PDA

View Full Version : That which will not die.....

Michael Graves
19-Oct-2008, 13:30
There have been a lot of photos posted of abandoned buildings, collapsing barns and decaying factories. Those are pretty cool. I like to do that stuff. But what about the old things that continue to serve us well? Like this old bait shop outside of Whitehall, NY.

Miguel Coquis
21-Oct-2008, 12:35
a nice bottle of wine, the pleasure of sharing....
paper neg.
scan and some PS,
apo ronar 480 CL
cheers fellows !!!

Jim Galli
21-Oct-2008, 20:22
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/65X85SenecaCookeSeriesIII8.5in/HorMillS.jpg
horizontal mill

Done with the Cooke Series III lens on 6.5X8.5. This mill is still in use. It runs by flat belt clutched to a common jack shaft.

American Heritage of Invention and Technology magazine used to run a feature in it's first pages titled something like "Still There" where they showcased ancient machines like a button machine running somewhere in New Hampshire still going in place after a hundred years. That was always my favorite feature. I love old stuff that still works. I'm rapidly falling into that category myself.

Nathan Potter
23-Oct-2008, 08:37
Jim, great photograph. Reminds me of an old sawmill in Leverett MA. I visited it in 1956 when I was at the Univ. of Mass. in Amherst and it was still cranking out milled wood from the local forest. It was water powered. The gears were made of wood and on the order of 100 years old then (the owner, a non-communicative old New England yankee, looked to be perhaps 100 years old also). Drive mechanisms were leather belts. All gone now however and I failed to document it photographically. Lesson learned late!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.