PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Polaroid 550 Pack Film Holder

tgtaylor
19-Oct-2008, 07:01
Hi all,

A few years ago I acquired a Polaroid Model 550 pack film holder with a view camera purchase off E-bay. Polaroid no longer makes pack film but Fuji does and I would like to try it out.

Does anyone have any experience with this holder that they can share? Specifically I would like to know how to load and use the holder.

Thanks,

Thomas

vinny
19-Oct-2008, 09:08
There's tons of info on this subject. Google "polaroid 550 pack film holder". You'll find polaroid.com and this pdf.
www.polaroid.com/service/userguides/photographic/packfilms_guide.pdf

Gene McCluney
19-Oct-2008, 09:49
The Fuji film works just peachy-fine in Polaroid pack film holders. You load by opening the back, laying in the pack with the opening down, making sure all the paper tabs and black paper lip are laying flat out-not folded under the film-pack, close the back and pull the black paper lip to pull the long black paper slip completely out. You are now ready to shoot. NOTE: There is no "threading" of anything thru any slots required, the paper tabs and black paper cover sheet just hang out of the film back and you close the holder right down on them. The act of pulling the black paper cover sheet completely out "threads" the first white paper pull-tab to the appropriate place. Be sure you have your dark-slide in, as when you pull the black paper cover sheet the first film is in position to expose and would be fogged if your dark-slide is not fully inserted into the holder. After you shoot and put back in the dark slide, pull the white paper tab completely out and discard, which presents another tab which is the print and negative sandwich. Pull this sandwich out in one smooth motion, and after the recommended time (printed on material that came with the film) peel-apart your finished print from the discarded negative sheet. Repeat above procedure until you have finished the film pack (10 exposures) The paper tab indicates exposure count up to 10.

In other words, the holder works exactly like any Polaroid camera that uses pack film, regardless of size. The Fuji film works just like any Polaroid pack-film, it is identical in function and operation. The Pack-film holders are thicker than your average cut-film holder and may not slide in under the ground glass of very old wooden cameras, but will slide in under the ground glass (just like a cut-film holder) on most modern 4x5 cameras, but can also be used in-place of the ground glass on cameras equipped with a graflock back.

mikec
19-Oct-2008, 09:56
I've used the FP-100C 45 with this holder and I am hooked. Good colour fidelity and supports long exposures without showing reciprocity colour casts. It also ages well. I just loaded some 11/2007 (not even stored cold (fridge is full of 55), but in a stable temp environment) and it appears just as fresh as 6mths back. It is also forgiving on the development times though I haven't tried it in cold conditions.. I just hope that Fuji don't stop producing it.
As to the compatability between the 550 and the Fuji, I have had no problems. Loading and use is a no brainer which is lucky for me.

Gordon Moat
19-Oct-2008, 11:03
Just be sure to clean the rollers between packs, and you should have no problems. I have been using Fuji FP100C45 in my Polaroid 550 for the last year, and no issues at all. I actually like using the 550 holder more than the Polaroid 405 holder, despite that the Fujifilm Instant costs much more in the larger pack sizes.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

tgtaylor
19-Oct-2008, 12:04
Thanks a lot guys! You all provided everything I was hoping for and needed to know.

Before I posted this query, I researched LF and Google but all I came away with was confirmation that the 550 was compatible with the Fuji FP-100C 45 pack film and that the Fuji holder was actually a "clone" of the Polaroid. A posting by Tim Atherton on a similar question several years gave a Polaroid web link but the link was no longer valid.

Thanks again!

Thomas