PDA

View Full Version : polariod type 55 clone

arca andy
16-Nov-2008, 13:43
Polariod Type 55 is (was) one of my favorite films, my problem is that I am just about to use my last few sheets, boo hoo. I want to imitate that lovely, soft Type 55 effect with sheet film, however it seems to be more than just a soft emulsion.....
But before I start down the route of testing different films and developers I thought you folks might have some ideas on how I may achieve this. My darkroom facilities are limited so I would like to do as much as possible at the negative/camera stage
Thanks for your thoughts:confused:

CP Goerz
16-Nov-2008, 22:35
Perhaps try a microdol-X type developer, it'll soften the edge of the grain down rather nicely.

Vaughn
16-Nov-2008, 23:16
Perhaps try a microdol-X type developer, it'll soften the edge of the grain down rather nicely.

That, and a nice slow conventional film perhaps?

Efke25? http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1912025-Fotokemika-Efke-PL-25-M-iso-25-4x5-inches-50-sheets?cat_id=404

Vaughn

Don Dudenbostel
17-Nov-2008, 11:58
In the early 70's my Polaroid rep told me that 55 is actually Panatomic-X. As you know Pan-x isn't made any more. Just to see I exposed some 55 but didn't process it in camera. I removed the unprocessed film and ran it in DK-50. As best I could determine it was Pan-x. The closest thing I've found to Pan-x / 55 effect is Adox / Efle 50 processed in D-76. It's a beauty of a film that's soft in contrast and has full shadows and open highlights. It's not exactly like 55 because IMO 55 was a little thin in the shadows when highlights were correct. You might try Adox 50 and see what you think. Experiment with different developers and times. In any case it's a stunning film and looks like a 40's/50's emulsion. Adox claims it's a remake of the original emulsion from that era and from my experience I would say this is true. I haven't used DK-50 with it but DK-50 was my primary sheet film developer of the 60's and into the mid 70's. Couple this film, developer combo with some vintage lenses and you might have a great look. I've done this with Bergger (basically super-XX) 200 and DK-50 and shot it through my 1930 vintage Leica glass and had a very vintage look.

Have fun!

arca andy
18-Nov-2008, 02:05
Wow.Thanks for your all time and your fantastic, knowledgable responses. I off to buy some film and give it a go. Give me a week or two and I'll post the results. Many thanks again.

mcfactor
18-Nov-2008, 07:08
You could also try Adox Pan 25 (from freestyle), its one of the thinest, clearest-base films ive seen.

icefan13
18-Nov-2008, 12:21
One of my favorite features of this film is the funky edges. Is there any way to replicate those?

David A. Goldfarb
18-Nov-2008, 12:30
The look of the Type 55 neg in part comes from the monobath process used to develop it. Try a slow to medium speed traditional film in Crawley's FX-6a, and you'll be in the ballpark. I've processed Efke PL100 in FX-6a, and it's in the vicinity.

Vaughn
18-Nov-2008, 12:56
One of my favorite features of this film is the funky edges. Is there any way to replicate those?

Sure -- it is called PhotoShop:p