PDA

View Full Version : Film Holders

shapirophoto
27-Oct-2008, 08:18
I'm sure this question has been asked in the past, but I'm curious what everyone else is doing to store their film holders, and how people clean them. I use a tupperware container when I am storing them, and a plastic bag when I am traveling... Any better ideas?

MIke Sherck
27-Oct-2008, 08:48
My film holders are all in pairs in plastic Ziploc bags; 4x5 and 5x7 holders in 1 gallon bags, 8x10 holders in 2 gallon bags. Bagged holders are kept (loaded) in an assortment of insulated cooler bags -- red for 4x5, blue for 8x10 and green for 5x7. They're stored and used in these bags. I've been using them for years and have yet to find anything better or cheaper.

Film holders get vacuumed regularly (prior to loading.) I have a battery-powered car vacuum in the darkroom for clean holders, and just use the house vacuum (has a micro filter on it because of the family's dust allergen issues,) out of the darkroom for new holders, dirty holders, or a couple of times a year just because.

Mike

shapirophoto
27-Oct-2008, 08:49
Awesome, thanks a lot.

gevalia
27-Oct-2008, 09:14
Like Mike i store mine in ziplocks. Get the gallon bags. I put 4 in each. I just got back from the canyons around Escalante Utah and the ziplocks worked perfectly. The sand is so fine that it gets everywhere but the ziplocks did their job.

As for cleaning, a small vaccuum I got for cleaning keyboards works for me. Just don't use compressed air which blows the dust and sand into what you are trying to clean.

Joseph O'Neil
27-Oct-2008, 09:37
Another vote for ziplocks. Not only against dust, but changes in humidity too.

For travelling, I have one of those collapseable soft sided coolers you can buy at Wal-Mart, etc. Look at either camping/beach gear for larger sizes, or lunch bags & containers for the 4x5 size. I still keep my film holders, when loaded, inside zip lock bags inside those coolers until i get where i am travelling to

joe

tgtaylor
27-Oct-2008, 09:54
All my holders are Toyo's. I store them in the black plastic bags that they came wrapped in and keep them in F64 holder cases which zips closed and holds up to 6 holders each. I carefully inspect each holder before loading and brush away any dust visible. So far I have never had dust problems from the holders. Dust on the negative under the enlarger is another matter.

Brian Ellis
27-Oct-2008, 09:57
Fortunately with scanning and Photoshop dust spots aren't the big deal they used to be so I don't worry about them any more. I just take two easy, basic precautions - store them in zip lock bags and give them a quick brushing with an anti-static brush every now and then.

tgtaylor
27-Oct-2008, 10:08
While traveling I too store the holders in their F64 cases in a cooler containing a wide-mouthed nagelene bottle wrapped in a plastic bag and filled with ice and which I replenish at soda fountains along the way as needed while.

shapirophoto
27-Oct-2008, 10:35
Wait, why are we cooling our film holders? Is that necessary?

Peter Spangenberg
27-Oct-2008, 10:52
I use the pink anti static ziplock bags in the 4 mil thickness and they work great. Very durable, and I've had no problems with dust since. Here's a link: http://www.flexpack.com/anti-static-bags.htm#pink. You can get whatever size you need.

vinny
27-Oct-2008, 10:58
if you shoot 4x5, the f64 zippered pouches are really nice for 5-6 holders. I use ziplocks as well.

eli
27-Oct-2008, 11:31
For easy access areas by car, I use a small, handled, snap-top Rubbermaid bucket, kind of rectangular. I can stand up about 16-18 holders in it, with dark-cloth, spare film/boxes and loupe on top. Otherwise it's Ziplocks.

Ziplocks really are great and you can get them in very large 'X' sizes from places like BassPro Shops or online like here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Pack-Heavy-Duty-65645/dp/B0014IIT50/ref=pd_bxgy__img_b

I like these especially because you can keep your changing tent dust free in the larger ones, cameras too.

Cheers

Daniel_Buck
27-Oct-2008, 11:50
if you shoot 4x5, the f64 zippered pouches are really nice for 5-6 holders.

I agree!

tgtaylor
27-Oct-2008, 13:04

I like to load at least the first set of holders at home before departing. Keeping them in the cooler, which is usually in the trunk, keeps the film that's loaded in them at a reasonable temperature.

