PDA

View Full Version : Ebony Handheld Loupe

Michael Alpert
30-Oct-2008, 09:24
I don't think I have ever started a thread before where I have recommended a product. Recently, I purchased a second-hand Ebony handheld loupe, thinking that I should give it a try. From Ebony's website (which pictures the loupe without any detailed written description), I thought it was a somewhat expensive magnifying glass; so I always dismissed it. The loupe is actually a very solidly made two-element lens that is far brighter and simpler to use than any other loupe that I have used before. The outer edge of the loupe is textured and rubberized to make it more graspable, and it comes with a little case and neck strap that are also well-made and practical. If you are looking for a way to make life under your darkcloth easier, this is it.

darr
30-Oct-2008, 09:51
I have had one for about three years and love it as well!

Don Hutton
30-Oct-2008, 11:06
It is a cool product - the ability to look through the corners at an angle towards the aperture is very handy - normal GG loupes in solid tubes negate this. I use one together with a Silvestri 6x tilting loupe. The Silvestri's higher magnification is very handy for final checking.

Stephen Willard
30-Oct-2008, 21:30
I have recently purchased the ebony AW cover and the clip that mounts to the front standard. I bought three hots shoots from ebony to mount on my three cameras which are not ebony. It is the first rain cover that I have tried that really works. The workmanship of the cover and clip is amazing. I also just saw and held an ebony 4x5 and was blown away at the workmanship of the camera. My hope is to purchase an ebony 8x10 in a few years. I do not think I will be disappointed.

Michael, can you use the loupe with reading glasses?

Rakesh Malik
31-Oct-2008, 08:33
I've been using one of the Ebony loupes as well, and I'm very happy with it. It's very sharp, and very easy to use.

I don't use reading glasses, but I think it ought to work fine... if you can use a magnifying glass, you can use this loupe.