PDA

View Full Version : Omega 45C

Santo Roman
10-Nov-2008, 21:31
So I've come down to the conclusion that instead of getting a new camera, I should make use of the camera I have in my living room. I have an Omega View 45C. The one thing is that I don't have a lens and I have been using the 2 lens boards, one as a pinhole and the other has a magnifier home made lens. All of which can be taken apart pretty fast. So the big question is: What type of lens do I need? I'm shooting mostly people and landscapes. I don't want to spend that much since my wife just found out about my new SAGE fly rod. I believe the lens boards are copal 0. Any thoughts?

santo

Brian Stein
10-Nov-2008, 23:53
so you want a decent inexpensive general purpose lens? You dont give much indication whether you're a wide view sort of human or a longer lens type. You have some experience from your pinhole and magnifier and may want to choose based on their focal length.

Without further info, Im assuming you want a relatively "normal" lens. You may want to use some movements so I would avoid one of the "press camera" lenses in 135 or 150mm as they only just cover 4x5. So Im thinking about 150-210mm.

Looking around at whats up for sale here now at minimal $ (no affiliation to anyone) there is an oldie: a rapid rectilinear from the turn of last century for $99, theres a more modern caltar-ii 165mm from the 50s? for $125 and for $250 you could get a 250mm (10") ektar again from the 40-50s. All are capable of taking great pictures, but will have different "looks" and different fields of view.

the board is no biggie: you can alwys make a copal 0 hole bigger to fit a copal 1, or buy or make your own.

HTH

C. D. Keth
11-Nov-2008, 00:15
Understand about the flyrod. Sages are just so lovely, though. My main rod is one made by my grandfather from a sage blank. Absolute pleasure to use.

A plain jane 150mm would suit you well. I had a geronar that was actually quite good. It was a pretty cheap lens that comes with one of the starter 4x5 monorail packages.

Santo Roman
11-Nov-2008, 09:07
so you want a decent inexpensive general purpose lens? You dont give much indication whether you're a wide view sort of human or a longer lens type. You have some experience from your pinhole and magnifier and may want to choose based on their focal length.

Without further info, Im assuming you want a relatively "normal" lens. You may want to use some movements so I would avoid one of the "press camera" lenses in 135 or 150mm as they only just cover 4x5. So Im thinking about 150-210mm.

Looking around at whats up for sale here now at minimal $ (no affiliation to anyone) there is an oldie: a rapid rectilinear from the turn of last century for $99, theres a more modern caltar-ii 165mm from the 50s? for $125 and for $250 you could get a 250mm (10") ektar again from the 40-50s. All are capable of taking great pictures, but will have different "looks" and different fields of view.

the board is no biggie: you can alwys make a copal 0 hole bigger to fit a copal 1, or buy or make your own.

HTH

Brian,

Thanks for the help. I know I left it kinda blank on the info but I wanted a very general use lens. I do a lot of portraits with models, I do the normal water scenes and some other strange crap and knowing that I don't want to but a bunch of different lenses. I'm really trying to keep the wife away from what I'm buying. She's been getting pissed about my camera buys. Thanks again.

santo

Santo Roman
11-Nov-2008, 09:23
Understand about the flyrod. Sages are just so lovely, though. My main rod is one made by my grandfather from a sage blank. Absolute pleasure to use.

A plain jane 150mm would suit you well. I had a geronar that was actually quite good. It was a pretty cheap lens that comes with one of the starter 4x5 monorail packages.

Christopher,

Glad to see I have at least one person other than my fly buddies that can back me up. Thanks for the help. I've already started looking on ebay and a few other places.

santo

C. D. Keth
12-Nov-2008, 01:50
If you want one lens that will fill more purposes, I would get a 210mm. I had a geronar in that length as well and never had any complaints. It will be fine for landscapes and pretty good for portraits, as well. The 150mm would be quite short for portraits.

I certainly understand the allure of flyfishing. I've never been fishing any other way. I've been flycasting for 19 years and tying my own for 15. I'm 23 years old. ;)

Brian Stein
12-Nov-2008, 04:13
I agree: 150 is quite wide for portraits (~40mm is 35mm terms) whereas the 210 (8-81/2') (~55mm in 35 mm terms) does a better job and is quite satisfactory for landscape.

For good prices you will be looking at older lenses. Of the relatively current era schneider symmar or symmar-s (also g-claron but at f9 a little dimmer), rodenstock sironar and sironar-n, the caltar branded versions of these lenses, and the nikon and fuji offerings. I have the fuji 210L: this is single coated so often goes for a very good price. Of older lenses think ilex, ektars, xenars.

Pricewise you can often get something in Ex condition KEH at around the 2-300 mark; for less glitzy or from the bay less.