PDA

View Full Version : Attaching filters to an old lens.

Pete_6109
31-Oct-2008, 08:24
I recently purchased a 215mm Ilex-Calumet Series-S Caltar and needed a way to attach filters without taping anything to the lens. I guess I got lucky. I found a slide on 63.5mm series VIII adapter that was just slightly too large. I put some self stick felt inside the rim of the adapter and now it fits perfectly. It also accepts standard 67mm threaded filters and lens covers. Does anyone know if I will get any vignetting from this arrangement?

http://www.ramaglia.com/filter1.jpg
http://www.ramaglia.com/filter2.jpg
http://www.ramaglia.com/filter3.jpg

vinny
31-Oct-2008, 08:44
You could use b+w filters which are nearly half the thickness (the ring) of the tiffen's. I'm guessing you're not using this on 8x10 so you shouldn't get vignetting unless you're using maximum rise/fall type movements. On 4x5 you'd be fine.
Your other option is getting a step up ring that fits loosely on the lens and attaching it with ATG "snot" tape twisted into a "rope" and stuck to the filter threads. Push it on and it'll stay put. It is removable if you decide to later on.

Pete_6109
31-Oct-2008, 08:47
Thanks for the info Vinny. I'm using it on 4x5 and with a 6x9 roll film holder.

venchka
31-Oct-2008, 10:34
I need something like that for my Collinear II No. 4. A slip on adapter with an I.D. of about 52mm-55mm that I could "shim" as needed. A step up ring or 2 to get me to 67mm would be perfect.

Conversely, the lens has threads that seem to be 48mm but my 48mm-49mm step up ring won't quite screw in. The thread pitch may be different.

Any ideas? Offers?

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2008, 11:03
I need something like that for my Collinear II No. 4. A slip on adapter with an I.D. of about 52mm-55mm that I could "shim" as needed. A step up ring or 2 to get me to 67mm would be perfect.

Conversely, the lens has threads that seem to be 48mm but my 48mm-49mm step up ring won't quite screw in. The thread pitch may be different.

Any ideas? Offers?

If it helps, Heliopan makes seven brass slip-on clamping filter adapters to add threads to lenses without them. They come in 70mm slip-on with 72 or 77mm filter threads; 75mm slip-on with 77mm filter threads; 80mm slip-on with 77, 82 or 90mm threads and in 87mm slip-on with 86mm threads.

Don7x17
31-Oct-2008, 11:11
If it helps, Heliopan makes seven brass slip-on clamping filter adapters to add threads to lenses without them. They come in 70mm slip-on with 72 or 77mm filter threads; 75mm slip-on with 77mm filter threads; 80mm slip-on with 77, 82 or 90mm threads and in 87mm slip-on with 86mm threads.

And if one of these doesn't fit your lens, you can contact S K Grimes -- they make adapters of this sort based upon your measurements. They do excellent work.

Ole Tjugen
31-Oct-2008, 11:17
I do it the simple way - with a Lee GelSnap holder. ;)

venchka
31-Oct-2008, 11:51
Thanks everyone. 70mm is too large for the initial adapter. I'm sure the lens is just a bit over 50mm O.D.

In a perfect world, I'll find a shutter for my brass lens. Then I will send lens and shutter to S.K. Grimes for mating. I could get a custom filter step up ring at the same time.

In the meantime, I'll have a look at the Lee GelSnap holder. I may be able to use it on various lenses.

Thanks!

Brian Ellis
31-Oct-2008, 14:14
I just hold 4" x 4" filters up in front of the lens with one hand and trip the shutter with the other. You really don't need to physically attach most filters to a lens and life is much easier when you don't have to deal with different size filters for different lenses or with step up/step down rings, adapters, etc. Your hand will work just fine as long as you get a filter that's big enough so that you can hold it without getting your hand in the picture.

David A. Goldfarb
31-Oct-2008, 15:03
I have the Lee Gel Snap for 4" filters on larger odd-sized lenses and a Voss clip on filter holder with barndoors for 3" filters on smaller odd-sized lenses. For really big lenses, I might tape the filter to the front of the lens, use the Linhof 4" filter holder or the Sinar 4" filter holder, depending on what camera I'm using. The Linnhof and Sinar holders attach to the front standard rather than the lens.

Don7x17
31-Oct-2008, 18:13

Any ideas? Offers?

take a quick look at this (I'm in no way associated with lens.repro)
http://cgi.ebay.com/FILTER-ADAPTER-FOR-DAGORS-ARTARS-OTHER-SMALL-LENSES_W0QQitemZ270164549130QQihZ017QQcategoryZ30059QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126

looks like it exactly fits the bill - made by tiffen for 45-55.5 od lenses and steps up to a series 8 (which is 67mm filter)......

price is cheap compared to what you'll pay for custom work...

