PDA

View Full Version : Lab problem?

forthmedia
20-Oct-2008, 04:40
I just had my first few 4x5's developed by the lab. (Fuji Provia) These were just test shots as I get accustomed to using large format. On getting home I notice some crimp marks at both ends of the film - presumably from the holders used during processing. Now admittedly the border on these is rather thin but the crimps are about 1mm into the image area at on end. I'm pretty sure this isn't acceptable and has to do with the handling/equipment, but before going and moaning to the lab, I thought I'd ask about other's experience. In most images this could be cropped out, but it might be critical in some.

mrladewig
20-Oct-2008, 06:15
That is pretty common, but some labs do a better job than others. The most frustrating for me is when they load the film into the hanger crooked and it really gets into the image area.

forthmedia
20-Oct-2008, 06:25
That is pretty common, but some labs do a better job than others. The most frustrating for me is when they load the film into the hanger crooked and it really gets into the image area.

Thanks - I'm guessing from this that you are happy to accept some minimal damage to the image. I suppose I'll just mention it to the lab so they keep their eye on the ball

RPNugent
20-Oct-2008, 07:50
It is a normal thing. You really have to add a small crop factor in for it or decide to do your own film in a JOBO tank or find a lab that uses one to avoid the alligator clip marks.

CG
20-Oct-2008, 11:25
Seems crappy but many hangers have clips rather than channels. I suspect you just need to figure out how much of your film usually gets sacrificed to the processing gods, and do a mental crop to compensate.

C

forthmedia
20-Oct-2008, 11:43
Thanks Bob and CG - I'm glad I asked this question. I feel a bit more more sanguine about it now!

dsphotog
20-Oct-2008, 12:13
It seems good E6 labs are closing rapidly!
I once worked for a lab that used a Hope E6 processor,
They had a crimper that used heat to form the end of 35mm or 120...the end of the film looked like corrigated siding...this gave the transport rollers something to grip the film.
My point is we didn't crimp 4x5 film because it is stiff enough to transport on it's own.
And yes, you get the best quality if you do it yourself, in a Jobo.
But of course it's more work.

forthmedia
20-Oct-2008, 23:17
The lab is one I've used a lot for MF and really I have no complaints - they even still do Scala - hence I didn't want to go back from a position of ignorance. For E-6 I'm always going to take it to a lab, but, initially at any rate, I will be shooting mostly B+W for my 4x5 adventure, and that I will process myself

PenGun
21-Oct-2008, 00:00
It was almost 20 years ago but all the labs did to my 35mm transparencies was to screw them up. I did perhaps 4 - 5 thousand Fujichrome 50 myself. They are very nice, far better than I could get done for me AFAIKT.

The basic trick is to get and maintain temperature. An big aquarium heater with the thermostat tweaked, they don't go to 100 stock, breaking off the plastic stop is all there is to that, and a cheap digital family temperature thermometer will get you there. A big cooler for the water bath and you can get right on your required temperature and stay there.

I'll be setting up an E6 line for myself in the new year. It will probably run 7 dip and dunk small tanks in two baths. Only the 2 developer temps are critical. About 15 min in the dark, the rest can stand light.

forthmedia
21-Oct-2008, 05:47
PenGun - sorry you had such bad luck. Luckily this lab is spot on with the processing for me - why I wondered about the crimp marks. I'm too lazy to get involved in E-6 at home if I don't have too. B+W is different of course when you need/want the control

Frank Petronio
21-Oct-2008, 05:56
Clip marks are not an indication of sloppiness on the lab's part. In fact, I want to know the film was safely clamped into place because the alternative would be much worse.

Usually the best labs are the busiest, and they can afford not to take shortcuts with the chemistry. What makes most labs inconsistent is when they try to process more film than their chemistry can handle in order to save money/add a few more sheets into the batch.

Ash
21-Oct-2008, 06:01
If you can cope with the marks on your negs, stay with labs, otherwise dev yourself. The film clips I use to hang my negs up to dry are strong, they mark the neg so I hang from the corners.

I picked up a Jobo CPE-2 for about $200 equivalent, £100-ish. I'm currently using it as a tempering bath with 35mm, 120 in paterson-type tanks, and I'll be borrowing my college's combiplan tank which should fit happily down the side.

Of course, you can purchase big jobo drums and use the rotary motor. I'm too cheap to find a drum and reels!

forthmedia
21-Oct-2008, 09:41
Frank - thanks for the feedback. I'm sure glad I didn't jump the gun with the lab. As I say, in all respects they are very consistent. I'm not a big customer, maybe 6-8 rolls of MF E-6 per month, but I have used them for a few years. However this was my first time with 4x5. So - no problem! Thanks to everyone for all the insights