PDA

View Full Version : Strange Light leak Marks

Deepak Kumar
19-Oct-2008, 09:10
Hi,

I have just recieved my first developed batch of films and slide. These have strange Light leak pattern on them. Plz check the scans. I am not sure what caused it. Is it pin hole in camera bellows, something wrong with holder, developing or I might be doing something wrong while loading it.

Not all film have the same pattern, out of eleven films four have not shown any light leak. I had taken few(6-8) test before and only one had such problem. So I took that as one off case and did not bother much about it.

I shoot with MPP MkVII and fidelity holders. I load my holder in changing bag in night, when all lights are off.

I got these developed from Pro lab and they seems clueless like me. I am new to shooting LF. Any clue about direction I should look into would be great help.

Deepak Kumar

N Dhananjay
19-Oct-2008, 11:46
Definitely look like light leaks. I would suggest the following. Take your camera inside a dark room. Extend the bellows completely. Put on the back. Switch on a flashlight and put it inside the bellows and shine it around. Any light leak will show up pretty easily. Remove the back, put on a lensboard and repeat. Good luck.
Cheers, DJ

Deepak Kumar
19-Oct-2008, 22:19
Thanks DJ

I probably did not want to bite the bullet and purchase a new bellows.

But now I think thats the main thing I should do before anything elas.

In second and third image, it seems human mistake is the cause.

If anyone can point out where I am making mistake, it will a great help.

As I have 20 holders already loaded. I want to avoid more mistake.

thanks

Vaughn
19-Oct-2008, 22:40
The problem is that I am seeing 3 different types of fogging problems. The one on the right looks like fogging either before or after the film was in the film holder --thus the repeat of the notch shape as other sheets of film were laying on it as it was exposed.

The middle one looks like you, as you pulled the darkslide out, you pulled it and the holder slightly away from the camera, allowing light to enter between the holder and the film back while the darkslide was only a third of the way withdrawn.

The left one looks like a redi-load film...and your guess is as good as mine on that one. Might be in-camera flare (light reflecting off something inside your camera). Check to see if everything is painted flat black inside your camera -- especially towards the back.

Number your holders and see if the same problem crops up with the same holder all the time. Be sure to pull the darkslide straight out before your exposure. Do the flashlight test of your bellows -- but also check around the film back (have a holder in it). A Mini-mag light with the front screwed off (bare bulb) works the best. Use care when loading and unloading your film.

And best of luck!

Vaughn

Deepak Kumar
19-Oct-2008, 23:12
Thanks Vaughn,

I will do the bellows light test in night. As for painted black surface. As lens board for

MPP is not availble readily so I made my lens board myself with aluminium. These are

painted black ( glossy one but sended later on). Since I am using Nikkor 90mm F 4.5

lens which has large rear element , I don't suspect paint to a problem but I will

definately try find out if that has something to do with it.

Deepak Kumar

Ole Tjugen
20-Oct-2008, 01:06
The left one looks like an in-camera light leak that was partially shielded by the rear element of your 90mm lens.

The middle one looks like operator error.

The right one looks like it's been exposed in the film box after shooting; notice the multiple "notch codes" copied onto this sheet, presumably from other sheets in the box. Not all film boxes are light tight without the inner foil bag...

Deepak Kumar
20-Oct-2008, 22:03
Hi

I did a light check at night. And there is Light leak at the Lens end of the bellows.

It's really bad & I need to replace it very soon. Any suggestion about manufacturer ,

seller for bellows; who can provide bellows for MPP MKVII camera will be highly

appreciated.

thanks

Turner Reich
20-Oct-2008, 22:46
The Micro-Press Camera, which was a press camera produced by MPP, was available through the 1950s decade. MPP was the only British manufacturer to produce twin-lens reflex cameras during the postwar period. In 1952, the company launched the Microcord that was based on the successful Rolleicord design. The Microcord Mk II that soon followed featured an improved shutter mechanism, the German Prontor. The lever-wound Microflex was inspired by the Rolleiflex, had excellent optics sourced from ?Taylor, Taylor and Hobson? company and was introduced by MPP in 1958. Other products manufactured by MPP are projectors, enlargers and a flashgun.

I would think that Camera Bellows in GB would have the exact fit for your camera.

chy
21-Oct-2008, 10:44
Before you buy a new set of bellows, I'd like to let you know that I've had good luck using black silicon caulk on enlarger bellows light leaks and pinholes in camera bellows. The caulk comes in tubes and is available in hardware stores or auto supply stores. You could give it a try to see if it works for you.

Deepak Kumar
21-Oct-2008, 22:36
thanks Reich & Chy

I had asked for quote from camera bellows and they have replied very promptly.

they have quoted 83 ponds for replacement bellows. I am asking them for further

details. i.e. material and lenths and drawings etc. Offer looks good to me as they are

reputed name in the field. But I would like to check with other seller before I confirm

my order.

Chy my camera has light leaks at multiple places so I think I would not take risk. Since

cost of transperancy and travelling is so high. For small pin hole or two repair seems

right option but for larger cracks, you never know when your repair will fail.

Deepak

chy
22-Oct-2008, 20:03
Yes, Deepak, it's not worth taking the risk if the bellows are in really bad shape. Are you in the UK? Here is a thread on LFP about replacement bellows in case you'd like to check alternatives in the US. :

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=97

It's an old thread and in case some of them are no longer in business, this one is still around :
http://www.turnerbellows.com/index.html