PDA

View Full Version : Lens cap size for Symmar-S 135mm MC f5.6

Jeff Bannow
13-Nov-2008, 06:05
I have a pristine Symmar-S 135mm MC f5.6 that is missing both the front and rear caps. It looks like, at least on the front element, using a clip-on lens cap might scratch the glass. Does anyone know the slip-on cap sizes needed, and maybe where I could locate them?

Thanks!

Aender Brepsom
13-Nov-2008, 07:01
You'll need a 51mm push-on cap.

There are a few of them on eBay right now (not Schneider but other brands), but you should also be able to get such a cap in many stores. Kaiser makes generic caps in many sizes.

Jeff Bannow
13-Nov-2008, 07:04
You'll need a 51mm push-on cap.

There are a few of them on eBay right now (not Schneider but other brands), but you should also be able to get such a cap in many stores. Kaiser makes generic caps in many sizes.

Thanks. The 51mm is for the front, yes? Do you know what size the rear element needs?

Aender Brepsom
13-Nov-2008, 07:11
Yes, the 51mm is for the front. I don't know what size the rear caps needs to be, but since you have the lens, why not measure the rear element with a caliper?

BradS
13-Nov-2008, 10:53
The 135mm Symmar-S (at least the two that I have) takes 49mm filters up front and so, a 51mm slip on lens cap (as already pointed out). I like to use the Pentax brand snap in caps - they do not touch the glass. I can check the size of the rear when I get home tonight but, I think it may be...42mm or so?

Jeff Bannow
13-Nov-2008, 11:02
The 135mm Symmar-S (at least the two that I have) takes 49mm filters up front and so, a 51mm slip on lens cap (as already pointed out). I like to use the Pentax brand snap in caps - they do not touch the glass. I can check the size of the rear when I get home tonight but, I think it may be...42mm or so?

The lens I have takes a 49mm filter as well, so it sounds like 51mm is right.

BradS
13-Nov-2008, 11:16
It is a fantastic lens BTW. :)
Probably my most used.

Jeff Bannow
13-Nov-2008, 11:20
I hope to shoot with it this weekend.

It came from KEH as bargain - I don't know if this lens has ever even been used. The glass has no marks of any kind. It is in the older copal 0 with the white aperature lever, however the shutter sounds pretty good on all speeds - may be slow on the 500th though.

Michael Jones
13-Nov-2008, 11:31
I have a pristine Symmar-S 135mm MC f5.6 that is missing both the front and rear caps. It looks like, at least on the front element, using a clip-on lens cap might scratch the glass. Does anyone know the slip-on cap sizes needed, and maybe where I could locate them?

Thanks!

How about calling Schneider?

http://www.schneideroptics.com/

They can tell you the exact size and provide the proper cap. I've had great results with their service department, including ordering caps. Good luck.

Mike

Gordon Moat
13-Nov-2008, 13:02
I have the same lens, and the rear cap states 40.5mm in it. Instead of the stock front, I put a 49-52mm step up ring on it, and use a 54mm slip-on cap instead, though I could also now use a 52mm clip-on cap.

This is also my most used lens on 4x5. It sits in the camera folded up, and makes a nice fast set-up with a good overall vantage.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Kevin Klazek
13-Nov-2008, 16:47
My 135 Symmar-S has a 51mm front (SN223/24) and 40.5mm back (SN223/18 slip on Schneider caps. You should be able to order them from B&H.

Kevin