PDA

View Full Version : Practical Uses for a 545?

Frank Petronio
4-Nov-2008, 08:06
Now that they are worthless, what would be a good use for them?

Bruce Watson
4-Nov-2008, 08:16
Recycling?

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 08:28
I'm hanging on to mine so I can use it as a conversation starter... "I read on the internet that Polaroid is dead" will be the opening line. Want to chat??

Ash
4-Nov-2008, 08:40
You have children, they have small fingers. They also misbehave occasionally.

I'm sure you can think of something ;)

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 08:52
Brilliant!

Drew Wiley
4-Nov-2008, 10:46
Send them to me. Actually I only need the one I've got - I gutted out the metal rollers
and did some minor modifications to make a Quickload/Readyload holder much more
reliable and durable than the official ones. It also holds the film flatter, although this will probably vary from holder to holder. And by the time I was done, it was almost as light as the plasticky ones. The 545 deserves a second life - don't euthanize it!

Skorzen
4-Nov-2008, 11:08
Send them to me. Actually I only need the one I've got - I gutted out the metal rollers
reliable and durable than the official ones. It also holds the film flatter, although this will probably vary from holder to holder. And by the time I was done, it was almost as light as the plasticky ones. The 545 deserves a second life - don't euthanize it!

Any chance you could supply some more details or photos of the conversion?

Paul Kierstead
4-Nov-2008, 11:09
Wait a bit. Ya never know what will cough up. No, I have no inside information, but cheap labour markets can do interesting things that are otherwise not feasible.

Kirk Keyes
4-Nov-2008, 11:10
Holding open your old double-hung windows when the counterweights have broken off.

shmoo
4-Nov-2008, 11:19

Sounds like you might have a potential business there...hmmmm, I have 2 spares...

Drew Wiley
4-Nov-2008, 11:36
Sorry, I don't have any pics (don't own a digital camera). After being utterly frustrated
with the Quickload and Readyload holders available, especially with the film plane on the insertion end always being inherently off, I examined several 545's I acquired for film flatness - inserted film and held toward a rectangular relfection like a fluorescent fixture to note degree of distortion of image. Tweaked as necessary. The metal rollers
and a big lever were simply removed, but the rubber squeegee-like rollers remain. I remember then plugging a couple of exterior screw holes with black silicone caulk, and inserting a bit of silicone gasket material somewhere as a secondary light baffle. This was left over from an enlarger project. In my shop there are all kinds of specialty products including high-temp silicone sheeting bought from McMaster-Carr. Then I ground down a protruding tab a little to make the unit a bit more compact. The entire
modification took about twenty minutes. This thing has performed flawlessly in many summer moutain trips and seems to hold the film plane quite well, although I typically stop down to f/32 just to be certain. Both the Fuji and Kodak sleeves work perfectly.

venchka
4-Nov-2008, 12:11
In the last week I recall reading on the internet that the Chinese may have purchased the rights/hardware to make Polaroid material. We can only hope that they will offer Type 55 for sale once more. However, the way things usually go, this is another internet myth. Or the Chinese, in some misguided marketing strategy, will only offer 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" 6xx series pack film.

I'm hanging onto my 545 holder for Fuji Quickload duty pending the return of Type 55 P/N material. One of the few items I will gladly purchase from China.

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 14:54
In the last week I recall reading on the internet that the Chinese may have purchased the rights/hardware to make Polaroid material. We can only hope that they will offer Type 55 for sale once more. However, the way things usually go, this is another internet myth.

I doubt it, but I'm too often a "cup half-full" kind of guy. I heard this too, but not often enough or from credible enough sources to even call it an internet myth. I think is was just some hopeful talking going on.

Personally, I miss T-52 way mroe than T-55.

venchka
4-Nov-2008, 14:57
Regardless of the Type each person misses most, lets all put our collective MoJo to work to bring back 4x5 Polaroid positive/negative products!

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 15:17
OK... here's my contribition:

mojo; MoJo; MOJO!

Ash
4-Nov-2008, 15:28
Mo, Joe!

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 15:30
Thank goodness you didn't phrase it, "moe, joe!" :)

Brian Ellis
4-Nov-2008, 19:47
IIRC someone sold a 545i here a couple days ago for $30.

EuGene Smith
5-Nov-2008, 07:11
Drew, I don't know about others, but I would gladly pay $20, maybe more, for some step by step instructions with pix and/or drawings that show your modifications to the 545. Some of us are just slope-headed enough that we can't tie our shoes without pictures and diagrams showing each step in the process. Duh! :o

Jan Pedersen
5-Nov-2008, 07:51
IIRC someone sold a 545i here a couple days ago for $30.
Perhaps the one i bought.
Maybe a little overkill for the box of 55 i have in the fridge but i to live in the hope that there will be a replacement.

As a side question, how is the type 54 in comparison to the 55 (Aside from not having the positive)
Thanks.

BradS
5-Nov-2008, 11:15
We could pile them up in the lounge and see if anybody creates a sculpture or something....