PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Provia F 100 Question

Michael Kadillak
21-May-2001, 16:06
I decided to branch out a bit and try some color transparency film in the 8x10. Because I felt that the extra speed would be helpful, I went for a box of the Fu ji Provia F 100. For those of you with experience with this film, will I need an y special filtering to use this film outdoors? What are your opinions of this fi lm in general for outdoor applications?

Thanks in advance

Ron Shaw
21-May-2001, 18:07
I use a lot of Provia, and I like it. It serves 90% of my LF needs. I dont think you will find that it needs anything unusual in the line of filtering. Treat it like your standard reversal film, and it should do fine. I rate it at 100, and get good results. Like most reversal films, it can use a warming filter when used in the shade, and I often use a polarizer with it on landscapes. Other than this, I use no filters.

Pete Caluori
21-May-2001, 18:43
Greetings Mike,

You wont need any sort of filtering when using Provia F outdoors. When compared to Velvia, Provia F is less saturated and slightly warmer. This is a subjective comparison based on identical shots with both films. Personally, I rarely use a polarizer, because it renders the sky too dark on Velvia; Provia F is not quite as bad, but it's still better without.

Regards,

Geoffrey_1456
21-May-2001, 18:45
It's a nice new product. I have replaced Velvia with it. For landscape, I rate it at 80 (depending on your personal metering preference). It gives a bit more blue cast for morning shots, so a light warming filter will take care of it. It also gives a bit more color shift, compared with Velvia, when using graduate ND filters (Lee filters). Not very good for night shots without filters, too much green. It's a good general purpose daylight film.

David L.
21-May-2001, 19:01
Michael, I Have to agree with the previous comments. Provia is the only film I use for my 8 x 10 color field work. Key factors are 1)speed (like Ron, I rate it 100), 2) a subtler, less saturated, and to my way of thinking at least, a more pleasing color palate (vs. Velvia) and 3) an extremely fine grain structure - not too much of an issue with 8 x 10, but still a plus. The only filter I use is a polarizer, and only rarely at that.

Wayne
21-May-2001, 21:32
>>>Not very good for night shots without filters, too much green<<<

You mean like this?

http://www.skypoint.com/members/wsteffen/insomnia.jpg

Geoffrey_1456
21-May-2001, 22:31
Nice pic, Wayne! Next time, try a Fuji RTP II (ISO 64) film and compare. I prefer Fuji RTP II film for night scenes. Cheers,