PDA

View Full Version : What is a Fair price for Sinar P 8x10?

Mike Herring
12-Nov-2008, 03:50
Hello,
I am looking for a Sinar P 8x10 view camera in very good to excellent condition. What would be a fair price for one of these behemoths? Are they difficult and/or expensive to repair?
Any person that has one and could provide more information?
How does the build quality compare to the current Arca-Swiss Monolith?
Do any of you folks have one you are going to sell?
I am very afraid of the "Bay" and would prefer to purchase from a fellow LF member.

Many thanks,
Mike

ambroz
12-Nov-2008, 04:39
I have a Sinar f2 4x5'', can be upgraded to 8x10. Send PM if you are interested.

gary mulder
12-Nov-2008, 04:47
It all depends on were you are located.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Nov-2008, 04:58
...and what features/accessories it comes with and condition. Versions with the larger metering back usually sell for more than those with the earlier Norma-size back. Accessories like bag bellows, extra rails, lens shade, viewer, etc. are extras.

A few years ago I got mine via eBay from a busy commercial studio in New York for $850, but this is the low end of the price scale. You're more likely to find one for around $1000-1500 or so. It had the earlier back and needed a couple of levels replaced, but otherwise was in good condition and had recent replacement parts, as well as a custom extra long bellows. In studios like this Sinar reps make housecalls and cameras are serviced regularly. The studio wasn't worried about getting the maximum price from the camera, since it had paid for itself many times over, and they had nice new P2s to replace the two Ps they were selling off.

Mike Herring
12-Nov-2008, 08:00
I am located in Westfield, NJ 07090.
This is about 20 miles form NYC.

It all depends on were you are located.

Frank Petronio
12-Nov-2008, 09:45
The prices vary quite a bit, you pay more for an eBay auction with a reputable seller who has taken the trouble to make a detailed description and photos. I would be cautious about the "firesale" or "I don't know nothing about these" sorts of sales.

The wear points are the geared movements of course. Luckily everything can be replaced and serviced but Sinar parts can be more costly than simply buying a whole camera on eBay and reselling the leftovers.

George Brown (apogeebee) on eBay is a trustworthy seller, he sells at a premium but sometimes you can negotiate a better deal, such as including extra rails, etc. I think a clean 8x10 P is in the $1200 to $1500 range, although if you are patient you can always get lucky and you do see them sell for $8-900 sometimes. Those are often the miscategorized auctions or auctions by the clueless that end at 3am on a Tuesday night instead of mid-evening Sundays (when bidding activity is at its highest.)

The ones with the metering back (MB) are newer and more expensive, but not many use the metering back and it is bulkier. Note that the bellows are not interchangable between the 8x10 MB and older non-MB versions. And the design is over 30 years old so sometimes the bellows can be shot. Camerabellows.uk can make a new bellows for less money than a new Sinar OEM one - and they are as good or better. Save the bellows frames from any bad bellows to use for a replacement bellows.

Have fun. Get the Sinar pan-tilt head to go with it, it mates very well.

Mike Herring
12-Nov-2008, 10:10
Frank,

Thank you for the wealth of information regarding the Sinar P 8x10. I currently have an Arca-swiss 4x5 Monolith. I guess the ideal would be the 8x10 standard for the Arca-Swiss except this would cost me more than an entire used Sinar P 8x10!
I noticed you are selling your Sinar Norma. When did the Sinar P first appear on the market? Any way to determine the age of the camera via serial number or the differences in the back components?
Your website is very cool. I like your portraiture.
Take care ,
Mike

The prices vary quite a bit, you pay more for an eBay auction with a reputable seller who has taken the trouble to make a detailed description and photos. I would be cautious about the "firesale" or "I don't know nothing about these" sorts of sales.

The wear points are the geared movements of course. Luckily everything can be replaced and serviced but Sinar parts can be more costly than simply buying a whole camera on eBay and reselling the leftovers.

George Brown (apogeebee) on eBay is a trustworthy seller, he sells at a premium but sometimes you can negotiate a better deal, such as including extra rails, etc. I think a clean 8x10 P is in the $1200 to $1500 range, although if you are patient you can always get lucky and you do see them sell for $8-900 sometimes. Those are often the miscategorized auctions or auctions by the clueless that end at 3am on a Tuesday night instead of mid-evening Sundays (when bidding activity is at its highest.)

The ones with the metering back (MB) are newer and more expensive, but not many use the metering back and it is bulkier. Note that the bellows are not interchangable between the 8x10 MB and older non-MB versions. And the design is over 30 years old so sometimes the bellows can be shot. Camerabellows.uk can make a new bellows for less money than a new Sinar OEM one - and they are as good or better. Save the bellows frames from any bad bellows to use for a replacement bellows.

Have fun. Get the Sinar pan-tilt head to go with it, it mates very well.

Clive Gray
12-Nov-2008, 14:20
I believe the first P's are from 1970 and ran until 1984 when it was replaced by the still current P2.

While a F2 could in theory be upgraded to a 10X8 P the rail and clamp would be about the only items retained, because the system is modular any camera can become any other and with that in mind when you look for a 10X8 P there are converted ones and ones intended from the start for 10x8 use. The special front standard of a 10X8 P has considerably more movement while the special rear standard is a much heavier duty item.

Frank Petronio
12-Nov-2008, 15:49
Thanks. The Norma is about as "solid" as a P, if not more so, but there are no geared movements at all. I never weighed my but it is less, and a bit more compact. I already sold the Norma and already miss it! But if I were buying again I'd get either the Norma or P -- six and one you know -- the geared movements are pretty nice to have once you decide to deal with the weight and bulk.