PDA

View Full Version : Running out of money?

Ash
15-Oct-2008, 01:25
Looks like the FS/WTB forum is jam packed with deals of all sorts, but there are more bumps than bites!

So have you all got the kit you need, or is your better half saying 'no' to more toys? Have all the belts been tightened?

Lets keep this photo related or it'll end up in the lounge ;)

dsphotog
15-Oct-2008, 01:38
Ash,
Right you are!
I have nothing for next year!
I need to book some weddings!
At this time last year I had already been hired for 8.....
Those deposits get us through the slow winter months.
A lot of weddings WERE paid for with home equity loans....not happening now!
www.davidsilvaphoto.com

John Kasaian
15-Oct-2008, 01:58
Not stressing about stuff I can't possibly afford encourages me to get out and make more pictures (or stay home and make prints)---funny how that works out, isn't it :D
"You can play a shoelace if you're sincere" -John Coltrane
"You can take great photos with a Brownie" -me

Greg Lockrey
15-Oct-2008, 02:03
Yes, there is some really good deals, but at 61 years old, I pretty much have everything I need. I have been participating to gather up some "retirement" toys. :) :) :)

reellis67
15-Oct-2008, 05:35
There are some good deal to be sure, but I have no need or desire for anything else - I'm happy with the gear I have. I'm spending my flash money on traveling places to photograph and on film/paper rather than equipment.

- Randy

Vick Ko
15-Oct-2008, 05:51
Hmmm.

I'm thinking of selling / swapping some stuff, to try other stuff.

But not happy that things don't appear to be selling, and prices on stuff I want isn't falling.

...Vick

Pete Roody
15-Oct-2008, 07:05
Addicts will always find a way to pay for their fix. Sellers here have no need to worry about the economy. They may have to wait a few months, but us junkies will be hard pressed to stay away.

For the storefront businesses, it may be different. The photography market seems to be down now. The pro stores in nyc had a terrible aug/sep. Fotocare decided to open on Saturdays for the first time in their history because business is down.

Richard K.
15-Oct-2008, 07:24
Yes, there is some really good deals, but at 61 years old, I pretty much have everything I need. I have been participating to gather up some "retirement" toys. :):)

Hey Greg, just wanted to say that, for some strange age related reason, I really appreciate you being 61 years old. :) Toys? Well, I just bought a Martin D18GE and would love a pre CBS Tele like I used to own way back when...oh...photo related...um...OK, I'd like a 550 mm Fine Art XXL. I know it's pricy and that other lenses cover as well but I figure I have only a few years with the soon coming (Hugo!?!) 14x17 and may as well make an art of self-indulgence. My age affirms, justifies, excuses, permits, epiphanizes and revels in the prospect....:D Please, just tell my wife that it is necessary and cheap...

Bruce Watson
15-Oct-2008, 07:38
Running out of money? No, try ran out of money. Years ago. It's nothing new, the USA economy has been nothing to brag about in the 21st century.

John Kasaian
15-Oct-2008, 07:52
Addicts will always find a way to pay for their fix. Sellers here have no need to worry about the economy. They may have to wait a few months, but us junkies will be hard pressed to stay away.

LOL!

Vaughn
15-Oct-2008, 07:57
My belt has tightened...but that's what happens when you add a few pounds. I think having three 11 year old boys has affected my budget more than the present national/world economic situation.

I would like to move up in format, but I think I'll stay with 8x10 unless a 7x17 falls from the sky.

Vaughn

John Bowen
15-Oct-2008, 08:01
I think my photography kit is finally put together and the film freezer is packed. I expect to purchase a bunch of Lodima when it is finally available in 8x20, but other than that I expect to be spending my photo $$ on gas, lodging and meals while out on extended photography trips. :-)

Brian Ellis
15-Oct-2008, 08:13
Hmmm.

I'm thinking of selling / swapping some stuff, to try other stuff.

But not happy that things don't appear to be selling, and prices on stuff I want isn't falling.

...Vick

Isn't it strange how that works - prices are falling on everything except the things you want to buy. It's kind of a corollary to my personal rule for the stock market - buy high and sell low.

Brian Stein
15-Oct-2008, 15:16
Well for us non-resident aliens (customs at LAX used to be sooooo friendly, now its just hostile) the problem is also exchange rates. The Aussie $ was very encouraging to my GAS 4 months ago at nearly par with the US, but in the last month the arse dropped out of it and Im down to 65c so eaverything just got about 40% more expensive.
Still, as said above, a habit requires feeding...........

