PDA

View Full Version : Schneider SA 72 90 XL

more photography
16-Nov-2008, 05:39
For thise who own eith of these lenses, I know it is recomended they you use the Cf with them, however using them on a 5x4 camera and a normal landscape scene, would you use a CF, and under what conditions you would use one, how much tilt and shift before a CF is necessary, if at all.

I am have just acquired a 72Xl and will be testing it, however would like to hear your expoerience.

Blumine
16-Nov-2008, 06:15
I have used both, though I only currently use the 72mm. I never have needed the centre filer on 4x5 on either lens. If you were using extreme movements or 5x7 then it would be necessary, but for typical landscape type stuff I have never thought one was needed.

Blumine

more photography
16-Nov-2008, 06:21
I have used both, though I only currently use the 72mm. I never have needed the centre filer on 4x5 on either lens. If you were using extreme movements or 5x7 then it would be necessary, but for typical landscape type stuff I have never thought one was needed.

Blumine

Thanks Blumine

Do you use graduated filters with your 72xl to balance out the sky, if so what system?

jb7
16-Nov-2008, 06:26
I use the 72, mostly for architecture on transparency film,
and don't know how I got away with not using a centre filter for so long-

I suppose it wouldn't be so critical using neg, or with limited movements,
but if you want to get close to the edge of the circle,
then a centre filter will be necessary-

I've seen these discussions before-
it really comes down to how and what you shoot-

j

Blumine
16-Nov-2008, 15:35
I am using the less system.  I use a standard 95mm ring and have no problems.
Blumine

mrossano
9-Dec-2008, 12:50
I have seen a number of examples with these and other wide angle lenses, posted to this forum, where the photographer did not use a center filter, and used his/her results to show how the CF wasn't needed. My personal opinion is that every one of these examples was proof that the CF *was* needed. Even in black and white, I have found the amount of falloff to be quite unattractive. I suppose this means that it's a matter of taste.

Drew Wiley
9-Dec-2008, 13:26
A lot also depends upon the film you are using, and how you intend to print. Color
transparency films are not going to survive this degree of fall-off very well, unless you want that kind of darkened corner look.

John Brady
9-Dec-2008, 13:57
I have the 72xl and 90xl and center filter.

On 4x5 I personally didn't see the need for the cf with color or b&w but as mrossano points out he does not like the look. For me I like a little fall off and quite often burn in the edges to add more. For my b&w landscape work I like the way it pulls the viewer into the scene. This is a very subjective thing so you will have to be the judge.

For a while I had a 5x8 camera and found it necessary to use the cf with the 72 for color but not b&w, this was especially true whenever there is a big clear blue sky.

I now use the 90xl on 8x10, for color I use the cf but not always for b&w. I know the 90 isn't supposed to cover 8x10 but with just a smidge of cropping it works quit nicely.
www.timeandlight.com

(wow! 200th post, yipee)

Steve M Hostetter
9-Dec-2008, 14:59
Shot w/ Schneider 90mm 5.6 XL on 5x7" w/ small amount of tilt and shift.. No CF filter used