PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Surveyor's Tripod

jmooney
20-Oct-2008, 12:36
Can anyone recommend a make and or model to look at? I need a tripod for my 8X10 and I googled surveyor's tripod and the choices are overwhelming. I'm trying to be frugal but want a good solid platform for my 8X10.

Take care,

Jim

resummerfield
20-Oct-2008, 12:47
I think an all wood model, as opposed to an aluminum one or one made from wood and fiberglass, will dampen the vibrations more. I use a Sokkia brand, but I don't think it any better than other all wood models.

G Benaim
20-Oct-2008, 13:25
I'd go w an old Ries A, much more useful and lighter, use it headless at first and save up for a ries head. That's what I did, works great.

jesskramer
20-Oct-2008, 15:26
Here is one that looks interesting

http://fineartphotosupply.com/fieldtripodspage.htm

R Mann
20-Oct-2008, 18:24
If you are thinking about a wood tripod I would suggest a Ries. You will be getting a refined head design - the leg adjusting/locking on a Ries will be worth the extra money. You will need to adapt a survey tripod head and most survey tripod legs can not be locked at an angel. Also, a Ries will be lighter - the surveyor's tripods I have handled have been heavier.

Andrey Donchev
21-Oct-2008, 02:38
This one (http://www.dutchhill.com/products/p900.html) is actually a camera tripod made by company which main production are surveyor's tripods.

Peter De Smidt
21-Oct-2008, 05:03
Dutch Hill does look to make interesting tripods. They've never responded to any of my inquiries though.

Really Big Cameras
21-Oct-2008, 08:54
Can anyone recommend a make and or model to look at? I need a tripod for my 8X10 and I googled surveyor's tripod and the choices are overwhelming. I'm trying to be frugal but want a good solid platform for my 8X10.

The OP is looking for an inexpensive surveyor's tripod as a way to save money on a tripod capable of supporting an 8x10 camera.

The Fine Art Photo Supply tripod costs $420. I used to have one of those beasts back when Zone VI was selling them (I got mine on sale for $199.00). I bought it to use with an 11x14 Kodak 2D. The good news was rock solid steady. The bad new was it weighed more than the 11x14 camera and folded up about as "small" as a 12-man tent. As a result, it never made it more than 100 feet from the truck - and that's back when I was young and in good shape. With the Microsoft Live search cashback rebate currently running at 30%, the OP could get a carbon fiber tripod that would adequately support his 8x10 camera, weigh less than 5 lbs. and cost nearly $200 less than this behemoth.

While the Dutch Hill is quite a bit lighter, I suspect it's also quite a bit more expensive. I haven't checked the prices in years, but back in the mid-1990s their carbon fiber models started at about $900.

Kerry Thalmann

Bill Kumpf
21-Oct-2008, 09:59
I just picked up a used Aluminum tripod from Stakemill in Largo, FL. It was a CST / Berger for $30. They had more available. (727 538-0886). I have looked at several new units for less than $100. I think most of them would work. Check Craig’s list or the rental places for used tripods. I have not tried the CST yet. I am still working on an adapter for a head.

Good Luck.

resummerfield
21-Oct-2008, 11:04
This one (http://www.dutchhill.com/products/p900.html) is actually a camera tripod made by company which main production are surveyor's tripods.
I've used the Dutch Hill surveyor tripod, and I didn't think it was as stable or solid as the all wood surveyor tripods. My all wood surveyor tripod is the most stable and solid tripod I've every used for 8x10, but, at 15 pounds, it is very heavy and bulky.

I have seen used wooden surveyor tripods on Craig's list for around $50. A local surveyor supply would probably have used wooden tripods for around $100.

Eric Woodbury
21-Oct-2008, 12:33
You might consider a Miller wooden tripod off an auction site. These are cinematic type tripods. They aren't heavy, but do require the addition of a head.

Andrey Donchev
21-Oct-2008, 13:15
I have contacted Dutch Hill for price information regarding their camera tripod. They answered very fast with quote and willingness to send it to Bulgaria. This was two or three years back and I don't remember exactly the number, but it was around $400.

I've used the Dutch Hill surveyor tripod, and I didn't think it was as stable or solid as . . . .

There is no doubt that a tripod which weights 6 pounds is no so stable like the one which weights 15, but is much more portable.

Drew Wiley
21-Oct-2008, 15:15
You can pick up a fairly sturdy wooden survey tripod for $150- $200 new, with the
cost of alteration for camera use probably adding less than ten bucks to the total.
Have done this, and would recommend it to someone on a budget. However, a well
made camera tripod like a Ries will probably give less trouble due to the wood swelling
when wet. I've actually had some wood tripods freeze shut in cold weather, due to
the moisture absorbed in the legs. That's the purpose for fiberglass-cladding on some surveyor tripods. Another difference will be between conventional rust-prone zinc-plated hardware and the vastly superior bronze or stainless steel on the better tripod models. Salt water will readily attack ordinary hardware. Varnishes and oil finishes wear off rather quickly due to the friction between leg elements, so don't count on
them as an option to good design. In other words, if you're out in the elements and can afford it, buy the real deal; it will be worth the extra $300 or so.

jmooney
21-Oct-2008, 16:59
Excellent! Thanks for all the great info guys.

Jim

Gregg Cook
12-Nov-2008, 20:46
I bought a zone Vl off ebay a couple of years ago for 80 bucks, less than a hundred shipped....

FWIW. Great shape.