PDA

View Full Version : None Pictorialist uses of LF Photography?

Martin Shakeshaft
4-Nov-2008, 07:42
I am interested in learning about photographers that use Large Format photography, but in a none pictorialist way. Does anyone have any links or references? To start the ball rolling here are two that I like:

Simon Norfolk
http://www.lensculture.com/norfolk.html

Paul Shambroom
http://www.paulshambroomart.com/art/meetings%20revA/index.html

By non pictoralist I mean where the emphasis of the image is not just for purely photographic or scenic qualities.

Cheers

Martin

Bruce Watson
4-Nov-2008, 07:57
I'm confused by your question. Pictorialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictorialist) in photography is generally considered to be the emulation of painting techniques. Soft focus, heavy darkroom manipulation, all that. It was popular in the late 1880 to early 1900s and faded out of popularity after WW-I. This was also about the time of the rise of "modern" silver-gelatin photographic papers. Maybe a coincidence.

So... most modern photography is non-pictorialist.

Toyon
4-Nov-2008, 08:13
Bruce is right, the word pictorialist has a different meaning. You might like Struth, the Bechers and Burtynsky. But there is no substitute to hauling your camera out to places where it doesn't really belong and shooting as if it were your heart's next beat.

Martin Shakeshaft
4-Nov-2008, 08:26
I'm confused by your question. Pictorialism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictorialist) in photography is generally considered to be the emulation of painting techniques. Soft focus, heavy darkroom manipulation, all that. It was popular in the late 1880 to early 1900s and faded out of popularity after WW-I. This was also about the time of the rise of "modern" silver-gelatin photographic papers. Maybe a coincidence.

So... most modern photography is non-pictorialist.

My definition of pictorialism is similar to yours, but I would say that much of the photography on here does emulate traditional art. The main aim of the pictorialists and in the UK the Brotherhood of the Linked Ring was to gain acceptance for photography as a legitimate art form. Many large format photographers are exploring the aesthetic of the medium. Pretty pictures is a too crude a way of saying it, but it does sum up a popular strand of photography. In the UK this is very much the forte of camera clubs.

In the two examples that I gave the photographer has something else to say in addition to the aesthetic. In Simon Norfolks case there is a subtle anti war theme. Paul Shambroom is exploring the issue of 'Power'.

I did included a dictionary definition of pictorial to try to avoid confusion. Sorry.

There is a new breed of documentary photographers who as well as having pictures in newspapers are exhibiting in galleries, Luc Delahaye is an example. For some of these people the need to make big prints that often sell for large amounts of money, means that they are exploring non digital mediums. In addition by, using traditional processes they gain value in the eyes of the 'art market'.

Martin

Ken Lee
4-Nov-2008, 09:39
"My definition of pictorialism is similar to yours, but I would say that much of the photography on here does emulate traditional art."

...Pretty pictures is a too crude a way of saying it

It sounds like you are looking for those who use Large Format, where Beauty is not the only subject, or even the point. Instead, you are looking for those who tell a story, make a statement, or convey an idea.

To some people, Beauty is the final destination. Without it, life isn't worth living, no matter how lofty the ideas.

Mark Sawyer
4-Nov-2008, 09:44
A good place to start might be Frank Gohlke and the photographers involved in the "New Topographics" art movement. Historically, perhaps the FSA (Farm Securities Administration) photographers. Then there's Weegee and Atget and Timothy O'Sullivan...

Tim Hyde
4-Nov-2008, 10:26
Here are 19 well-regarded and still working:

Abelardo Morrell
Stephen Shore
Joel Meyerowitz
Sally Mann
Joel Sternfeld
Alec Soth
Andrew Moore
Greg Crewdson
Michael Eastman
Hiroshi Sugimoto
Robert Polidori
Pieter Hugo
Richard Misrach
Mitch Epstein
Sze Tsung Leong
George Tice
Christian Patterson
Tina Barney
Larry Sultan

So, the answer is lots. With a little effort, the list of working, well-paid LF photographers in "non pictoral" (which obviously means a variety of things) could be doubled.

Paul Kierstead
4-Nov-2008, 11:13
To some people, Beauty is the final destination. Without it, life isn't worth living, no matter how lofty the ideas.

Ah, but beauty does not have be trite, or obvious, or stereotypical. Finding beauty outside of the norms is a true gift.

Clueless Winddancing
4-Nov-2008, 11:19
WOW ! Simon Norfolk's work is the most exciting images I've seen in a very long time. Thanks .
Of course, not only am I provincial but alas -Clueless.

Nathan Potter
4-Nov-2008, 12:29
Tim Hydes' list spans quite a range of image styles but you should find some that fit what you are looking for. The two you cite originally however strike me as more straight documentary with embellishments.

Nate Potter, Washington DC.

John Kasaian
4-Nov-2008, 14:37
In a word: Weegee.

Martin Miller
5-Nov-2008, 09:53
Martin,

Take a look at Chris Jordan's 2003-2005 work (www.chrisjordan.com). Chris used to post quite a lot on this forum before he moved on to a more conceptual bent. Also check out my site.

Monty McCutchen
5-Nov-2008, 10:27
Martin,

Your work is excellent

Monty

Jim Galli
5-Nov-2008, 12:00
View Camera Magazine had a wonderful article about a 4X5 camera that NASA uses on their launches. It is in a protective sealed box and when the event happens, the box opens temporarily, it takes it's one super high quality color picture, and the box closes. Breathtakingly beautiful besides the scientific data it provides, so maybe it is disqualified. Does it have to be ugly to be "Non-Pictorial"? There used to be thousands of uses for large format in scientific endeavor. Kodak may have dis-continued making their glass plates but an order of a certain magnitude could probably get you some if there was a need. Most scientific customers are only interested in a digital result now. I work in photometrics and still have 2 4X5's in the cupboard I would not hesitate to use if the right job came along. HABS / HAER work comes to mind. We just documented a bunch of old buildings out where I work that were important in the cold war, but not important enough to try to save.

Jim Ewins
5-Nov-2008, 22:51
An early pictorialist was William Mortensen who established the Mortensen School of Photography in Laguna Beach, CA in 1932. His work is relatively unknown due in part to his differences with the "purist" approach pushed by Ansel Adams and the Newhalls. Both aesthetics have value but it is said that "beauty" (art) is in the eye of the beholder.

Matt_Bigwood
11-Nov-2008, 09:10
Hi Martin

How about Chris Killip's 'In Flagrante' from the 1980s, and also his 'Pirelli Work' from the 90s when he spent some time in the Pirelli factory in Burton - the book's available on Amazon for around 320 and I'd highly recommend it.

Matt

BennehBoy
11-Nov-2008, 10:44
Mark Power
Simon Roberts
Richard Renaldi

jnantz
11-Nov-2008, 12:01
HABS / HAER work comes to mind.

you can say that again ...
straight documentary photography

bgh
14-Nov-2008, 14:12

My thoughts exactly. Look up Jack Boucher--the long-time photographer at HABS who, if I recall correctly, is just about to or just has retired. Wonderful stuff.

Bruce

Gene McCluney
20-Nov-2008, 11:26

Yep, documentary photography....but that also can be beautiful.