PDA

View Full Version : Concern about SS 80XL

Cesar Barreto
10-Nov-2008, 07:35
I've been using this lens for almost an year with 4x5' and 6x17cm cameras and I'm almost always happy about the results when I can use it about f22 or even smaller.
But it's amazing how bad it looks wide open and I'd say it's completely useless if one doesn't care about special effects.
Looking for info at Scheneider's site I found some interesting MTF curves (http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/photo/datasheets/super-symmar_xl/super-symmar_xl_45_80_2.pdf), but I'm not sure I can understand what to expect when curves drops to a minimum and rises again when it gets farther to the axis.
Very strange behaviour, I think!

Anyway, I found my lens has a stepping ring behind the front cell and I'm suspicious they tried to fix something and now I don't know if I have a bad sample or otherwise it should be expected this to work so bad when wide open.

Any comments would be rather welcome.

Cesar B.

Bruce Watson
10-Nov-2008, 07:58
I've been using this lens for almost an year with 4x5' and 6x17cm cameras and I'm almost always happy about the results when I can use it about f22 or even smaller. But it's amazing how bad it looks wide open and I'd say it's completely useless if one doesn't care about special effects....I don't know if I have a bad sample...

You have a bad sample. The softness wide open is a fairly well known and documented problem with this lens. Schneider had a program to fix them, and fixed a fair number of them. I have no idea what the status of that program is at this point. If I were you, I'd be contacting my dealer or Schneider to find out what can be done to make the lens right.

A well functioning 80mm SS-XL is just wonderful. Well worth pursuing.

RPNugent
10-Nov-2008, 08:00
read, this thread. the issue of soft focus wide open for the 80xl has been discussed in this and other threads. most focus one stop from open to fix the issue

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17295&page=3&highlight=80XL+focus

Brian Ellis
10-Nov-2008, 10:27
The problem mentioned here supposedly existed only with the first run of the 80mm lens and was fixed by Schneider with later runs. The serial numbers of the first run are known, they might even be on Schneider's web site. If not Schneider could tell you, also Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. Before you do anything else, I'd first make sure that you really do have a first run lens by checking the serial number of your lens to determine whether it really is one of the lenses with that problem as opposed to some other problem. I can't exactly envision what a "stepping ring" behind the front of the lens is or what purpose it's supposed to serve but then I know nothing about making lenses.

Richard Wasserman
10-Nov-2008, 11:57
All I can add is that I use this lens, focus wide open and have very good results. It is a wonderful lens. You have a troubled lens, and hopefully the above advice will help you resolve the problem.

Cesar Barreto
10-Nov-2008, 15:21
Thank you all.
I wrote to Schneider service in USA and despite having bought this lens on 2007, they say I should send the lens to the factory, where it would be fixed under warranty.
Very fast response and I think it shows a very high degree of professionalism.

Tim Povlick
10-Nov-2008, 19:08
Thank you all.
I wrote to Schneider service in USA and despite having bought this lens on 2007, they say I should send the lens to the factory, where it would be fixed under warranty.
Very fast response and I think it shows a very high degree of professionalism.

I assume they told you to fill in the return form from the German site:
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/service/service_e.htm

My understanding is the west coast USA Schneider office can verify the lens as good / bad but can not make repairs. I have a new 210XXL that when I put it on the lensboard I tightened as tight (loose) as from factory new. The performance at edge seemed not so great. I finally figured out the spacer that they use to set the critical distance from front element to back element needed a bit more torque to seat properly. Torque applied, and the way the lens seated it obviously hit the flange properly. A test shot showed lens was sharp out to the corners.

I sent a 110XXL back for lens haze (an ebay lens that the seller should have 'mentioned'.) Luckily Schneider covered it no questions asked. As you are finding they are very professional.

I suggest marking the export papers "Warranty Repair" all over the place on the forms.

Best,

Tim