional. It says Dallmeyer Portrait Lens 18" f5.6, nothing else. On the rearmost group is the tell-tale 1 11 111 1111 notches for the diffusing settings, just like 1880. Crinkle black paint and very 1960's looking. Single coated!

venchka
15-May-2009, 14:33
You are definitely on the good side of the little green men.

Sublime as always.

Mark Sawyer
15-May-2009, 16:22
Yes, a lovely image as always, Jim! And a happy ending to the tragic tale of those poor, broken blue willow cups. They did not die in vain!

BTW, there are still a number of lines of brand new Petzval telescopes being made today!

Don7x17
15-May-2009, 16:57

http://www.jcollum.com/fm/20090513_Alviso_005a.jpg

100% crop (focus was at the doorway)
http://www.jcollum.com/fm/20090513_Alviso_005a-crop.jpg

Nice image of Alviso docks....

Thomas Greutmann
16-May-2009, 05:50
These are from a walk in the woods last weekend. Swirl and zoom.

All taken with a no-name projection lens on a Linhof Technika IV, TMAX 100 developed in XTOL 1+0.

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000515-fi-bielefeld-wood-fern.jpg

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000517-fi-bielefeld-wood-leaves.jpg

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000518-fi-bielefeld-wood-path.jpg

monkeymon
17-May-2009, 15:43
Nohing much, tested my magnifier glass lens.. i have used this only twice before. I liked it and installed a aperture for it, it took me a long time to get around testing it. It's actually quite sharp at f11. These are wide open @ f3.

http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/jarvi_snadi.jpg

http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/kasvit_snadi.jpg

Jim Galli
17-May-2009, 16:00
Nohing much, tested my magnifier glass lens.. i have used this only twice before. I liked it and installed a aperture for it, it took me a long time to get around testing it. It's actually quite sharp at f11. These are wide open @ f3.

"nothing much" is inaccurate. Those are beautiful.

Mark Sawyer
17-May-2009, 19:07
"nothing much" is inaccurate. Those are beautiful.

Quite so! I do hope to see more...

Ben Syverson
17-May-2009, 21:49
I love the water image. Ever seen Wavelength (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength_(1967_film))?

Struan Gray
18-May-2009, 00:11
Jim, does your lens look like this:

http://www.lpfoto.se/swe/auktioner/objectWinInfoTidigare.asp?auktionsnamn=Auktion%2018%20den%2027%20april%202003&objektnr=122

That one is 30s, not 60s, but among the loveliest looking lenses I've seen.

Emil Schildt
18-May-2009, 05:03
Jim, does your lens look like this:

http://www.lpfoto.se/swe/auktioner/objectWinInfoTidigare.asp?auktionsnamn=Auktion%2018%20den%2027%20april%202003&objektnr=122

That one is 30s, not 60s, but among the loveliest looking lenses I've seen.

off topic, but nice looking auction.
I am not so good in swedish, so could you tell me, whether there could be a possibillity to make bids from abroad? (I'm from Denmark).

A couple of items call out for me....

EDIT: I think I figured it out..

monkeymon
18-May-2009, 05:03
Thanks for the comments.

Haven't seen the Wavelength, looked it up on youtube and found some confusing clips of it. I'll check if I can get the whole things from somewhere.

I have posted this before on rocks & stones, but it was only a partial scan.. but this is the image that got me interested on this piece of glass:

http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/kivi_snadi1.jpg

I'm still thinking a way to put this pictorial style working for me, even if it's soft.. i think it needs to be more gritty.

Struan Gray
18-May-2009, 07:21
EDIT: I think I figured it out..

Just to hammer home the point: that's an old auction from a few years back. There is an auction coming up in June, and the catalogue has just been published:

http://www.lpfoto.se/swe/auktioner/index.asp

Some interesting things, but nothing as cute as the art deco Dallmeyer. They will accept bids by email, and in English, but don't forget the 20% buyer's premium. I think lpfoto also now accept bids via eBay's live auction mechanism, but then there are extra fees to pay.

I have bought things from their auctions a few times, and always been happy. Their photos show the equipment at its best, but the ratings are honest: i.e. a 'c' item that looks great in the photo is still a 'c' item, so don't expect to get an overlooked gem. Unfortunately, since they started to be better known and attract foreign buyers the older lenses are not as cheap as they once were.

