PDA

View Full Version : Agfa-Ansco Junior View Camera. Know anything about it?

Robert Brummitt
20-Oct-2008, 11:44
Yesterday, I went to an estate sale. Lots of nice photographs going up for sale. Lots of gear as well. There was a really interesting camera, a Agfa-Ansco Universal Junior View camera. It had two backs, a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and a 3 /14 x 4 1/4 plus three film holders. It had a Carl ziese Jena lens. They wanted $500 for the kit. I told the sellers to try E-bay but it was sure a nice mini View camera. Do you think the price too high?
I came out with 4 nice photography books, a film tank and a shutter tester. Books by Rod Dresser, Aperture 80 on Minor White, a essay of photographers on photography and a Wilderness organization of Ansel. I had wanted an original print but the sellers wanted too high a price. I'm hoping the price will drop.
If they have another sale, I'll let everyone know about it.

BarryS
20-Oct-2008, 14:38
The price seems high for a sub 4x5 non-technical view camera. I'm sure it was a cute little camera, but the demand for small sheet film cameras is very low. Unless it's mint and unusual, I'd say they'll have a very hard time getting anything near that price.

Brian Ellis
21-Oct-2008, 08:17
I agree with Barry. The camera isn't a very practical user and I doubt that an Agfa Ansco view camera would be a collector's item though I don't really know that market very well.

IanG
22-Oct-2008, 01:15
The Agfa Ansco view cameras are well made and the top models were regarded as the best US made cameras of their type before WWII. They were used by many well known photographers, including Ansel Adams and Brett Weston.

However the Universal Junior View is probably the least desirable now, taking 3¼"x4¼" film. In the early 40's they sold for $45 which included an f6.3 Velostigmatic lens in a Delrax shutter, a cut film holder, 2 lens boards and a case.

Ian