PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss model C (pro 3)

Former Member 8144
15-Oct-2008, 10:47
Hi guys,

I am looking at picking up a (cheap) monorail 54 for some in the field architectural imagery I am going to be shooting next year.

So I am looking at the older arca swiss model C (pro 3) monorails.
I am looking at this over the sinar F line due to perceived weight differences as it will be hiked about a fair bit.

There is a great thread here about what to look for when buying one of these used which is going to be invaluable.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11755&highlight=A%2FB+model+Pro+III

But can anyone tell me both the weight of one of these cameras and also the shortest lens that can be used with the standard bellows whilst still allowing for some shift and rise movements?
I know of course I could have both standard and wide angle bellows, etc but I know that although I can pick one of these cameras up fairly cheaply, around the same as a sinar F (pre 1 or 2) buying any arca extras may well be not so cheap.

Now if I'm wrong about weight differences between the sinar F and the arca pro do let me now...I'd then be more than happy going with the sinar system system and its cheaper and more readily available accessories.

Thanks,

Marc

Kirk Fry
15-Oct-2008, 22:15
I own an ARCA B. I love it. Buy the Sinar. Do a little search on ebay. Type in Sinar and then ARCA and you will know why. It has taken me 10 years to assemble all the other stuff you need for an old ARCA. You can use a 90mm with a normal bellows but you will be way happier with a bag bellows. They sold both a leather one $$$$ and a synthetic one $$. The ARCA might be a bit lighter than a Sinar but if you have the optical bench under the rail of the ARCA it will be a toss up. By the time you haul all the other stuff, the weight of the camera hardly matters anyway. K

Frank Petronio
15-Oct-2008, 23:07
Especially now, you can find a nice Sinar F2 with a bag and straight bellows for less than $600, and you'll find hundreds of rails, lensboards, etc... You can find the older Fs for less than $400. A clean Norma might cost $6-700.

If you fold the Sinar onto itself it is reasonably compact and not that heavy. Google "packing a Sinar". With the weight gain you do get a tighter, more robust camera IMHO.

If you can afford to, you could always pop for a Sinar and keep an eye out for someone like Kirk selling their entire Arca system (I've seen it before). Snag that and if it works out, flip the Sinar for a small loss (if any).

The other thing is that sometimes you see modern Arca Discoveries go in the $6-700 range. Not that much more and the Discovery is a great camera and a real bargain at that price. You can find a used modern Arca bag bellows for around $200 I think.

Former Member 8144
16-Oct-2008, 05:11
Thanks guys.
Everything you have said is why I added the edit to my original post.

As much as I like the modern arca system I think at the type / cost of camera I am getting for this work the weight differences between the two systems will be negligible, and with the sinar F fold up method that I have seen and very easy availability of spares, extras, bag bellows, etc it does seem the best option for now.

In these times of 'gear crunch' the cost of the sinar is much more user friendly!

Marc

Former Member 8144
17-Oct-2008, 10:51
Sinar prices...so cheap.
Just too late for one that went on ebay.
Late F1 model, standard and bag bellows, polaroid back, 5 dd slides, amd lightware case..all went for...no way..£175!

Frank Petronio
17-Oct-2008, 20:57
Try to get a F2 or Norma, they are way nicer than the F or F1 (the front standard won't break either).