PDA

View Full Version : Case for carrying lenses

Michael Graves
4-Nov-2008, 06:21
Currently, I have about half of them wrapped in lens wraps and the rest in tupperware containers. They all fit into a soft bag about 18" long. It works, but it's inconvenient as all getout. Does anyone know of an attache' case style or something similar to the old Speed Graphic cases that would let me carry them safely...but in such a way that I can see what lens is what when I'm looking for a particular one? Years ago, I saw a case that had a divider going down the middle, along with slats along the right and left edges of the case. Slots were cut into the divider and slats and you could slide the lensboard into the slots and they rode comfortably that way. But I know not whether it was custom made or what manufacturer might have made it. My handyman skills range from laughable to pathetic. So making my own is probably not an option.

Walter Calahan
4-Nov-2008, 06:56
I wrap my lenses and put them in a medium format camera bag with dividers. Now craftsmanship needed.

Keith Pitman
4-Nov-2008, 08:06
What size lens boards?

For smaller 4x5 sized lens boards, fishing reel cases work nicely. The are similar to the former Gnassgear cases.

Eric James
4-Nov-2008, 08:55
A local fly fishing shop carries a line called Fishpond. Fishpond makes reel cases that look a lot like the Gnass lens cases - the materials and workmanship appear to be top notch.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/sweetwater.cfm

jeroldharter
4-Nov-2008, 11:21
The Fishpond cases listed above are nice and reasonably priced. They are good for storing the lenses inside a larger bag. If you want a case just for the lenses, Fishpond makes a small briefcase style bag with partitioned intended for storing ~10 fly reels. Orvis makes a similar case. Cabelas used to have more basic versions that were inexpensive - perhaps I bought the last two at $20 each. You might also check out the multilens cases at Photobackpacker.com.

ASRafferty
4-Nov-2008, 12:04
Michael, Ted reviewed several bags for a VC Mag article about three years ago that you might be able to dig up. He came down firmly on the Orvis reel bag, and now that all his lenses are sold, there are 3-4 empty here, with the arrangeable (thanks to velcro) dividers. He also loved them because they had additional pockets everywhere, on the inside cover, the outside sides, etc. Feel free to write me if that's the way you decide to go.

Eric James
4-Nov-2008, 12:18
...He also loved them because they had additional pockets everywhere, on the inside cover, the outside sides, etc...

The absence of a zippered or Velcro pocket on the Gnass cases is an unfortunate omission. A clean inside pocket for a filter or a outside utility pocket for a cable release would be handy.

Keith Pitman
4-Nov-2008, 12:30
I've found that some of the larger Orvis bags are not so good for lenses. The tops do not cover the divided area tightly, and the lenses can fall out of compartments. Placing a folded dark cloth atop the lenses solves the problem, but I think other cases would work better and more securely.

Songyun
4-Nov-2008, 13:09
A local fly fishing shop carries a line called Fishpond. Fishpond makes reel cases that look a lot like the Gnass lens cases - the materials and workmanship appear to be top notch.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/sweetwater.cfm
My only question is that is the side of the cases as strong as Gnass cases. I had a similar case, but the side is not as strong as Gnass cases.

ASRafferty
4-Nov-2008, 13:22
I've found that some of the larger Orvis bags are not so good for lenses. The tops do not cover the divided area tightly, and the lenses can fall out of compartments.

Hmmm... could be true for other sizes, but don't see how on these -- the dividers are tall enough to make that nearly impossible. Here it is:

http://www.orvis.com/store/altview_mult_nw.aspx?pf_id=96GT&dir_id=11379&group_id=12900&cat_id=12901&subcat_id=12902&seq=1&viewtype=11

Eric James
4-Nov-2008, 13:24
My only question is that is the side of the cases as strong as Gnass cases. I had a similar case, but the side is not as strong as Gnass cases.

My guess would be no, but close. I own three of the Gnass cases and haven't had the need for a Fishpond case - it was just a suggestion in a post-Gnass world.

The Outdoor Research "cells" are certainly inferior to the Gnass cases in terms of side strength and padding - too bad because they are otherwise well-suited and inexpensive.

To complete my subjective comparisons, the Fishpond cases are certainly superior to the OR "cells" in terms of side strength and padding.

Songyun
4-Nov-2008, 13:42
My guess would be no, but close. I own three of the Gnass cases and haven't had the need for a Fishpond case - it was just a suggestion in a post-Gnass world.

