PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 & 8x10 & brass lenses & shutter accuracy

dede95064
23-Oct-2008, 21:46
hi,

i'm wondering how accurate one can expect a packard shutter to be on an 8x10 camera vs a sinar shutter on a 4x5 camera when using big brass shutterless lenses. i have experience with the sinar 4x5 setup but i am a little hesitant to moving on up to large packard shutters (over 3.5 in diameter) and the degree to which i will be able to accurately use the speeds such as 1/8 sec and 1/25 sec.

do most of you who use packard shutters under/over expose regularly? is it that bad?

am i better off with using the more reliable sinar shutter and 4x5 format for portraits (my main purpose) than an 8x10 camera with packard shutter inconsistencies? i realize there are 8x10 portrait lenses with shutters but i am only referring to those that are too big to fit in regular shutters and thus need packard shutters.

thanks for your great knowledge and insight!! :)

Jim Galli
23-Oct-2008, 22:46
Take a look at my web pages. Much of the later work done just that way. They also lend themselves to a sync connection for studio lights which can be used instead of time. No, they aren't as accurate but in instant mode once the time is a known, it's very consistent. Usually around 1/20th to 1/30th. In bulb you actually have more control than you would think. In bulb as fast as you can get it to open and close is usually a consistent 1/8th sec. Then you can listen to a Nikon FM several times at 1/4 and get a very close 1/4 with practice on the Packard. Same with 1/2. I've got a worthless old FE-2 that I use for my ear. Click chunk, Click chunk, then do the same with the packard. 1 sec and beyond is easy. So you may not have as many choices as with a Sinar Copal, but you can make the work fit in what you have. I supplement the above with PyroCatHD which is very forgiving on the times I have to overexpose for out of door shots.

dede95064
24-Oct-2008, 19:43
ah i see. thanks jim! much appreciated!