PDA

View Full Version : Ray McSavaney - Santa Monica, Nov 1 - Dec 27

QT Luong
21-Oct-2008, 11:25
Terra Galleria Artworks (http://www.tgartworks.com/) is honored to present Viewpoint (http://www.tgartworks.com/raymcsavaney/viewpoint), a retrospective of Ray McSavaney (http://www.tgartworks.com/raymcsavaney)'s work.

Ray McSavaney is one of the greatest traditional photographers alive, yet he hasn't had a major exhibit for many years. This is a rare opportunity to see images from several of his projects.

The exhibit will run from November 1st through December 27th, 2008.

Artist reception:

Date: Saturday, November 1st, 2008
Time: 6 to 9 PM.
BERGAMOT STATION.
2525 Michigan Avenue, T-1B. Santa Monica, CA 90404
(310)-453-5104 www.TGartworks.com
Gallery Hours: Tues to Sat, 11AM to 6PM & by appointment

Daniel Grenier
21-Oct-2008, 11:53
...Ray McSavaney is one of the greatest traditional photographers alive, yet he hasn't had a major exhibit for many years...

Indeed. Ray is grossly underated and it is a crying shame.

Eric Biggerstaff
21-Oct-2008, 11:59
This is great QT!

I have been looking at the work up on your gallery site for a while, I only wish I could be there for the opening.

Deane Johnson
21-Oct-2008, 15:49
I was in Yosemite in 1975 when Ray showed Ansel Adams this photograph he had completed, along with others that same day. Ansel was knocked out by it and couldn't say enough about Ray's outstanding work. It's only gotten better.

http://www.tgartworks.com/raymcsavaney/viewpoint/image.mcsa90213.html

Kirk Gittings
21-Oct-2008, 20:04
I was in Yosemite in 1975 when Ray showed Ansel Adams this photograph he had completed, along with others that same day. Ansel was knocked out by it and couldn't say enough about Ray's outstanding work. It's only gotten better.

http://www.tgartworks.com/raymcsavaney/viewpoint/image.mcsa90213.html

Superb.

Merg Ross
21-Oct-2008, 20:35
Congratulations to Ray from an admirer of many years! This work is among the finest traditional work being produced today.

Thank you QT for making it available to the viewing public.

David Karp
21-Oct-2008, 21:08
This is great. I cannot wait to go. I love his work. Every piece I have seen has been better than the next. His prints are just beautiful in person. I really believe his work stands right up against the best.

QT, will you be at the opening?

PViapiano
21-Oct-2008, 23:40
I have his book, Explorations...probably my favorite in the collection. Also, have seen a few of his prints at Freestyle...simply amazing!

QT Luong
28-Oct-2008, 12:16
Yes, in general I come to all Terra Galleria Artworks openings.

David Karp
1-Nov-2008, 22:15
My wife and I just got home from the McSavaney show at Tuan's gallery. We had a wonderful time. It was great to meet Tuan and his wife. Apparently, We missed Vinny by one hour. Next time!

Ray McSavaney is a very nice guy. Very approachable and easy to talk to. And just a fantastic photographer and printer. Seeing his work is a reminder of how good black and white photography can be. Subjects from landscapes to architecture to portraiture to still lifes, all executed with a wonderful eye and the most exquisite skill in the darkroom.

I have seen his work side by side with that from other outstanding photographers. In my opinion, McSavaney's work is as good as any I have seen. By the time we arrived, he had already sold three prints!

The Terra Galleria gallery is a very nice space.

Good luck to you QT, and thanks for the wonderful visit.

If you are in the L.A. area and can get to Santa Monica to see the show, I highly recommend it.

vinny
1-Nov-2008, 22:21
Dave, sorry I missed you. Ray's work was quite nice and I enjoyed the variety of subject matter. Matt Blais and I had come over from the artwalk at the Brewery. We heard about Rays' show at Qt's opening last month. If you get over that way stop by 33-E and W-7. Large format work from some friends of mine.

David Karp
2-Nov-2008, 11:17
It would be nice to check out the exhibit at the Brewery. It is too bad we missed you and Matthew.

By the way, it was great to get the chance to thank QT in person for creating this forum and the static site. Can you imagine if this site was not available? Most of us would think we were the only one left doing this stuff!

Capocheny
2-Nov-2008, 12:10
By the way, it was great to get the chance to thank QT in person for creating this forum and the static site. Can you imagine if this site was not available? Most of us would think we were the only one left doing this stuff!

Hi Dave,

I couldn't agree with you more on your comment... :)

Ray,

Looks to be some great images in the show... sadly, we're not down in your neck of the woods at this point in time to see your show in person.

Congratulations and the best of luck going forward!

Cheers

Rick Russell
2-Nov-2008, 12:21
Great show! My wife and I truly appreciated the exhibit last night. I took the opportunity to introduce myself to QT and thank him not only for this wonderful forum, but also to let him know that I looked forward to purchasing his National Parks book.

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Eric Brody
2-Nov-2008, 13:22
I have had the pleasure of doing several workshops with Ray, most recently this past May. Ray is a gem. He is a superb photographer, an excellent darkroom printer, and one of the best teachers I have known. He speaks carefully but what he says is always worth hearing. I would love to be able to see this show but am too far away. I have seen many of Ray's images at workshops and happily own his book but to see this exhibit would be a real treat.

Eric

David Karp
2-Nov-2008, 14:27
I keep thinking of things worth noting.

On the technical end, Mr. McSavaney showed photos using both warm and cold tone papers. The prints were both old and recent vintage. He mentioned that the newest prints are on Foma paper, both warm and cold tone. Although it helps to have a wonderful photo on the paper, I think that those of us looking for a warm, but not overly warm toned paper would do well to give the Foma a try. The cold tone was equally nice.

matthew blais
2-Nov-2008, 14:45
A worthwhile trip for me... His prints display a wonderful tonality and variety of imagery.

David Karp
2-Nov-2008, 15:31
Matthew,

We had a similar day, driving wise.

We drove from LA to Rancho Cucamonga to take the kids to the Chaffey College / Riverside Community College football game, drove back home to LA, drove over the hill to Santa Monica, and drove back home. I purposely avoided looking at the odometer at the end of the day!

Sorry we missed you.