PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for shutter calibration sought

zack kl
31-Oct-2008, 14:18
After some inconsistencies I've realized that my shutters times are off. Does anybody have any recommendations for a repair shop. I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. I checked out "Flutot's" but there is a 5-6 week wait - I'm still new to LF and am into it up to my nose and would rather not put off all my mistakes that long.
Thanks,
Zack

Darren Kruger
31-Oct-2008, 15:24
After some inconsistencies I've realized that my shutters times are off. Does anybody have any recommendations for a repair shop. I'm in the San Francisco Bay area.

ICT Camera (http://www.ictcamera.com/) is in downtown Mountain View and will do CLAs and repairs on large format shutters. Last time I was in there Fred had some used Copal shutter for sale.

-Darren

Dave_B
31-Oct-2008, 18:12
The other approach is to buy a Calumet shutter tester. They come up for sale on ebay occasionally. For the cost of one CLA you can calibrate all your lens shutters and know for sure how precise they are. If the shutters are consistent but off then a calibration table is the way to go. If they are inconsistent, then they do need a CLA.
Dave B.

zack kl
1-Nov-2008, 17:20
Thanks everyone, I'm going to bring them down to ICT next week.

zack kl
6-Nov-2008, 21:59
Just wanted to report back. I drove down to ICT with my misbehaving #0 and #1 copal shutters, in three days I had them back supposedly- and I have no reason to doubt it - better then the original factory specs. Fred is a store house of information and more then open for questions. He showed me the insides of a copal and how it all works and how it compared with a number of other shutter styles. If you are interested he has some great stories including when he worked on a high speed camera, 30,000 frames per second (military), think about it, 30,000 per second - I tried to figure out how one would approach such a problem but tho mechanically mind boggling the key to it working was the kind of thing that put a smile on your face it was so obvious. Anyway thanks to Darren Kruger for the recommendation.

Rico Obusan
7-Nov-2008, 02:41
High-speed cameras: The old rotating prism configuration, was it?

zack kl
7-Nov-2008, 13:27
You got it Rico, I figured it must be spinning (the circumference of the assembly was going close to the speed of sound 750+- mph) but I didn't think of prisms! You win the PRIZE - the satisfying pleasure of Knowledge.

kilimanjaro1996
7-Nov-2008, 15:06
Manfred from ICT is a true asset, and I'm lucky to live nearby. I try to give my business to him as much as possible.