PDA

View Full Version : 2x3 Graflex SLR size

SadChi
20-Oct-2008, 01:52
Hello,

Is there anyone having Graflex 2x3 SLR? Could you show the picture where this camera in your hands (just to make opinion about size) ? What are approximate sizes of that camera?

Thanks.

Jim Noel
20-Oct-2008, 10:38
You are correct. This looks like a fairly large man holding the camera. If you are worried about weight, etc and ease of use, the 2x3 Graflex is very portable and comfortable to use.
By the way, Freestyle has 2 1/4x3 1/4 Ilford sheet film in stock.

Jiri Vasina
20-Oct-2008, 10:51
My 3 1/4x4 1/4 Graflex SLR is easy to handhold, is not large at all, and is not too heavy. It's wonderful to work with.

So the 2x3 Graflex would be even smaller, lighter, more compact...

SadChi
20-Oct-2008, 11:27
Thanks everyone. Now it is time to find such a camera, insert Heliar and start to shoot.

Mark Tweed
20-Oct-2008, 11:57
Here's a image of the 2X3 SLR alone and comparing it to the one in the photo above, I'd venture to guess that fellow is holding a 3X4 Graflex. Take a look at the size of the control and 'guide' plates in the upper corner of the 2X3 camera and compare it to the one in the photographer's hands. His camera looks bigger. Also the folding lens hood is different. So the 2X3 may be definitely smaller in scale.

http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/grafle_e.htm

Mark

Terence McDonagh
20-Oct-2008, 12:09
My 2x3 does not have a removable lensboard, so it might not be so easy. There may be a version out there with a removable lensboard, though I'm not positive.

I looked at removing mine, but it meant disassembling half the front standard and bellows.

Jiri Vasina
20-Oct-2008, 12:20
The 3x4 Graflex does have a removable lensboard. You can easily use a different lens, although if you happen to have the Auto Graflex (as do I), you'd lose the ability to auto-stop the lens for the taking aperture. (Or you'd need a lens in the auto-stop mount). But if you intend to use a long lens with large aperture (for shallow depth of field effects), than this would not be such a problem...

(And you could use a 6x9cm roll film holder on the 3 1/4x4 1/4" Graflex, too...)

Jiri

Jack Fisher
20-Oct-2008, 13:21
The body is 11cm wide plus knobs. 13cm high plus the hood. Total 24cm high.
The lensboard on this antique is not removeable.
The photo is my goodie but oldie 2X3 Graflex from May, 1900.

Jack

Oren Grad
20-Oct-2008, 13:35
The 3x4 Graflex does have a removable lensboard.

The Series D and the Auto do, but the Series B doesn't.

Bill L.
20-Oct-2008, 16:43
The guy in the second post is shooting a 2x3 Graflex RB Series B with a Graflex "23" roll film holder on the back. And, yes, he is big. The lensboard is not removable - you unscrew the lens from the fixed board.

This is a photo of me at the Georgetown Photowalk this year. Taken by Jeff Revell, who organized the walk. Probably should get his permission to post the photo, since as far as I know he holds all rights to it. http://www.revellphotography.com/

Cheers,
Bill

Mark Tweed
20-Oct-2008, 17:56
This is what I love about this forum is its mission for truth and accuracy. Thanks Bill for stepping up and confirming the statement about the camera in photograph. I stand corrected in my suggestion that it was a 3X4 Graflex.

tasting crow,

Mark

Bill L.
20-Oct-2008, 18:04
Mark,

Not to worry - I'm 6'5" and 260 lbs, to give a sense of scale. I've got a 2x3 series B, and 3x4 and 4x5 Super Ds. If I can swipe some lights soon, I'll post the 3 side by side.

Cheers,
bill

Jiri Vasina
20-Oct-2008, 23:16
The Series D and the Auto do, but the Series B doesn't.

Sorry for the misinformation. It should have been: my Auto Graflex 3×4 has removable lensboard. ;)

robert fallis
20-Oct-2008, 23:27
have a look at this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Graflex-USA-camera_W0QQitemZ380072208480QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380072208480&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
bob

Oren Grad
21-Oct-2008, 06:03
Sorry for the misinformation. It should have been: my Auto Graflex 3×4 has removable lensboard. ;)

And I wish my Series B did. :( But they're all pretty cool anyway, in a Rube Goldberg sort of way. :)

Don Dudenbostel
21-Oct-2008, 12:41
The Graflex SLR's are great cameras. I have 4 3-1/4x4-1/4 and regularly shoot two of them. MY favorites are my Super D and my long bellows Auto Graflex. Obviously the advantages of the Super D are the auto aperture stop down and the improved focusing screen / fresnel. The Auto long bellows is fantastic for long glass and close work but the focusing screen is much harder to view. The 3x4 cameras are a bargain now. Efke still makes 100 B&W film and it's not that hard to cut film down if you take some care not to scratch the emulsion. My only complaint with the Efke 100 is it's a bit dirty. It seems as though there's some trash left on the film from when it's cut to size. I use compressed air to clean the inside of the camera, holders and blow off the surface of the film when I load the holders but I still get a bit of trash on the film from time to time. Bag mags are fairly cheap but food double holders are hard to come by. I was lucky to get 20 almost new holders with my Super D and picked up 4 very nice bag mags.

Great cameras and loads of fun to shoot. I use an old Reis C tripod when I go out with it and have loads of people coming up and asking about the camera. This in itself opens opportunities to do street portraits that wouldn't be there with a 35mm camera. It's the novelty of a unique camera like the Graflex.

ic-racer
21-Oct-2008, 15:44
The guy in the second post is shooting a 2x3 Graflex RB Series B with a Graflex "23" roll film holder on the back. And, yes, he is big. The lensboard is not removable - you unscrew the lens from the fixed board.

This is a photo of me at the Georgetown Photowalk this year. Taken by Jeff Revell, who organized the walk. Probably should get his permission to post the photo, since as far as I know he holds all rights to it. http://www.revellphotography.com/

Cheers,
Bill

Nice camera Bill! Does that camera have a Graflok back?

I'll have the moderators remove the image.

Bill L.
25-Oct-2008, 15:22
Sorry, ic-racer, I've been out a couple of days. Unfortunately, the 2x3 has the graflex back, but with a little searching on that auction site I came up with a graflex style roll film holder cheap (after all, who else wants a holder for a graflex back?). The 3x4 and 4x5 both have retrofitted 4x5 graflok backs - I was lucky enough to find them that way.

Shoot. Still need to find my lights - my wife keeps swiping them for her booth.

Cheers!
Bill

Bill L.
25-Oct-2008, 15:25
And I forgot, we have a blog post on the 2x3 (this is while the 4x5 was getting tuned up by Fred Lustig) on our blog here (http://hankinslawrenceimages.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/graflex-slr-camera/).

You can see the roll film back in this post.

Bill