PDA

View Full Version : When shadow = your subject

Heroique
16-Nov-2008, 16:47
How often have you treated shadows as your principal subject?

I’d enjoy seeing your photos, and what drew your attention to ... the darkness.

This winter scene in Seattle bewitched me: It’s a Big Leaf Maple projecting skeletal-like shadows on a lonesome field. Perhaps I didn’t use the best film for the shot – Polaroid Type 55. In my experience, such a contrasty film often hides details under ink-black shadows – as happened just below the tree’s crown. But lower down, enough bark and grass showed up in the shadows to please me. :rolleyes:

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Polaroid Type 55
¾ sec. @ f22
(Opened-up ½ stop for reciprocity)
Camera level and neutral
Epson 4990

eddie
16-Nov-2008, 17:15
here is a serious i did last winter. i used my 4x5 pinhole camera. 75mm "focal length" f216.

not sure which i like the best. which one do you like the best?

eddie

Erik Larsen
16-Nov-2008, 17:27
I like to play with shadows and high contrast stuff as well. Sometimes I like really harsh light and underexpose a bit to get detail less shadows which just print as a deep black. Not everyones cup of tea but I enjoy doing it.
regards
Erik

Heroique
16-Nov-2008, 19:09
here is a serious i did last winter. i used my 4x5 pinhole camera. 75mm "focal length" f216.

eddie

Wow! All four photos are superbly fear-provoking.

Like each tree is observing its Dark Side in a mirror.

jnantz
16-Nov-2008, 23:36
i always shoot shadows with smaller formats
but only once in a while have a LF ready when the shadows
appear ...

C. D. Keth
17-Nov-2008, 00:17

eddie

I feel like the tree is sneaking up on the house.

redrockcoulee
17-Nov-2008, 09:09
My wife's MFA is all about shadows. I am amazed that with the number of shadow images she has taken these last two years that there are any left for the rest of you to take :)

Steve Gledhill
17-Nov-2008, 09:44
How often have you treated shadows as your principal subject?

Not often - but here are a couple:

The first is a sort of negative shadow picture.
The second is the shadow of a handrail on a flight of stone steps - looking down.

Heroique
17-Nov-2008, 19:54
A few viewers of the initial post were curious about the Big Leaf Maple’s Seattle location. It was in Volunteer Park.

However, I have some unhappy news to report. (Parents may wish to hide their children’s eyes before clicking the thumbnails below.)

The city took down the tree. Imagine my grief on this day. :( Apparently, someone thought it wasn’t rooted well enough, and might fall on people who gathered under its magnificent summer shade. (I took these photos only weeks after the winter-shadow shot, with a Nikon FM3a camera and 35mm f/2 AIS lens.)

eddie
17-Nov-2008, 20:07
Not often - but here are a couple:

The first is a sort of negative shadow picture.
The second is the shadow of a handrail on a flight of stone steps - looking down.

awesome "negative shadow"!

A few viewers of the initial post were curious about the Big Leaf Maple’s Seattle location. It was in Volunteer Park.

However, I have some unhappy news to report. (Parents may wish to hide their children’s eyes before clicking the thumbnails below.)

The city took down the tree. Imagine my grief on this day. :( Apparently, someone thought it wasn’t rooted well enough, and might fall on people who gathered under its magnificent summer shade. (I took these photos only weeks after the winter-shadow shot, with a Nikon FM3a camera and 35mm f/2 AIS lens.)

too bad.....just goes to show people are stupid! it was probably fine.......

Steve M Hostetter
17-Nov-2008, 20:11
Taken near Fort Recovery Ohio and the souce of the Wabash river

Vaughn
17-Nov-2008, 21:04
Some times photography should be just for the fun of it...

Vaughn's Shadow Takes a Vacation
scanned 5x7 contact print

Jim Ewins
17-Nov-2008, 23:14
Our Silver Image group did shadows several months ago. There were plenty of good subjects here on the top of Queen Anne. Lovely tree shadow there. Heroique.

walter23
18-Nov-2008, 00:12

People are always doing dumb-ass things in the name of safety. Time for more recklessness, I say.

(Of course we must abolish civil suit lawyers first).

walter23
18-Nov-2008, 00:13
I like the first and the third the best. Nice images.

eddie

ljsegil
18-Nov-2008, 03:58
Seen in its own shadow.
LJS

Heroique
19-Nov-2008, 12:41
Some times photography should be just for the fun of it...

Vaughn's Shadow Takes a Vacation
scanned 5x7 contact print

Looks like you're holding a child's hand near a cliff.

-----

Here’s a Red Oak (I mean its shadow) on a sunny winter day in my Seattle neighborhood. :cool:

I’m hiding with my back up against the tree.

The type 55 was being kind – it preserved a little detail in the harsh shadow!

This always looked human to me. If you think so too, what gesture do you see?

Tachi 4x5
Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
Polaroid Type 55 (shot ISO 25)
1.5 sec. @ f32 (added ½ stop for reciprocity)
Camera bed tilted down
Slight lens forward-tilt (for foreground detail)

GSX4
19-Nov-2008, 14:07
Here's one

Tony Karnezis
23-Nov-2008, 21:06
Nice photo Andrew.

walter23
23-Nov-2008, 22:21
Here's one

You the man.

Donald Miller
24-Nov-2008, 00:50
recent print

G Benaim
4-Dec-2008, 10:43
Not quite the whole subject, but certainly a strong compositional element. 5x7 EFke 100 printed on Azo in Amidol. First really good print using this combo, let me know what you all think.

MenacingTourist
4-Dec-2008, 11:34
Here's the ubiquitous self portrait shadow shot. This time with my 6yr old son. I believe this was made on world toy camera day 2007. Obviously this isn't LF (it's from a Diana), so if the mods don't approve please yank at will :)

Alan.