Emil Schildt
18-May-2009, 10:09
Just to hammer home the point: that's an old auction from a few years back. There is an auction coming up in June, and the catalogue has just been published:

http://www.lpfoto.se/swe/auktioner/index.asp

Some interesting things, but nothing as cute as the art deco Dallmeyer. They will accept bids by email, and in English, but don't forget the 20% buyer's premium. I think lpfoto also now accept bids via eBay's live auction mechanism, but then there are extra fees to pay.

I have bought things from their auctions a few times, and always been happy. Their photos show the equipment at its best, but the ratings are honest: i.e. a 'c' item that looks great in the photo is still a 'c' item, so don't expect to get an overlooked gem. Unfortunately, since they started to be better known and attract foreign buyers the older lenses are not as cheap as they once were.

Thanks - I figured out that it was an old auction, and I found the new one fine...

I still think there is a lens or two for me in there....:o

Gene McCluney
18-May-2009, 10:34
This lens is new 2 me and one of the most interesting Petzval's in the cupboard. It is a Dallmeyer from the mid 1960's. Didn't know they made petzvals into the 1960's but this one is listed just as found in a 1967 Burke & James Catalog. Did B & J buy up old glass that was perfect and make the barrel for it?

I think Burke & James was able to acquire a vast quantity of finished and semi-finished lenses as "spoils" of WW2, and this formed the basis of the Burke & James Lensbank which offered a huge variety of optics in the 1950's and 1960's. They did their own lens mounting, coating and finishing in-house during that time period. In the 1970's most of this remaining inventory was sold off with huge full page ads in Shutterbug. From these sales I was able to acquire (among others) a Coated Wollensak Rapid Rectilinear, a couple of nice coated Verito lenses, a 189mm Protar in shutter that will cover 11x14 (coated). And all for peanuts. Oh it was a glorious time.

Jim Galli
18-May-2009, 11:21
Struan, Oh how I wish these were so gorgeous as that lens you showed at the link. Still I am most pleased with what I have. Click on the photo to go to a page at my website that has 5 images done with the lenses, plus 3 views of the lenses, and finally the 1967 Burke and James catalog page that helps solve the mystery.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Steinheil_n_Dallmeyer2/SteinheilDallmeyer2lenses_1.jpg (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Steinheil_n_Dallmeyer2/Steinheil_n_Dallmeyer2.html)

Did B&J use Pre WWII spoils from these companies to 'create' these lenses in the 1960's? They could have used whoever was making their Carl Meyer house lenses to create barrels for the NOS old glass. Indeed the workmanship on these barrels has a great deal of family resemblance to the Carl Meyer series. Lynn??

monkeymon
18-May-2009, 11:57
Nice looking lenses, makes my magnifier glass look somewhat not so exiting... someday i might actually afford one of these.

It's strange how trioplans are one of the most expensive items on that catalog page, it seems they go for much less money these days than many of the other lenses on the page.

Struan Gray
18-May-2009, 12:16
Nice looking lenses Jim, and the photos aren't too shabby either.

That black crinkle paint shouts 'war surplus' to me, but it was common on laboratory optics and things like microscope stands from the 30s onwards. They won't have been war booty like the elements that made their way into the Carl Meyer lenses, but it's possible B&J bought up factory stock as the British manufacturers one by one withdrew from civilian lens production after the war.

Did you know that J.H. Dallmeyer wrote a treatise on photographic lenses: "Photographic Lenses: On Their Choice and Use"? I can't find an accessible online copy, but it might be worth tracking down a paper copy (there was a US edition), if only to see what the great man himself thought about these optics.

Gene McCluney
18-May-2009, 16:04
It is possible that B&J bought up close-out or surplus stocks from manufacturers, or even lots of used optics to refurbish, coat and sell during the Lensbank years.

MenacingTourist
20-May-2009, 07:42
http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/jarvi_snadi.jpg

This shot is stunning. Have you made prints to sell yet?

Alan.

Jim Galli
20-May-2009, 08:45
Something new with the Nicola Pershceid 12 inch. Done in Tillamook Oregon.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NicolaP/Foma8GMCscript12NicolaPerscheidWideOpenS.jpg
GMC K16

monkeymon
20-May-2009, 10:10
This shot is stunning. Have you made prints to sell yet?

