PDA

View Full Version : Schneider G claron 150mm

more photography
16-Nov-2008, 03:00
There is one on sale boxed and in mint condition copal 0.

What do you guys think of theis on a 4x5, good enough and what price would you pay.

Brian Stein
16-Nov-2008, 04:44
The g-clarons are small, sharp, and they have large coverage: I use a 150mm for 5x7. They are dimmer for composing compared to the f4.5 -- 5.6 common in this focal length. They do need to be stopped down to f22 or so to get good infinity sharpness as they are designed for 1:1. Pricewise in shutter they seem to run 150-400USD on ebay

Pete Watkins
16-Nov-2008, 07:33
I think that my 150 is great. I bought it new from Robert White's in 2002 for £212-00 plus the dreaded VAT but I don't regret it. As Brian says, it covers 5x7 as well, so It'll be there when you move up from 4x5. A 150 G-Claron and a 203 Ektar cover about 95% of my needs on 5x7. I also read on this forum (and it was never disputed) that the late G-Clarons were slightly adjusted for L.F. photography rather than process work.
Pete.

Toyon
16-Nov-2008, 08:16
the 150 G Claron is a great lens for specialty applications, but not the best choice for a general purpose lens. For example, it is not very sharp wide open, offers less control over depth-of-field than a faster lens, and is more difficult to focus under low light conditions. It excels in moderate macro applications and for light weight travel.

dwhistance
16-Nov-2008, 15:57
I'd stick to a standard F5.6 plasmat if I were you - much easier to focus in poor light and you don't really benefit from the reduction in lens size/weight until you get to longer lenses.

David Whistance

seepaert
23-Nov-2008, 13:32
The G-claron series was designed for use in graphic reproduction camera's now practically obsolete. Most are at their best at 1 to 1 reproduction. In a way, its a macro lens. A printer would seldom use it beyond about 1 to 5. It was designed with emphasis on strait lines and maximum contrast, because that's what a printer wants. The reproduction camera seldom needs a shutter, the exposure is regulated by turning on and off the lamps. But the design does accept one, so many have been equipped with one.

Jon Wilson
23-Nov-2008, 14:39
It is a great little lens. Here is a link to a shot I took using my 150mm g-claron.
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3445998
Jon

Toyon
23-Nov-2008, 17:04
It is a great little lens. Here is a link to a shot I took using my 150mm g-claron.
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3445998
Jon

There is something hazy/bluish in the bottom areas of the photo? That in the original?

Don Dudenbostel
23-Nov-2008, 18:33
I second it as a fantastic general purpose lens plus being excellent for close focus. I have a 150, 240 and 305 plus two red dot artar graphic arts lenses that i've used on location and in the studio for thirty years (RD artars). The advantage of the G Claron over the RD is much greater coverage but about the same image quality.

Jon Wilson
23-Nov-2008, 19:19
There is something hazy/bluish in the bottom areas of the photo? That in the original?

No it isn't in the print and I am not certain it shows on my monitor either....BUT I have been tied to my desk all day and everything looks bluish to me at this point.:eek:
Jon

Jon Wilson
23-Nov-2008, 19:24
I second it as a fantastic general purpose lens plus being excellent for close focus. I have a 150, 240 and 305 plus two red dot artar graphic arts lenses that i've used on location and in the studio for thirty years (RD artars). The advantage of the G Claron over the RD is much greater coverage but about the same image quality.

True, but if one finds the Kowa Graphics....IMO they are as good or better than the
G-clarons and have greater coverage. The downside on the Kowa Graphic lens is that the 240mm and 305mm are a direct fit in a larger copal 3 while the 150mm & 210mm Kowa Graphic cells are direct fit into a copal 0 and 1 respectively. The G-clarons fit into a copal 1 or 0. I personally don't mind the larger copal shutters for I use them on my V8 or my ULF 11x14.
Jon

Jim Becia
24-Nov-2008, 05:34
True, but if one finds the Kowa Graphics....IMO they are as good or better than the
G-clarons and have greater coverage. The downside on the Kowa Graphic lens is that the 240mm and 305mm are a direct fit in a larger copal 3 while the 150mm & 210mm Kowa Graphic cells are direct fit into a copal 0 and 1 respectively. The G-clarons fit into a copal 1 or 0. I personally don't mind the larger copal shutters for I use them on my V8 or my ULF 11x14.
Jon

Jon,

I just checked my Graphic Kowa 150 and it's in a Copal 1 shutter just like the Graphic Kowa 210. Jim

Don Dudenbostel
24-Nov-2008, 05:50
I understand the Kowas are fine lenses but I've never seen one in person. The only place I've seen them is on the auction site.

Large shutters aren't usually a big problem for me but it is nice to have a set of very compact lenses like the G Clarons.

Eugen Mezei
28-Oct-2023, 07:09
My understanding from different readings is that G-Claron is not G-Claron. Under the same name there were different constructions with different characteristics. As far as I understood the older ones are Dagors and the newer ones modified Plasmats.
What I do not know, how can one identify, what he is buying? Also, how the different versions differ in characteristics.

Kevin Crisp
28-Oct-2023, 07:45
Since the question is 15+ years old.....

jnantz
28-Oct-2023, 08:22
My understanding from different readings is that G-Claron is not G-Claron. Under the same name there were different constructions with different characteristics. As far as I understood the older ones are Dagors and the newer ones modified Plasmats.
What I do not know, how can one identify, what he is buying? Also, how the different versions differ in characteristics.

not sure what the differences of the older and newer ones are or how to tell the difference, I have a 30 year old version plasmat design? it's great to enlarge with and to do copy work.
and .... https://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?110660-G-Claron-casket-set

Drew Wiley
28-Oct-2023, 08:49
G-Clarons were a line of Schneider graphics and repro lenses going many decades back which sometimes did double-duty as enlarging and tabletop studio lenses, and included examples with a dagor formulation. The later better-corrected plasmat ones are the kind which Schneider marketed in shutter for studio close-up purposes, which then caught on for general photography once people realized how versatile they are. At that point, Schneider dropped the manufacture of the last of their official Kern Dagor series because the G-Claron was a better performer in their view, and quite a bit easier to make (per a personal conversation with someone from Schneider).

Dan Fromm
28-Oct-2023, 13:48

A link to the answer is in "the list" in the Schneider LF lenses section. If you don't know what the list is, please ask.

Lachlan 717
28-Oct-2023, 19:15

Do a search here about their S/Ns. I think they transitioned from Dagor to Plasmat around 11xxxxxx.

phdgent
29-Oct-2023, 00:47
Th G-Claron was a so called "flat field lens".
I used it for art reproductions, mine was a 210mm, it is great lens (but not that fast)!
I sold it long time ago along wit my Sinar Norma 13x18.