PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating Camera Parts

chris jordan
22-May-2001, 10:31
Hey folks,

While on the topic of Tachihara, I was wondering if anyone had some advice on cl eaning/lubricating the focusing rod/mechanism. I just got back from SW Utah, and I think the camera was exposed to an inordinate amount of dust. I believe this (aside from complicating film-management issues!) has contributed to increased f riction and drag when turning the front focus knob. It used to be so nice and sm ooth. Is this a job for a pro, or is there a good quick fix? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Richard S. Ross
22-May-2001, 13:20
On my Wista DX I use a soft brush (worn tooth brush) to clean sand and dirt out of the teeth on the rack and around the focusing rod. I then rub some candle wax over these and run the focus mechanism until the wax is smoothed out.

Ken Burns
22-May-2001, 18:02
Chris:

You also need to remove any dust that might have collected in the grooves the focusing bed slides along. I just rack the bed all the way out and use a Q-tip to clean out the grooves on both sides.

james norman
23-May-2001, 23:26
i have alwasy used WD40 on a cloth to just wipe things down, and then wipe off any residue with a clean cotton cloth. however, a young lady posted on here a few months back on this same topic, and recommended using a dry silicon lubricant, which is non-oil based, and that seemed like a good idea. i'm just too old and set in my ways to change now :-)

Rich Lingg
24-May-2001, 10:50
I use a silicone lubricant that is designed for bicycles. It's clear and doesn't leave a heavy residue. The only problem is that it's an aerosol, so I spray it in a teacup and then use a dropper to apply it to the rails, gears, etc.

From my experience with WD40, it works well, but tends to turn black after a while.

Pete Gregar
24-May-2001, 12:52
I am not sure if this applies... what would one use to lube film holders?

or is this a difference topic?

Julio Fernandez
24-May-2001, 23:30
Chris: Linhof recommends not using oil but pure vaseline.

John Lehman
28-May-2001, 06:23
And to prove that it is not critical, Andreas Feiniger in one of his books reported that he lubicated the tracks on his Deardorf with his wife's lipstick on an assignment in the Southwest :-)

Doug Paramore
29-May-2001, 19:05
Way back when we ol' fools used Speed Graphics for everything, every photographer I knew kept a tube of Chapstick in his camera case. It works good as a lubricant for rails. Make sure you use a lubricant that won't seep into the wood on the Tachihara. It will darken the wood if oil or grease seeps into it. I would use a wax or wax based product near the wood. I can't comment on how the silicone would affect the wood.

Regards,