C. D. Keth
31-Oct-2008, 18:25
I just hold 4" x 4" filters up in front of the lens with one hand and trip the shutter with the other. You really don't need to physically attach most filters to a lens and life is much easier when you don't have to deal with different size filters for different lenses or with step up/step down rings, adapters, etc. Your hand will work just fine as long as you get a filter that's big enough so that you can hold it without getting your hand in the picture.

Be careful that you don't get weird reflections coming off of the back of the filter doing that.

Jeff Bannow
1-Nov-2008, 09:23
I have the Lee Gel Snap for 4" filters on larger odd-sized lenses and a Voss clip on filter holder with barndoors for 3" filters on smaller odd-sized lenses. For really big lenses, I might tape the filter to the front of the lens, use the Linhof 4" filter holder or the Sinar 4" filter holder, depending on what camera I'm using. The Linnhof and Sinar holders attach to the front standard rather than the lens.

David,

I am curious about the linhof filter holder. Any chance this would fit a Chamonix 4x5? I couldn't find any info on this after a quick google search.

- Jeff

Pete_6109
1-Nov-2008, 09:44
David,

I am curious about the linhof filter holder. Any chance this would fit a Chamonix 4x5? I couldn't find any info on this after a quick google search.

- Jeff

Jeff, I found this info on B&H's website. It looks like it has rubber bands that hold the filter holder to the lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186726-REG/LEE_Filters_Gel_Snap_3x3_4x4_Filter.html

Bob Salomon
1-Nov-2008, 14:00
David,

- Jeff

Not without a lot of work, and it is quite expensive. It is an accessory for the Linhof compendiums. The Linhof compendiums (current version this holder won't fit the older versions) mount to the camera via a rod or set of rods (depending on the camera. The rods fit either an accessory shoe mount (Kardan, TK, M679) or with a plug-in mount to holes on the front standard (Technika).

The filter holder slips onto the rod between the compendium and the lens and accepts 4x4" gels in Linhof Folding Filter Holders or screw-in 95mm filters or both.

Catalog # is 001941. List price is over $800.00.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Nov-2008, 19:32
David,

- Jeff

If you could find an older one, like mine which has the filter holder on the rear standard of the compendium, it attaches via a rod, which is held in place in a hole in the mount by a simple thumbscrew, that attaches, as Bob Salomon describes, with two pins to the top of the Technika front lensboard mount. It would be difficult to make the sockets for this mount on another camera, without, say, cannibalizing a defunct Technika and adapting the front lensboard mount to your camera, but it would not be so difficult to make something else using the thumbscrew and avoiding the mount with the two pins altogether.

If you solved the problem of attaching it, though, I'm not sure the Chamonix front standard would support it. I've seen the camera, and it's quite rigid for its intended use, but I don't know that it could handle the Linhof compendium cantilevered out in front of the lens without sagging.

Michael Graves
2-Nov-2008, 06:31
I'm like Brian. For my Artars and an old Paragon, I bought the 4" Lee Black and White kit with the rubber band thingy. (Thingy is a technical term for the fribbersnapper that holds the filter.) But 99.9999999% of the time, I just hold the filter in front of the lens. IE: I used the thingy once and it was such a PIA that it now stays in the case. But the filters are very handy.

Bob Salomon
2-Nov-2008, 07:19
If you could find an older one, like mine which has the filter holder on the rear standard of the compendium, it attaches via a rod, which is held in place in a hole in the mount by a simple thumbscrew, that attaches, as Bob Salomon describes, with two pins to the top of the Technika front lensboard mount. It would be difficult to make the sockets for this mount on another camera, without, say, cannibalizing a defunct Technika and adapting the front lensboard mount to your camera, but it would not be so difficult to make something else using the thumbscrew and avoiding the mount with the two pins altogether.

If you solved the problem of attaching it, though, I'm not sure the Chamonix front standard would support it. I've seen the camera, and it's quite rigid for its intended use, but I don't know that it could handle the Linhof compendium cantilevered out in front of the lens without sagging.

You could just call marflex and buy the TK or the Kardan shoe mount. All of the Linhof compendiums mount with rods. By changing rod sets you get either the shoe or the Technika plug mount. Depending on the adapter set the rods are configuring differently to compensate in the difference in the position of the attachment point on the various model Linhofs.

So it is very easy to get a current version Technika compendium and convert it to a shoe mount system.

Joseph O'Neil
2-Nov-2008, 09:46
I keep a roll of black electrical tape in my backpack for this exact reason. Works great. Just find a filter the same physical size as your non-threaded lens, wrap a piece of tape around the outside of both while holding the lens in place.

Primitive, ugly, but hey, you can always find a roll of this tape at just about any dollar store. :)

Don7x17
2-Nov-2008, 23:25
The blue masking tape from 3M has great tack and comes off without residue.
Downside is that it costs a bit more than electrical tape(which leaves sticky residue)

venchka
3-Nov-2008, 08:08
Don 7x17,

Thanks! That is helpful and way above and beyond the call of duty.