PDA

View Full Version : Print retouching warm tone paper

Joel Brown
16-Oct-2008, 11:15
My Spotone drop control sheet doesn't mention Ilford FB Warmtone. Does anyone have a ballpark color mix for it? My prints are selenium toned but I pull them just before any noticeable color shift. I hope to fine-tune the formula once I know where to start.

www.joelbrownphotography.com

Joel Brown
30-Oct-2008, 09:52
My Spotone drop control sheet doesn't mention Ilford FB Warmtone. Does anyone have a ballpark color mix for it? My prints are selenium toned but I pull them just before any noticeable color shift. I hope to fine-tune the formula once I know where to start.

After readying what I wrote, even I wasn't sure what I was asking, and it looks like over 100 members didn't either. So let me restate what I mean.
I use spotone dyes for spotting my prints. Spotone #1, #2, and #3 are the dyes I have mixed for spotting Kodak's Polymax, and Oriental's Seagull FB paper. Now that I am printing on Ilford's Warm Tone paper, I can't seem to find the right combination for a good color mix. Does anyone use Ilford warmtone and Spotone, and worked out the best mixing combination?

domenico Foschi
30-Oct-2008, 09:59
Joel,
I spot ilford warmtone with the neutral black bottle and it isn't noticeable.
I have done this for years and it does not show.
I have retouched fairly large areas where the sky breaks through leaves creating disturbing bright spots by completely covering them and you cannot notice a change in hue.

Colin Corneau
30-Oct-2008, 20:51
Thank you Domenico. I have the exact same situation as Joel, and just noticed this thread.

Joel Brown
31-Oct-2008, 10:06
Thanks Domenico, I'll give it a try.
Joel

Vaughn
31-Oct-2008, 10:21
When I was printing on Portriga Rapid, selenium-toned the same way as yours (just enough to get rid of the greenish hue), I was using 5 drops of #3 and one drop of S. Your results will most likely differ.

Vaughn

John T
31-Oct-2008, 19:51
We used to recommend the following mixture as a starting point to our students for Ilford FB warmtone with Ektaflo Type 2, D-52 or Agfa Neutol WA developers

12 parts #3 and 14 parts #0

Happy Spotting,

John