PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry dilution

pawl
2-Nov-2008, 01:50
Helllo,

I would like to try the development of 6 120 rolls -ilford hp5- into a Jobo drum with 570ml max capacity.

I thought about rodinal but I do not have it clear enough about the possible dilution.

Someone has ideas, dilution or other developers about?

Thank you,

Clueless Winddancing
2-Nov-2008, 04:45
You MUST understand the relationship between "exhaustion" and high dilutions otherwise you will become "experienced". However, you can "get away with it" by pouring in fresh highly diluted developer (after you've poured out the exhausted developer, of course) during the longer processing time. It gets to be like scating on thin ice though. Are these you mother-in-law's films? Perhaps a search on the "Cons of highly diluted developing in small tanks that hold many rolls" will disabuse yourself of the precariousness of such a path.

pawl
2-Nov-2008, 05:24
Thanks for the answer.

I think my english is too bad but anyway...I will try to formulate differently :

Rodinal brochures said that concentraded product 500ml is enoufh for the developing of 50 films.
Means that 10ml are enough for the development of a film.

My question is :

May I e.g put into a drum 6 120 rolls and 70ml -at least- of concentrates rodinal, the rest, till 570water and expect to have the right result?

There is no question to regenerate till the exhaustion the solution there is that I have so much rolls to process and I try to make it short and efficient.

Regards,

AP

Ron Marshall
2-Nov-2008, 07:21
Thanks for the answer.

I think my english is too bad but anyway...I will try to formulate differently :

Rodinal brochures said that concentraded product 500ml is enoufh for the developing of 50 films.
Means that 10ml are enough for the development of a film.

My question is :

May I e.g put into a drum 6 120 rolls and 70ml -at least- of concentrates rodinal, the rest, till 570water and expect to have the right result?

There is no question to regenerate till the exhaustion the solution there is that I have so much rolls to process and I try to make it short and efficient.

Regards,

AP

For what you are planning another developer would be a better choice, because your dilution will be about 1:7; you may get blown highlights, and definately will not have any compensating effect. Additionally, unless you want large grain, other dev. are better suited to HP5, especially 120 format.

Ralph Barker
2-Nov-2008, 08:12
This is 120 film exposed in a rollfilm back in a 4x5 camera, right? ;)

pawl
2-Nov-2008, 10:12
No this is 120 film used with mf camera.

I just try to find my way how optimise my developing equipment.

I can introduce 6 120 films or 12 4x5 sheets but I have only 570ml capacity for the treatment into the jobo dedicated drums.

I would like to optimise the operations I have not so much time and not dedicated place.
So the best way is mass production.
I don't care if the developer is rodinal or something else, I just try to find a developer with the right dilution which doesn't exceed the 570ml and have enough activity for the whole surface of the films and acceptable time.
Thanks,

Regards,

AP

Ron Marshall
2-Nov-2008, 10:49
Use XTOL, D76 or DDX.

ic-racer
2-Nov-2008, 10:51
Helllo,

I would like to try the development of 6 120 rolls -ilford hp5- into a Jobo drum with 570ml max capacity.

I thought about rodinal but I do not have it clear enough about the possible dilution.

Someone has ideas, dilution or other developers about?

Thank you,

Here is the way I process film with dilute Rodinal in a Jobo: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23322&highlight=rodinal

Ole Tjugen
2-Nov-2008, 10:54
I can't find any JOBO tank that takes 4x5", with a maximum capacity of 570ml - are you sure that's not the minimum?

If you tell us which tank you use, it's a bit easier to answer.

pawl
2-Nov-2008, 13:17
Thanks for the link ic-racer and about the drums first 1520+1530 for the mf capacity is 570ml which the max for cpe-2 machines.

The lf drum is 5-2551, indeed capacity is a bit higher 640ml.

So let's tell 600ml average volume and developer for 6 120 films and 12 4x5 sheets.
that's the question!!!

Regards, and thanks for the answers,

AP

Bjorn Nilsson
2-Nov-2008, 14:01
It is much easier to go the other way around with Rodinal. That is to decide on which dilution you want and continue from there. The normal dilutions are 1:25 and 1:50. If you go for 600ml, it's easier to measure and calculate how much concentrate you need. (12 or 24ml.) Dont worry about the extra 30ml, the CPE2 will not brake because of this extra little"shot" of developer. You can easily find the developing times on e.g. digitaltruth.com.
The difference in between 1:25 and 1:50 is, besides the different times, that the more dilute developer (1:50) is more compensating, so it will be "nicer" to your highlights. But as you are using a Jobo with continuous agitation, the compensating effect is somewhat milder.

//Björn

Ole Tjugen
2-Nov-2008, 15:08
For a 1520+1530 combination, 570ml is the minimum volume required to process 120 film on a rotary processor. With the 15xx series tanks the maximum is not much more since the reels are filled almost to the core.

If you have the wide reels for the 25xx series, they will allow a larger "leeway" in chemistry volumes. Note that 600ml is NOT sufficient for developing 2 120 films loaded on the same wide reel in a 2553 tank - 640ml is the minimum to cover.

Toyon
3-Nov-2008, 09:11
Years ago, Agfa sent me a table of development times at 1:100. I never had a problem with that dilution. In fact I have developed film successfully at 1:200 and even 1:300 for extreme compensatory results. This is with 1100mm of solution. You may want to experiment with 1:100 straight and then semi-stand. This has amazing results although I always lost about 2-3mm of the edge where the negative tended to develop more. Part of the problem stemmed from my earlier use of LFN/Photoflo which over time builds up and effects flow patterns. Now I always use LFN/Photoflo in a separate, dedicated tank. Anyway, it is a great developer that has seemingly endless flexibility. That said, I like XTOL quite a bit and have used it successfully at both 1:1, and 1:3 for economy.