Alan.

Have to say, I haven't even though about selling a print ever. But thanks for the compliment, nice to know what other people think of my images. I usually just see some possibilities but i never seem to be satisfied.

Mark Sawyer
20-May-2009, 12:12
Something new with the Nicola Pershceid 12 inch. Done in Tillamook Oregon.

Lovely soft tonalities, Jim! You and that Perscheid get along well.

But after seeing a lot of your work, I really don't think it really falls under the "Galli" style. Maybe if you practice more you can get it right... ;)

Scott Schroeder
20-May-2009, 12:20
This plant is commonly known as mother-in-law tongue.....
taken with a century 10A and dallmeyer 4B on whole plate aluminum for wet plate collodion day.
http://www.schroederworks.com/Wetplate/WPCD_Plant.jpg

Jim Galli
20-May-2009, 12:35
Lovely soft tonalities, Jim! You and that Perscheid get along well.

But after seeing a lot of your work, I really don't think it really falls under the "Galli" style. Maybe if you practice more you can get it right... ;)

When you're right, you're right, but I've got pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of time to work on it.

Scott, has your mother in law seen this?

Steve M Hostetter
23-May-2009, 07:26
new scan of an old image, 16" Kodak @f4.5 efke25 in D-76 cropped neg scan

csant
26-May-2009, 23:36
Feeble attempt #1 at this. And I don't even have a SF lens - so a magnifying glass helps out… (200mm focal length, aperture f/2.6!). But it was fun, and makes me wonder how I can put this thing to better use (it has potential, I actually like how it retains some details). Probably I might also have to learn how to focus soft focus "lenses" better. A larger image is available over at Flickr. Charten 5x7, magnifying glass, Fomapan 100.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3411/3569613158_fff74d1d4d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/csant/3569613158/)

Jim Galli
27-May-2009, 08:56
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/MemDay09Oxyn_PinkhamIV_BishCrk/McCormickDeeringPSivS.jpg
McCormick Deering, Benton Hot Springs, Ca.

8X10, 14" Pinkham & Smith Series IV Visual Quality, f5

Mark Sawyer
27-May-2009, 10:05
Csant ~ Having played around with magnifying glasses a bit, I'd suggest a longer focal length for 5x7, maybe something in the 10 to 12 inch range. Those short ones just get too wild at the corners, (though the effect works well on that particular image!).

You can also calm them down a bit with an aperture added right in front of the lens, though I like them wide open, (mine are all around f/3.8). After all, more is better! :D

Jim Graves
27-May-2009, 11:16
Csant ... Very nice effect.

Here is another magnifying glass image using one of Mark Sawyer's smaller 49-cent lens ... I just cut off the handle and glued the lens (retaining rim and all) to a regular graflex lens board.

Take a look at Jim Galli's website for a good number of different soft-focus effects (and subjects.) ... also, if you can find a copy, Mark and his class had a really nice spread in the May/June 2008 issue of View Camera magazine ... portraits taken with a magnifying glass lens using a strobe in a dark studio. The same issue has an interesting selective focus portfolio by Dirk McDonnell using swing/tilt/etc. to attain the desired in-focus/out-of-focus areas:

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Willwebcopy.jpg
(4x5 Speed Graphic, ~f 3.8, 1/250 sec, Acros 100, HC-110 (dilution h))

Blueberrydesk
27-May-2009, 11:37
Beautiful shot, Jim. I've managed to buy the magnifiers, now I just need to glue them onto a lensboard. I really love that look...

csant
27-May-2009, 11:45
Jim and Mark, thanks for the nice words. As a matter of fact I got inspired to playing with a magnifying lens after reading the thread Mark started about the portrait shots he did at school with such glasses. Mark, thanks for the suggestion for a longer FL, I will try finding something - was also considering of moving in closer with this one.