Roll film I keep in small water-tight Pelican and Outer cases that can hold from 6 or 7 rolls to 20 or more. If I will be backpacking with MF, I take the film with the case which both protects exposed and unexposed film and packs well.

Alan Davenport
27-Oct-2008, 13:32
I have a couple of ammo boxes that formerly held 5.56mm machine gun belts (i.e., NOT 50 cal.) They are tall enough to store 4x5 holders with the long dimension up. Room in the ammo box for about 20 holders or maybe a few more than that.

shmoo
27-Oct-2008, 14:11
http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_sacs/Pack-It-Sac-Medium-40086/
Try these. They're great because they fit about 4 holders, they're easy to get in and out of, plastic lined, and have a hook that conveniently hangs off your tripod. I bought a couple of these from REI Co-op and they work great.

S

Daniel_Buck
27-Oct-2008, 14:12
I have a couple of ammo boxes that formerly held 5.56mm machine gun belts (i.e., NOT 50 cal.) They are tall enough to store 4x5 holders with the long dimension up. Room in the ammo box for about 20 holders or maybe a few more than that.

hm... I've actually got quite a few of these, never made the connection that they would be a perfect size for 4x5 holders! I bet they would work great for storing the holders in a car or on the shelf! Would probably be a pain to carry them around in the field though.

Gene McCluney
27-Oct-2008, 14:24
In regards cleaning film holders. The light trap, which is not visible, that forms the light tight seal when the dark slide is removed is made from a fuzzy cloth, like felt-under spring pressure, and every time you draw the dark-slide any residual dirt on the slide will be swept up onto the light-trap material. The ONLY way to get this dirt out is to use compressed-air and blow thru the light trap-with enough force to penetrate the light-tight seal being put on the "felt" by the spring. You would be amazed at how much dirt and dust comes out when you blow thru the light trap slit. Then, after blowing thru all the light-traps on your holders, you may want to use a vacuum to get up the dust on all the other parts. If you use "used" film holders, which I think almost 100% of us do, at least for part of our inventory, your light traps will be dirty. Every time you push your dark slide in (after loading a holder) some dirt will be dislodged and wind up on the film, unless you make light-trap cleaning a part of your routine.

John Kasaian
27-Oct-2008, 14:29

No, but coolers by themselves (without ice packs) offer a bit of insulation and padding, if that matters. They are also a heck of a lot cheaper than photo-specific products you'll find at high-end shops.

The big Hefty Jumbo two and a half gallon size will easily digest four 8x10 holders or probably probably a couple of 11x14s. ULF holders get dust proof zippered pillow protectors

John Kasaian
27-Oct-2008, 14:32

But where would I keep the 5.56mm belts if I used the ammo boxes
for 4x5??:confused: :D

tgtaylor
28-Oct-2008, 12:25
http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_sacs/Pack-It-Sac-Medium-40086/
Try these. They're great because they fit about 4 holders, they're easy to get in and out of, plastic lined, and have a hook that conveniently hangs off your tripod. I bought a couple of these from REI Co-op and they work great.

S

Good idea Shmoo. ;) I keep my holders in F64 pouches but the Pack-It-Sack looks ideal for packing sheet film in. I've been using the box with a rubber band but the Pack-It's look waterproof and weigh zilch. No sense in packing 20 holders when just 3 or 4 holders and a box of film will work.

more photography
3-Nov-2008, 06:55
What do you guys do with unused film that is already loaded into film holders.

paul08
3-Nov-2008, 08:01
But if you need to remove it, just put it back in a 3-part 4x5 film box (you don't need the inner envelope - just clean all the dust out of the box and then store it in a ziplock). You will run the risk of getting a bit of dust on it though.....

MIke Sherck
3-Nov-2008, 12:30
What do you guys do with unused film that is already loaded into film holders.

Leave it there. My camera stuff sits in the basement, which is cool year around and relatively dry. They're inside Zip Lock bags inside padded cooler bags, so they're just fine in there for months, if need be. Certainly just as well stored as if they were in the film cabinet in my darkroom. If I used much color film I might store them in the freezer in the garage, but I shoot very little color in 4x5 and none in 8x10 (too expensive for my budget.)

Mike