The Outdoor Research "cells" are certainly inferior to the Gnass cases in terms of side strength and padding - too bad since they are otherwise well-suited and inexpensive.

To complete my subjective comparisons, the Fishpond cases are certainly superior to the OR "cells" in terms of side strength and padding.
If all 6 sides of the OR cells are molded, then it would be pretty good. Anyway, I have 3 gnass cases too. So I won't try any cases, until I buy new lens.

Keith Pitman
4-Nov-2008, 15:32
Hmmm... could be true for other sizes, but don't see how on these -- the dividers are tall enough to make that nearly impossible. Here it is:

http://www.orvis.com/store/altview_mult_nw.aspx?pf_id=96GT&dir_id=11379&group_id=12900&cat_id=12901&subcat_id=12902&seq=1&viewtype=11

Yep, that's the case. Lenses on the "top row" will fall right out. The top of the case is very flexible, not rigid, and doesn't provide any significant support.

John Bowen
4-Nov-2008, 17:55
Yep, that's the case. Lenses on the "top row" will fall right out. The top of the case is very flexible, not rigid, and doesn't provide any significant support.

Keith,

I have 2 of these cases (based on Ted's recommendation) and have found them very suitable for LF lenses mounted on Zone VI/Wisner 4x4 boards. The largest lens I carry in these bags is a 355 G Claron mounted on a Copal 3. I wouldn't dream of carrying a Symmar 360 in this bag, but it works great for the rest of my lenses including a 450 Nikkor and a 600 Fujinon. I've NEVER had a lens fall out and I've been using these bags for nearly 3 years. YMMV

John

Keith Pitman
4-Nov-2008, 19:58
Keith,

I have 2 of these cases (based on Ted's recommendation) and have found them very suitable for LF lenses mounted on Zone VI/Wisner 4x4 boards. The largest lens I carry in these bags is a 355 G Claron mounted on a Copal 3. I wouldn't dream of carrying a Symmar 360 in this bag, but it works great for the rest of my lenses including a 450 Nikkor and a 600 Fujinon. I've NEVER had a lens fall out and I've been using these bags for nearly 3 years. YMMV

John

Well, dude, I have. I think they are really sloppy for carrying lenses. I wouldn't use one without some other type of support over the lenses--like the darkcloth, as mentioned.

Michael Graves
4-Nov-2008, 20:09
Michael, Ted reviewed several bags for a VC Mag article about three years ago that you might be able to dig up. He came down firmly on the Orvis reel bag, and now that all his lenses are sold, there are 3-4 empty here, with the arrangeable (thanks to velcro) dividers. He also loved them because they had additional pockets everywhere, on the inside cover, the outside sides, etc. Feel free to write me if that's the way you decide to go.

Will they hold 6" lensboards? If so, PM me with a price.

Dan Dozer
4-Nov-2008, 20:40
I got a reel case from Cabela's that was probably much cheaper than Fishpond or Orvis. I believe it cost around $30 or so. It has mulitple dividers and accomomdates lenses mounted on 6 x 6 lensboards.

Dave Jeffery
5-Nov-2008, 04:46
Photobackpacker.com just in case you haven't been to the site, but I would imagine you have have given your participation on this forum.

Up to 7" long cases for 4x4 and 6x6, and dividers are optional. With the Velcro fastening you can easily adjust the amount of lenses you carry and you can Velcro them to various supports, and into various configurations etc. The cases are very light and you can easily add in your own padding. They are not as cheap, but they are well made.
I like the quality so much that I started another thread about possibly having film holders made, which you will most likely notice as well.

The weight of the cases was the deciding factor for me while gearing up to hike through the Grand Canyon last year and I hike up a lot of mountains.

Thanks for all your contributions to this forum!

John Bowen
5-Nov-2008, 04:50
Well, dude, I have. I think they are really sloppy for carrying lenses. I wouldn't use one without some other type of support over the lenses--like the darkcloth, as mentioned.

Gosh DUDE,

I guess I forgot to mention that I always ZIP the bag closed prior to picking it up. :rolleyes:

That ought to keep the lenses in the bag.....perhaps you should try it. Other than an unzipped bag, how else did you manage to have a lens "fall out?"

Best,

dude

Michael Graves
5-Nov-2008, 05:01
Photobackpacker.com just in case you haven't been to the site, but I would imagine you have have given your participation on this forum....

I did check those out, and they look wonderful....except their largest one holds up to 4 lenses and I have 6. I'm trying to avoid having to cart around two cases, but if I have to, I guess I have to. But thank you for the kind words.