And as far as SF is concerned, I know Jim's website well - and really like the work he does (chapeaux!). Have also been reading all info on SF lenses and photography I could get my hands on (including Dr Russ Young's excellent dissertation (https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/handle/10023/505) on the matter). I still have a lot to learn…

Jan Pedersen
29-May-2009, 20:35
Got the Verito out of the bag on Memorial day and thought this one would fit in the Jim Galli thread.
Brownsville, OR
Laymans Pinkham aka Verito 8 3/4 on 8x10 Orientals new WT paper

csant
30-May-2009, 09:45
A different, early way of trying soft focus was by means of double exposure - once stopped down to give the sharpness in details, and once again wide open…

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3578139899_a0ff8039ab.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/csant/3578139899/)

A larger version of the shot is available over at Flickr.

Steve M Hostetter
30-May-2009, 13:11
Purple Lilac, deardorff/8x10 Tmax400 405mm 4.5 @4.5 D-76 bellows factor of 4-1/3

Steve M Hostetter
30-May-2009, 16:26
Rose glow, Deardorff/8x10 Tmax400 405mm 4.5 @f8 D-76 bellows factor 4-1/3

Added: unknown flower, same info

goamules
18-Jun-2009, 08:12
Glass bell, half plate collodion on aluminum. Unknown early f4 CDV or Gem lens, sans stop.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/3637783064_e766e19046.jpg

Larger version (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2462/3637783064_a64affa5a5_o.png)

Garrett

Vaughn
18-Jun-2009, 08:20
I posted this in the June 2009 portraits thread but it belongs here, too...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27604&d=1245303267

Vaughn

Data:
Alex, Last Day of the Little League Season, 2009
Speed Graphic, with magnifying glass lens
Type 55 (out-dated, 1986)
Scanned print on Medalist F4, (outdated, 1974)

Jim Galli
18-Jun-2009, 18:21
Gorgeous work here! A new one this week for me;

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/MisclMenisci/LBBandCo/BumbleBeeS.jpg
bumblebee

1928 Chevy Speeder

Paul Metcalf
18-Jun-2009, 21:13
Not your Bumblebee Jim, but maybe it was serviced with this sometime in the distant past?;) Universal Extra Rapid Aplanat, f/8 (WO).

Paul Metcalf
19-Jun-2009, 07:40
A little more wild this one using the front lens (covers 8x10 with light at least) of a little projection lens (vignettes on 4x5) acquired from GGM, Inc (Galli's Green Men, Inc) a few years back.

eddie
28-Jun-2009, 15:30
testing my Jamin cone lens. 12 inch f4.5 ish. i have had it for several months now and just now got around to playing with it. i will shoot some "traditional" portraits with it later. but for today it is a swirl fest.

not sure which i like better, the horizontal or the vertical. what do you think?

collodion on 8x10 aluminum.

i have had some PMs about the lens. so here is a quick snap of it of it

Jim Galli
28-Jun-2009, 16:20
testing my Jamin cone lens. 12 inch f4.5 ish. i have had it for several months now and just now got around to playing with it. i will shoot some "traditional" portraits with it later. but for today it is a swirl fest.

not sure which i like better, the horizontal or the vertical. what do you think?

collodion on 8x10 aluminum.

Wow, that's a swirlin' fool of a lens isn't it.

eddie
28-Jun-2009, 16:28
Wow, that's a swirlin' fool of a lens isn't it.

yup. sure is. the flint lens has "A Darlot 1863" written on it......

frank hoerauf
1-Jul-2009, 14:14
awesome lens you got there edward!!

mandoman7
3-Jul-2009, 14:12
Long live the Galli thread!

http://images44.fotki.com/v1535/photos/2/1219782/7565497/Ben15b-vi.jpg

5in projection petzval w/Efke 25

Daniel_Buck
3-Jul-2009, 14:14
John, great photograph!

mandoman7
4-Jul-2009, 10:12
Thanks Daniel

Andrew ren
4-Jul-2009, 19:14
Glass bell, half plate collodion on aluminum. Unknown early f4 CDV or Gem lens, sans stop.

This is nice!

Andrew

Steve M Hostetter
5-Jul-2009, 07:55
Brenkert Detroit 8" E.O.F. no waterhouse slot brass barrel lens 8x10" chrome

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Jul-2009, 09:24
John, that sure is a great shot. I like the in focus area also. Keep that lens!

