PDA

View Full Version : Live Search CashBack -- No eBay Msg?

Frank Petronio
22-Oct-2008, 05:49
So I read up on the Livesearch cashback program, searched and bought an item with a 30% discount shown at the top of the page... and nothing.... It's been about 36 hours and I haven't recv'd a message in my eBay messages with the link to claim the reward.

How's it been working for everyone else?

If I don't get "the message" what do you suggest I do?

Thanks

BarryS
22-Oct-2008, 06:11
Have you checked your cashback account? I don't think you need to click on the message link to claim the cashback--at least I haven't had to do it. The ebay messages are slow to appear, but the system seems to be working when I check my account. You registered before you made the ebay purchase--right? Did you have the little cashback icon present throughout the entire transaction (including paypal)? It does take a few days for purchases to show up, so I'd wait another day or two before contacting Livesearch help.

Skorzen
22-Oct-2008, 08:26
I believe I had seen something on the ebay page telling you to contact customer support if you did not get a message. I don't believe it is necessary to register with live.com before making the purchase (I don't think I did).

Juergen Sattler
22-Oct-2008, 08:55
It is not necessary to regsiter with live search before you make a purchase, BUT you should have gotten a message from eBay acknowleding that you did get the discount - you should contact them. I just did my first cash-back transaction a week ago and so far, everything seems to be working as it should.

Frank Petronio
22-Oct-2008, 17:32
Purchased Item # ############ with Microsoft Livesearch
Cashback logo present throughout the transaction, with a ##% discount.
Did this within ## minutes of initial search,paid immediately using
PayPal, the Cashback banner was present throughout transaction. After ##
hours have not recv'd the eBay message with the link to claim Cashback
from my Livesearch account.

Here is the eBay reply:

Hello Frank,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to not receiving your ebay message
after 48 hours for item 110298112544.

Frank I do understand your concern in this matter.

Your redemption email containing a link to the Redemption Center will be
sent to you once you pay for an eligible eBay item. If you didn't
receive your redemption email, check your Messages on My eBay.

If you don't see the email, you may not be eligible.

Ok, it looks like the item is more than $200. Items that exceed a cash
back limit of $200 aren't eligible.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this
email and let us know.

Boy they make this a PITA

Daniel_Buck
22-Oct-2008, 18:10
Boy they make this a PITA

you betcha they do :D

Juergen Sattler
22-Oct-2008, 18:16
Something is wrong here, Frank. The item you bought was $219 - you would obviously not be over the $200 cash-back limit. I assume you paid for the item - if not, therein lies your problem. Unless the item is paid for, your do not qualify for the cash-back and eBay won't send you the message. But I'm sure that's not the issue here.

Frank Petronio
22-Oct-2008, 19:15
Thanks -- yes I paid for it immediately, it's mentioned in the message to eBay each time.

Really Big Cameras
23-Oct-2008, 08:30
Here is the eBay reply:

Ok, it looks like the item is more than $200. Items that exceed a cash
back limit of $200 aren't eligible.

Frank,

I don't know the source of your problem, but this last statement from the eBay rep is absolutely 100% incorrect.

There is a limit on the cashback of $200 per online session, but (other than a few very specific restrictions) there is no limit on the price of the item. So, you can buy a $15,000 digicam, but your rebate will be only $200, not 25% of $15,000. Did you buy any other items during your online session that would have pushed you over the $200 per session limit?

Almost everything I sell on eBay costs more than $200 and all my buyers are qualifying for the cashback rebate.

You can read the complete terms of the offer here:

http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html?_trksid=m38

Since you obviously didn't buy an automobile or real estate, the only exclusion that may apply would be:

d. purchases that are completed using a third party checkout system

Did the seller use some 3rd party checkout system (auctiva, or similar)?

Finally, was this a fixed price, "Buy It Now" purchase? Actual auctions aren't eligible for this program, only fixed price purchases.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras (http://reallybigcameras.com)

Frank Petronio
23-Oct-2008, 09:45
Nope to all Kerry, I'm awaiting a response from eBay and Microsoft. I'm wondering if it might be a Mac/Safari issue or something?

Frank Petronio
27-Oct-2008, 10:27
@#@$$*#&

Both eBay and MS wrote that they were, "looking into it" and MS was, "talking to their engineers..."

That was the 24th. Last I heard from them. I give up.

You know which search engine I'll be using!

Michael Jones
27-Oct-2008, 11:48
Kerry is right on with his post about the “rules” and it mirrors my experience. I know this may seem silly, but have you tried buying anything else through Live Search? Since Kerry posted about it a few weeks ago, I have done all my Christmas shopping and bagged between 20-30% in rebates (assuming Microsoft does not join the "belly-up club"). I even bought things for other people on my list...

I did notice there was an order I needed to follow to get the little red flag on the eBay page. I log into Live Search, do a web search for something and then click on the eBay link. That takes me to eBay and then I log into eBay and double check to see if the red flag of cash back is still at the top of the page. I recall there were a few times I did not see it, so I went logged out and tried again. I also find I get the cash back email from eBay in my eBay message box more reliably than from Microsoft in my email account.

Seriously, if the cash back amount does not show up in your account, the instructions are to email them and you already know how long that takes. Good luck.

Mike

PS: I used both Safari and FireFox for my purchases, not IE.