PDA

View Full Version : 16x20 Paper

shapirophoto
6-Nov-2008, 09:31
I need some 16x20 paper for my final portfolio in school. I had someone recommend Kentmere semi-matte, I know I definitely don't want Glossy. Any ideas? I've been printing with the student staple Illford FB Matte, but... I wanna try something new. Any ideas?

Gem Singer
6-Nov-2008, 10:05
Try Bergger VCCB semi-gloss surface.

It's spendy, but it's a beautiful VC fiber based paper with bright white highlights and deep velvety blacks. Especially, when developed in Ansco 130.

Your instructors will really be impressed with a portfolio printed on that paper.

Kentmere is now owned by Ilford (Harmon). And I believe that the Bergger papers are also made by Harmon. If I had to choose between Ilford and Kentmere papers, I would choose Ilford Multigrade. Try the warmtone version, developed in Ansco 130. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Air dried FB glossy surfaced paper is not as glossy as RC paper.

shapirophoto
6-Nov-2008, 10:24
I'd love to try that paper, but I honestly don't want to use a warmtone paper. How warm is it? I really can't stand when the paper base has warmness in addition to the image (that's why I prefer mixing warm-tone developers). So far as the Ansco goes, I'll look into that.
Thanks a lot

shapirophoto
6-Nov-2008, 10:35
And, how do you guys feel about Amidol?

Gem Singer
6-Nov-2008, 11:23
The Bergger VCCB is classified as a warmtone paper. However, the paper base is a very bright white. It has a rich velvety black, not as warm as the Ilford Multigrade Warmtone paper, which has a cream colored base.

Selenium toning needs to be done carefully with the Bergger paper so as not to tip the tone over to the warm side. Experiment with dilution and time to arrive at the tone you are looking for.

Amidol is a great developer for a pure chloride paper. it is not necessary for the VC papers that are, basically, chlorobromide formulas.

Pat Kearns
6-Nov-2008, 11:51
Kentmere VC fibre base has a semi matte neutral and warm tone available from B&H in a 16x20 10sheet count. The finish is very nice. It is also available from Freestyle in a 10 & 50 sheet count.

PViapiano
6-Nov-2008, 11:51
I concur...Bergger VCCB is a beautiful paper, bright white base...tonal range and color is excellent in Ansco 130, and also dries flatter than most.

I took a scrap piece from earlier this week, partially bleached it back and re-developed in a lith developer...beautiful light salmon-pink tones; very promising for straight lith.

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Nov-2008, 12:02
The Bergger comes in both a neutal tone (VCNB) and a warm tone (VCCM), you might also try the Foma Fomabrom VCFB and the Oriental Seagull VCFB. I don't find the Ilford FB Warmtone overly warm when toned in Selenium 1+10 for about 2 minutes, but toning a warmtone paper can give you a great many different looks. Also, what is warm to one person may not be so warm to another.

Because of the cost of 16X20, I would recommend getting a few 25 sheet packs of several different papers and trying before you invest in the large stuff. Also, as Gem noted, air dried FB papers are not overly glossy. In addition, how, or if, you tone the prints could also change which paper you like.

The problem with going by recommendations is that what I like may not be your taste, so you could be disappointed in the end result. Freestyle has the largest selection of papers that I am aware of and for the cost of one 16X20 / 25 sheet box you could try a few others in 8X10.

Merg Ross
6-Nov-2008, 12:55
All good advice. As noted, there is no advantage to using Amidol with projection papers. Glycin or Phenidone based developers will give beautiful results (in my opinion).

mcfactor
13-Nov-2008, 13:58
ilford gallerie is my favorite paper. it is expensive but well worth the cost. if your not sure buy small packs of 8x10 and do tests before buying 16x20.