Jim

Daniel_Buck
5-Jul-2009, 10:22
think I forgot to post this one here. old Fujichrome 64t expired by decade or so

http://404photography.net/wip/dodge_color_01.jpg

Alex Wei
10-Jul-2009, 09:15
shot with a magnifying glass on Fuji 160S film. F2 wide open:D
http://www.pbase.com/highpeak/image/114700671.jpg

Jim Galli
10-Jul-2009, 09:26
Beautiful work. I just never think in color at all for LF. Once upon a time I used to do my own E6. Guess I got lazy. I wish there was powder chems for E-6.

Mark Sawyer
10-Jul-2009, 10:08
Lovely, Alex! Just lovely!

Alex Wei
10-Jul-2009, 11:34
Thanks, Mark and Jim, I think I will keep the glass on my speed graphic all the time :)

Jon Wilson
12-Jul-2009, 16:59
Here is shot taken over the 4th of July weekend with an estimated 8 inch Voightlander Petzval which actually had the two rear cells reversed.
Here is another link to the shot on another LF website-
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9457417
Jon

Emil Schildt
16-Jul-2009, 05:34
I recently bought an ancient Ross Petzval lens - about 120mm Fl.

when unsharp on my jasmin, the flower looked almost like angel wings... and sure enough: an angel suddenly appeared (again) in my garden....;)

made as a toned cyanotype..

http://www.phosee.dk/pictures/00000109/284-an-angel-in-my-garden.jpg

Pete Watkins
16-Jul-2009, 11:21
Gandolfi,
Thats wonderful, I've just been all around my garden and only found dog crap.
It looks like a fairly straight Cyanotype, what did you do to tone it? All the toned ones that I've seen are brown due to the use of tannin products (tannic acid, cold tea, coffee etc.).
Best wishes,
Pete.

soeren
16-Jul-2009, 12:02
Emil thats a great image. With all those angels are you sure your adress is not eden? :)
Best regards

Emil Schildt
16-Jul-2009, 12:50
Gandolfi,
Thats wonderful, I've just been all around my garden and only found dog crap.
It looks like a fairly straight Cyanotype, what did you do to tone it? All the toned ones that I've seen are brown due to the use of tannin products (tannic acid, cold tea, coffee etc.).
Best wishes,
Pete.

thanks.
yes - the tonung is suttle. A rather darkish original - then bleached only for a short while in soda (potassium carbonate), and then a short time in Tannic acid.

simple.

Thanks for both your and Sørens comments.

Joe Smigiel
16-Jul-2009, 16:12
Another wonderful image Emil.

Mark Sawyer
16-Jul-2009, 16:26
Heavenly, Emil! Just heavenly... :)

Jim Graves
16-Jul-2009, 16:39
Very nice Alex! ... Mark, it looks like you've started a whole new sub-genre.

Joe Smigiel
17-Jul-2009, 09:26
Heavenly, Emil! Just heavenly... :)

Wish I'd said that.

Jim Galli
18-Jul-2009, 22:04
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Wee_Petzvals/Sunray/toytrain.jpg
tin train

the only thing that shows up in my garden is a rusty tin train.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Wee_Petzvals/Sunray/flowers_1.jpg
summer flowers

and some of my wife's summer flowers.

Steve M Hostetter
19-Jul-2009, 10:57
4x5 instant 8-3/4"

Steve M Hostetter
9-Aug-2009, 18:12
casualties of nature, 300mm Goerz @ 6.8 on 8x10" Tmax400 scan neg

eddie
6-Sep-2009, 17:45
we just got back from a great day at steam town pa. they had the machine shop open. awesome!....if you like that kind of stuff. they had some of the greatest lathes, milling machines and the like i did not know where to start of finish. i kept asking myself "what would galli do"

i have some more in the soup now but so far all i can say is galli would have brought some vintage glass....i on the other hand just made do with my 90mm f5.6 at f8.

the second one bums me a bit as i forgot to take off the caution tape! i know galli would not have done that! :) 90mm again.

eddie

ps. i will make some prints tonight....my scanner hates me....still!

Robert Hughes
7-Sep-2009, 11:43
I have a question about all these wonderful soft-focus shots - is this some sort of neo-pictorialist movement that AA & friends were unable to stamp out?

