PDA

View Full Version : Field Camera choices

funhog
18-Oct-2008, 07:16
I am getting back into large format, and now live in the mountains, so I won't go 8X10 anymore! I am looking at a Wisner Pocket Expedition, and it looks like it is everything that I am looking for, but before I pull the trigger on it is there a better option in that price range? I am not terribly concerned with weight, 6-7lbs or less is ok. Any suggestions, or am I barking up the right tree?

John Kasaian
18-Oct-2008, 07:24
There are lots of quality wooden 4x5 clamshell cameras on the market funhog. As long as it locks down and has the bellows you need to handle the lenses you'll be using, then it becomes a matter of personal preference and economics. Try to find an example you can "handle." Does it feel comfortable? Does it look like something you want to own? Can you afford the price? If so then I'd hazard to guess that is the camera for you.

paul08
18-Oct-2008, 08:04
You might find some of the responses in this thread useful:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41743

Bill_1856
18-Oct-2008, 08:45
It ain't the camera which is the problem (they're all pretty good), it's the TRIPOD that will kill you.
Have fun, and good luck!

Brian Ellis
18-Oct-2008, 09:09
The Pocket Expedition has a reputation for being kind of "fiddly," difficult to set up and take down. There's a review of it in the review section of this forum that you might want to read. The Expedition is supposed to be an easier camera to use if you can find one. This is all hearsay however, I've never used either camera.

Ron Marshall
18-Oct-2008, 09:11
Also consider Chamonix, Wista and Phillips.

Walter Calahan
18-Oct-2008, 09:21
Throw your hands into the air. Just give up. There are too many choices. Stick with 8x10, they aren't much heavier than 4x5 or 5x7. Grin.

Don't forget Keith Canham's wonderfully made USA products! http://www.canhamcameras.com/

David Karp
18-Oct-2008, 10:01
I have a Walker Titan SF. It is a wonderful camera. Rigid as heck, and extremely well made. It is also quite rugged. I really, really like this camera. You can use up to a 450mm lens (by using a combination of front base and axis tilts, and it also accepts a bag bellows. Mike Walker is a great guy too. Check out www.walkercameras.com. If you have any questions, E-mail Mike. He is a very nice guy.

C. D. Keth
18-Oct-2008, 19:53
In your shoes, I would just get a tachihara. It has what you need without excess price. That way, should you damage or even outright destroy it sometime, you won't be out thousands of dollars.

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Oct-2008, 21:02
Anything, ANY other option but a Wisner. He could make good cameras but way too often they just didn't do what they were supposed to. Fiddly, fall apart, screws come out and many other problems. Instead of buying one and hoping it one that actually works without re-doing (See Richard Ritters site, he makes good money fixing wisners so they actually work) go with something else. Why ask for problems when you don't have to?

I disagree. I've used quite a few Wisners, and none of them ever fell apart. In fact, they are much sturdier and more intuitive to use than many of the camera brands suggested by the above posters. Craftsmanship and quality control coming out of the Wisner factory were often mediocre, so you could get a camera that has parts that don't quite line up, or screws that have been put in at an angle. However, these irregularities do not effect the function of the cameras; they are very solid and user friendly, and can be bought very inexpensively on E-Bay due to Ron's deservedly bad business reputation.

funhog
19-Oct-2008, 07:10
Thanks for your input folks, now if I could just find that barmaid from Sail!

forthmedia
19-Oct-2008, 08:31
No-one mentioned TOYO. My thoughts might not be worth too much as I'm a complete novice, but I just started using the TOYO 45AX. Had it out today for the first time on a fairly long hike in the hills and was impressed with how easily I could set it up and take it down. Feels nicely engineered and comes in at under 6lbs. I'm going to be blogging about how I get on with it (and LF in general) over at http://blog.forthmedia.com

z_photo
19-Oct-2008, 08:50
what other options from Wisner have all the same movements that the Wisners have?

AND- what is the trick to using front tilt on a Wisner without wrestling with rise (actually fall) when trying to do small tilts on those Wisners?

aduncanson
19-Oct-2008, 09:52
I have been considering purchasing a camera in this category, but have been wary of one issue not mentioned above. I will want to use a 6x12 roll film back so I have considered only cameras with a graflok back. That includes most current field cameras, but leaves out many older wooden cameras.

jeroldharter
19-Oct-2008, 13:40
I have used both Toyo and Canham. Like others have mentioned, you have many good choices for a lightweight field camera. I think it depends on your range of focal lengths, whether you want to mess with a bag bellows, what degree of movements you typically need, etc. After that, it is ergonomics and finish which is very subjective. For example, the last thing I want to lug around is a bootleg Chinese camera, even if it is cheaper than some tripods. I think large format cameras are like fly rods and reels in that respect.

If you lean toward metal, I have a Canham DLC and a Toyo AX sitting dormant (I just switched to Arca) that I plan to sell sometime soon.

Scott Davis
20-Oct-2008, 05:38
I'll put in another plug for a Canham, either the wood or the metal. The wood one looks and feels a lot more like a traditional wood field camera, whereas the metal one is very distinctive. The Canhams have their own shall we say non-standard ergonomics (lever locks for locking focus and most movements), but are quite sensible and easy enough to get around after a short learning curve. I'll put in the specific plug for the wood field Canham because it can take interchangeable backs and bellows. Get an itch to shoot 5x7? Easy-peasy. Want 5x12 or Whole Plate? Simple as pie (but a bit more expensive). Plus, if you have a problem or question, Keith provides world-class customer service - just give him a call and explain your problem, and he'll either know the solution or help you get one.

I had bought a pre-owned Canham 5x7 (it was an early production model). The wooden flange that slots the back into the rear frame cracked. I called up Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo where I bought the camera and told him about the problem. He called Keith, who drop-shipped me a brand new back, no cost, and told me to return the broken one when I got back from my trip.

Michael Kadillak
20-Oct-2008, 09:13
Well Brian Vuillemenot Smart Ass, I have watched Ron personally set up a brand new $5000 top of the line model and the whole back fell off. This in a good sized group of ULF photographers. Then he never did send the parts to the new owner to get it fixed and the owner had to pay a machinst a small fortune to get the camera to work as designed without gaffer taping the back and ground glass in place.

Do a search on this site and read of years of Wisner screwups.

Many of us know Ron "can" make a good camera on occasion but quality control is as elusive for him as honesty is in a politician.

Whoa there cowboy. This whole subject is old news so why try to put life back in a dried up skeleton long since buried? Wisner for all practical purposes is a inconsequential footnote in one page on the book of LF photography so who cares?

Anyone that is selling one of his cameras used likely has worked out all of the defects as I have with mine and we have moved on. Ron is likely on his boat in a tropical island pounding mixed island beverages with paper unbrellas in them with not a care in the world of his former existince in the photographic arena. Like another caustic personality that is no longer with us here Ron too will pass on in cowboy lore that I have used previously - "No man is completely worthless if he can still serve as a bad example."

Let's look forward guys as it makes no sense to get ones panties in a knot over events long since relegated to the history book.

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
20-Oct-2008, 14:19
"Let's look forward guys as it makes no sense to get ones panties in a knot over events long since relegated to the history book."

Those who do not learn from History are doomed to repeat it.

Then all you have to do is politely provide the link(s) so the historical documentation is provided to all that want to investigate. Your previous rendition of these events sounds like it happened yesterday and you are still carrying around a big stick intent on an excuse to use it.

The sooner you let it go the better.

Cheers!

John Kasaian
27-Oct-2008, 22:06
"No man is completely worthless if he can still serve as a bad example."
Great qoute!:D