PDA

View Full Version : Getting an handle on my Crown Graphic

Paul Kierstead
27-Oct-2008, 11:45
I have been thoroughly enjoying wandering about shooting my new used Graphic. It is fun, and I like the results. However, it would be really nice to have a good grip with the right hand. Short of purchasing a flash (kinda ugly headless among other things), has anyone one bought/made clever solutions?

Frank Petronio
27-Oct-2008, 13:34
I did the Linhof Grip on mine, it's bulky and some people hate them, but I think they are awesome. But they cost as much as the camera... Take the bellows off before you drill the holes ;-)

PS that is a 135 Xenotar and yes, it will fold inside. Now why did I sell that camera again!? Hmmm...

Ash
27-Oct-2008, 14:25
Frank, that makes me want a Graphic again!

Glenn Thoreson
27-Oct-2008, 14:35
The standard strap will fit on your Graphic flash bracket, though you would find it awfully short and hard to fit your hand through. You would have to punch some holes to shorten it up, too. You could get a pair of strap brackets and a strap for the right side. You could get an extra pair of flash clamps and put them on a dowel or piece of plastic pipe or something of the right diameter. There is a Linhof right hand grip but they're less common than the left grip and expensive. Linhof grips take some getting used to. The least expensive and easiest to do, I think, would be the Graflite brackets and a dowel. If you have a Graflite flash, you have the brackets. It only takes a minute to remove/replace them. I find having the flash on the camera provides a nice natural feeling grip. With the dowel arrangement you get that nice grip and you can mount a modern shoe on top, to boot. You can drill it for a cable release, too. :D

Frank Petronio
27-Oct-2008, 14:41
The left hand grip makes it easier to insert holders like WeeGee, rapid fire!

Jan Nieuwenhuysen
28-Oct-2008, 01:59
I have a left hand Linhof grip on my speed; love it!

Glenn Thoreson
28-Oct-2008, 11:47
I have a Linhof left hand grip on one of my 2X3 Speeds. The forward/ backward rotational angles don't quite agree with my beat up old wrists, but I do like it.

Paul Kierstead
28-Oct-2008, 13:51
I hadn't considered the interference on the right side from a handle. Once of the things I am liking on the graphmatic's is shooting with the slide in, which helps.

I think I shall have to experiment a bit. I'll scrounge the forums and the bay from some flash mounting hardware...

Pete_6109
29-Oct-2008, 13:07
I took the original hand strap off my Speed Graphic because it was falling apart. I replaced it with a black leather dog collar. Very cheap , but sturdy as heck. Although I never shoot hand holding this camera, the dog collar sure makes it feel secure when carrying it around. http://www.ramaglia.com/sg4.jpg

Stephen Willard
29-Oct-2008, 14:03
I took the original hand strap off my Speed Graphic because it was falling apart. I replaced it with a black leather dog collar. Very cheap , but sturdy as heck. Although I never shoot hand holding this camera, the dog collar sure makes it feel secure when carrying it around. http://www.ramaglia.com/sg4.jpg

Pete, your camera is a beauty. She definitely has the right curves. Have you named her yet?

Pete_6109
29-Oct-2008, 16:28
Pete, your camera is a beauty. She definitely has the right curves. Have you named her yet?

lol...
Haven't named her yet, but I get yelled at by my wife when I sleep with it.

Stephen Willard
30-Oct-2008, 07:19
lol...
Haven't named her yet, but I get yelled at by my wife when I sleep with it.

Our cameras can make our wives grow jealous for sure. My Irish wife who sports an Irish temper often ask "why do I not stare at her the same way I stare at my camera".

Pete_6109
30-Oct-2008, 08:47
Our cameras can make our wives grow jealous for sure. My Irish wife who sports an Irish temper often ask "why do I not stare at her the same way I stare at my camera".

Hey Stephen,
My wife is Irish too! When she catches me staring at one of my cameras I just say
"If I didn't have an eye for beauty, how could I justify my being with you?"
lol

al olson
30-Oct-2008, 16:19
Paul,

You might try looking for a Sunpak grip. They attach to the bottom of your camera via the tripod socket. They do not rotate like the Linhof grips, but they have a similar anatomical fit. This is a solid, comfortable handle.

They also have a cable release that is matched so that it fits into the grip leaving the release button at the top to be operated by the thumb. I got mine a number of years ago, but I have recently noted that one of the NY discount photo houses lists the cable release on their web site.

You shouldn't be averse to using a flash tube on the right side. Several years ago I bought a Toyo Super Graphic just like the one I used to own from 58 to 63. I missed the solid feel of carrying the camera by the flash tube. One of the first things I did was to find one that I use sans reflector and batteries. It gives my camera a nice retro look as well.

For a while they were in high demand by folks who used them as Star Wars light sabres. I think that the fad has disappeared and the prices have come down again.

I have never found the flash tube to be any inconvenience when changing film holders. Sometimes when I am out shooting hand-held I will also attach the Sunpak to the left side, which gives me a very solid two-handed grip. I also use the Sunpak on other cameras. You would find the Sunpak to be a good, inexpensive option.