PDA

View Full Version : Another Steinheil lens

seanwang
21-Oct-2008, 00:22
:) Today I received one Steinheil lens, marked "Steinheil in Munchen", no other words, just like this one(following). Focus length is 360mm and the hole is 36mm in estimate, so the max aperture is F10.

I search on the google but cannot find out detail about this lens, I guess the lens has 6 elements in 2 group and made in 1880s . Does anyone know that lens?coverage? Elements?

Ole Tjugen
21-Oct-2008, 04:01
Looks like it might be one of the Antiplanet/Antiplanat group of lenses. The stop slot looks to be off-center, which is typical for these highly asymmetric lenses.

If so it should be unusually heavy, say compared to an Aplanat?

seanwang
22-Oct-2008, 20:17
The thickness of each group is 16-18mm, and the weight of whole lens is around 5-600g.
So, it's Antiplanat ?

Ole Tjugen
22-Oct-2008, 22:38
No - that's too light! The Antiplanet feels like a solid chunk of glass, i.e. significantly heavier than anything else. The rear cell is also a lot thicker than the front cell.

There aren't many f:10-ish lenses, all I can find is a Collinear which should be newer than this.

I'm stumped...

Darren Kruger
23-Oct-2008, 00:22
There aren't many f:10-ish lenses, all I can find is a Collinear which should be newer than this.

The lens vade macum lists a Stenheil lens, Series (Type) D, as a Kollinear type. f10, 300-900mm, for process work. It lists it as 6 elements in 2 groups and has ~80 degrees of coverage.

Have you tried to see if it is convertible?

-Darren

Ole Tjugen
23-Oct-2008, 07:55
Hartmut Thiele lists a Landschaftsaplanat Ser. IV f: 10.5-15 in 58 to 600mm focal lengths, introduced in 1867.

And the Orthostigmat Serie D, two different types, 60-900mm f:10 (I) and f:8-10 (II), introduced in 1896. The Orthostigmat is 6 elements in 2 groups. I don't know why I wrote Collinear this morning - I must have turned another leaf...

There's also the 1865 Periskop, but that's 2 in 2. The rest are wide angle lenses, which the one in these pictures is not very likely to be.

seanwang
30-Oct-2008, 01:43
The lens vade macum lists a Stenheil lens, Series (Type) D, as a Kollinear type. f10, 300-900mm, for process work. It lists it as 6 elements in 2 groups and has ~80 degrees of coverage.

Have you tried to see if it is convertible?

-Darren

For each cell , it can take the image and focus lenth more than 500mm.

Hartmut Thiele lists a Landschaftsaplanat Ser. IV f: 10.5-15 in 58 to 600mm focal lengths, introduced in 1867.

And the Orthostigmat Serie D, two different types, 60-900mm f:10 (I) and f:8-10 (II), introduced in 1896. The Orthostigmat is 6 elements in 2 groups. I don't know why I wrote Collinear this morning - I must have turned another leaf...

There's also the 1865 Periskop, but that's 2 in 2. The rest are wide angle lenses, which the one in these pictures is not very likely to be.

Here is a more closer picture... 2+2? OR 3+3?

Ole Tjugen
30-Oct-2008, 02:07
Steinheil had an irritating (now) habit of engraving all the important information on the mounting flange and not the lens itself. Since the mounting flange and the lens have often parted company in the intervening century, we are left with lots of lenses marked only "Steinheil in München".

You will have to look closely at the reflections to see if it's 2+2 or 3+3, I'm afraid. The cells look rather thick, but that is not definitive: Steinheils f:16 wide angle aplanats have very thick cells, the intermediate f:10 "Landschaftsaplanat" has thicker cells than f:8 "Rapid" aplanats.

One of the internal surfaces of the Orthostigmat is very strongly curved and the reflection might be difficult to see as a result - look for a small dim pinpoint. The Landschaftsaplanat has a relatively weak curvature.

From the pictures, my guess is Landschaftsplanat - the barrel looks a little old-ish for an Orthostigmat, but only the reflections can confirm one or the other.