Steve M Hostetter
7-Sep-2009, 11:57
for me, it is the natural way to see ...
sometimes I feel like just photographing what I see

Mark Sawyer
7-Sep-2009, 13:36
I have a question about all these wonderful soft-focus shots - is this some sort of neo-pictorialist movement that AA & friends were unable to stamp out?

No, AA and friends very effectively stamped it out, and Pictorialism is quite dead. We're just feeding on the rotting flesh of a long-dead art-photography style.

Thus, rather than being a "Neo-Pictorialist Movement", this should be termed a "Zombie-Pictorialist Movement", but instead of stumbling around moaning "brains... brains...", we Zombie-Pictorialists stumble around mumbling "beauty... beauty..."

It's really kinda creepy when you think about it... :eek:

Jim Galli
8-Sep-2009, 11:25
Neat stuff Eddie. Here's a new one from Labor Day weekend.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Pinkham-Smith/15SAseriesII/BentonHotSprgGilbarco15PS_1s.jpg
gilbarco-calco-meter

Pinkham & Smith Series I SA 15" @ f9, 8X10

Ken Lee
8-Sep-2009, 14:00

Minor White wrote about "Things for what else they are".

That "what else" includes visual patterns, fine tonality, textures, etc. It can also include selective focus, and the beauty of how lenses can render objects with blur.

When they work together nicely, all those "what elses" can add up to something "even more". Perhaps it was that, to which Minor White was referring.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/l61.jpg
Maine Coast, May 2009
Sinar P, 210 Braunschweig Heliar
4x5 Kodak TMY, Pyrocat HD

Jim Galli
8-Sep-2009, 14:16

Minor White wrote about "Things for what else they are".

That "what else" includes visual patterns, fine tonality, textures, etc. It can also include selective focus, and the beauty of how lenses can render objects with blur.

When they work together nicely, all those "what elses" can add up to something "even more". Perhaps it was that, to which Minor White was referring.

Maine Coast, May 2009
Sinar P, 210 Braunschweig Heliar
4x5 Kodak TMY, Pyrocat HD

Beautiful high key shot Ken.

gbogatko
9-Sep-2009, 20:24
From an old CCC pine forest.
14.5 Verito at f/6. Foma 8x10 200
--George
http://www.inluxeditions.com/hidden/WatchungPineForest.jpg

And a portrait of one of my wife's friends.
14.5 Verito at f/8. Foma 8x10 200
http://www.inluxeditions.com/hidden/Joy.jpg

Dave Wooten
9-Sep-2009, 20:34
Wow, these are both really lovely!

Dave Wooten
9-Sep-2009, 21:03
It is really a good thing to check out Ken Lee's gallery/website..

Thanks Ken and Jim

eddie
10-Sep-2009, 03:40
great stuff george!

we missed you at the last outing. come out and play more....and bring all your goodies...:)

Jim Galli
10-Sep-2009, 11:29
Both very nice George. That first one has a classic style like it could have appeared in one of the pictorial annuals in 1919.

gbogatko
10-Sep-2009, 12:17
Both very nice George. That first one has a classic style like it could have appeared in one of the pictorial annuals in 1919.

Thanks. The top one looks like it could include someone holding their very pale head, mouth wide open, yelling........

gb

Craig Griffiths
20-Sep-2009, 05:10
2 from the beginning of a project I am working on at the moment. I have a fascination with cemeteries and am capturing some of the statuary and ornaments. Both images were taken using an ex Jim Galli 12 inch Bausch and Lomb petzval on 8x10 Arista EDU 100.

I still have heaps to learn about how to use the lens but it is getting lots of use of late and I like the results I am getting from it.

jb7
20-Sep-2009, 05:14
All lovely stuff-
very inspiring-
Especially like the portrait, and the forest, and the beetle series,
if I were to pick some out-

ImSoNegative
22-Sep-2009, 23:09
Here is one of my cat, cant believe she stood still, this shot on a toyo view 45gII using a 6x9 back. i use a prontor 3 shutter, it fits perfectly over the front of the lens

Jim collum
23-Sep-2009, 00:12
.... and who says you can't shoot wildlife with a scanning back :)

Betterlight, No IR block, Holmes Booth & Haydens lens (full frame)

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/2/file_00a.jpg

(i think this is one of the first cat pictures i've posted.. please forgive me :D