PDA

View Full Version : 3 Pinkham Smith Series lenses compared

Jim Galli
28-Oct-2008, 20:29
There has been much talk about comparing these lenses. The first problem is getting 3 of the rarest lenses on earth together in one place! What can I say, I'm blessed. So without further ado.....

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Pinkham-Smith/15SAseriesII/3PScompared.jpg

It is an imperfect test perhaps but as close as you're going to get anytime soon. Same general subject, same lighting conditions, same film and developer etc. Hope you have some fun shopping :cool:

Daniel_Buck
28-Oct-2008, 20:51
just from these images, I'm gonna say that I think I prefer the 14"

Brian Bullen
28-Oct-2008, 20:52
I think the Series II really takes the cake, but then again I can't find any faults with the other two.:) Thanks for the comparison Jim.

Pat Kearns
28-Oct-2008, 21:21
The 15" has a beautiful glow with the high values of the pot. The 9" looks to be the sharpest of the three. The 14" seems to be my favorite of the three. I'm intriqued with the "happy shopping" comment. Something stirring in the wind with any of these?

Allen in Montreal
28-Oct-2008, 21:40
Based on those images, the 15 inch!
You are very lucky man sir!

Tri Tran
28-Oct-2008, 22:05
Hi Jim,
The 14 inches still my favorite. I'm sure you had a lot of fun lately. Thanks for posting this.

Hi Allen,
Your Gazette article remind me me so much of my hood ( used to be) . My favorite season of the year. Canal Lachine looks beautiful. I missed park Lafontaine, Mont Royal by the lake Castor. Cheers.

Marko
28-Oct-2008, 22:18
I can't decide between the 9" and the 14"... I'd want them both if only I could. :)

ljsegil
29-Oct-2008, 03:56
I think I like the overall look of the Series IV, it has a little more contrast to bring out the subject, but still the gentle transition to the OOF areas. To my eye (such an eye, if only they made glasses that would make one or both of them really see) it provides the most pleasing combination of enough detail to allow the area of most interest (to the photographer, I guess) to be clearly resolved while retaining the aesthetic of the softening effect of the lens. But I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed!

You're not really thinking of doing it, actually setting free any of your captives, are you? The LF community would canonize you, while perhaps tearing apart the fastest PM'er. A collection like this (and the rest of yours) is a treasure, and you share it so generously with your postings. Much appreciated here, and I'm sure by all.

LJS

Jiri Vasina
29-Oct-2008, 05:22
Well, any one of them would be wonderful, if it happened to be in my hands :)

All of them have a certain character, each is slightly different. I would not say better or worse, just different. Lucky you...

Jim Galli
29-Oct-2008, 06:11
Thanks all. No, none of them will be owned by anyone else in my lifetime :D:D This is interesting. I wish we had numbers of production. The Series IV is seen for sale the most often so I'm guessing the folks who bought them originally may have liked it best also. Me, I love them all, but for now I'm running very partial to the Series II.

A great quote in a private e-mail from Jonathan Brewer (http://wideopen1.squarespace.com/)....."These lenses are really something, you can't really say any redition of your comparison is bad, might as well be selecting three beautiful women..........."

tom thomas
11-Nov-2008, 16:55
Jim,

Wow, now I see what these lenses can do. I also prefer the 14". I wish you had cranked the aperature down in another shot to show how sharp the lens can be too as I'd thought the Bi-Quality meant just that, soft or sharp.

Am I right that the Pinkham Bi-Quality 14" lens was the later commorative model, versus a Pinkham and Smith? If so, It's the lens I have sitting on my shelf right now gathering dust. Mine is S/N 114. Actually I have is protected behind glass doors but still unused. I did make a post earlier offering to sell it in this forum.

Tom Thomas

Jim Galli
11-Nov-2008, 17:01
Jim,

Wow, now I see what these lenses can do. I also prefer the 14". I wish you had cranked the aperature down in another shot to show how sharp the lens can be too as I'd thought the Bi-Quality meant just that, soft or sharp.

Am I right that the Pinkham Bi-Quality 14" lens was the later commorative model, versus a Pinkham and Smith? If so, It's the lens I have sitting on my shelf right now gathering dust. Mine is S/N 114. Actually I have is protected behind glass doors but still unused. I did make a post earlier offering to sell it in this forum.

Tom Thomas

Check your PM's Tom. Yes, the Bi-Quality is the identical lens to the earlier Series IV Visual Quality. I don't know the whole story but I think I read that Smith's son did this final run in the late 1940's? and for some reason had lost the rights to the name Visual Quality. Yes, it can be very sharp and contrasty stopped down.