Dan Fromm
15-Oct-2008, 15:28
Run out of money? Not so sure about that. I thought I was going to be able to retire and live fairly comfortably; nice idea, in more doubt than it was six months ago, and if the worst arrives I don't have the time to recover. But for the moment cash isn't a problem; I have some work at SKGrimes and a shutter on Mrs. Miller's waiting list and don't worry about paying either bill.

Can't think of what to chase next? For sure. I don't need more gear for my 2x3 kit, except perhaps a couple of lenses that I can't possibly afford and don't really need anyway. Sweet grapes, y'understand, but still far beyond my reach.

Can't think of what to chase next? For sure. There are only two things to do in that direction. Move up in format, for minimal improvement in the results unless I can improve my technique considerably, and great increase in cost. Or supplement the 2x3 Graphics with a 2x3 monorail. I've been dithering about getting a 2x3 Galvin since 1986, so that need must not be too pressing. I mean, given what I try to do a monorail would be just another toy to carry around that wouldn't improve the results at all.

What I have to do is shoot more, not acquire more gear. Not acquiring more gear is helped materially by the fact that little tempting is turning up on eBay.

Cheers,

Dan

Ash
15-Oct-2008, 15:29
I turned my habit away from gear, back toward books. Because staring at, and handling, books won't get you into trouble. Leaving a book on a shelf won't cause someone to say "but you never use it"!

My only complaint is that I spent all my money on books today on a trip to London, and they were bloody heavy to carry on the tubes and trains home!

Greg Lockrey
15-Oct-2008, 16:00
I turned my habit away from gear, back toward books. Because staring at, and handling, books won't get you into trouble. Leaving a book on a shelf won't cause someone to say "but you never use it"!

My only complaint is that I spent all my money on books today on a trip to London, and they were bloody heavy to carry on the tubes and trains home!

And movers don't like books either.... :D

Ron Marshall
15-Oct-2008, 16:47
I've finally beaten my GAS. I have more than I need with nine lenses, so now am spending exclusively on film. (More productive than spending on lenses!)

Frank Petronio
15-Oct-2008, 17:34
I just take a look around and anything I haven't used in six months goes up for sale. I've found hundreds of dollars worth of filters, lenscaps, and other "stuff" that just accumulates -- it all turns into gas, beer, and film money. The only old sentimental cameras I have are my Grandpa's SX70 and an Olympus XA that was my first new camera back in 1983 (cost$100 I think).

For the stuff I use -- the 8x10 and the digital -- I have spares and extras and everything I need to "cover my ass" so I don't go without, I just try to live within my means.

If I did get an extra plush job I would pop for a Leica and good scanner in a heartbeat though. Finally there are some sweet deals again!

Gordon Moat
15-Oct-2008, 19:39
At the moment only one thing in FS, which is a Yashica Mat 124G. Mostly because I just don't use it, since I am not a TLR guy.

I just put together and tested a 10" Bausch & Lomb Petzval type projection lens, and the image on the ground glass is crisp. Unfortunately it would work better on 8x10, and I only have 4x5, so I don't get that nice vignetting effect. So I will probably list that when I can figure out a price.

I also have one of the tiny projection Petzval type lenses made by Gundlach Manhattan for a Simplex motion picture projector. Jim Galli has sold a few of these, which just barely cover 4x5. Problem is that I like my HB&H Petzval type lens more, so this one sits on a shelf. Guess I should sell that too.

I would rather have things in the hands of those who use them, than have them collecting dust on a shelf. I don't need to sell them, though I suppose I might buy something else at whatever point I sell these things (and a bunch of other unused rangefinders).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Brian_A
16-Oct-2008, 19:51
There are a lot of sweet deals on here, but nothing I really need at the moment. I'm more interested in other things, like lighting, at the moment. A lens or two comes around every now and then but the ones I want someone usually jumps on right away so it's like a tease anyway. Once I master what I got, I'll consider more. But, I have enough to get the job done that I want to do. Maybe some stuff will come around I won't be able to refuse but right now I have enough loupes and 4x5's.

That's my thoughts at the moment...

PenGun
16-Oct-2008, 21:46
I bought a camera the first day I was allowed in the for sale/wanted section. Did not expect to at all. I'm 62 but I'm just beginning LF photography and this place is like a candy shop. I bought a lens today, well sent off the $s, and I am accumulating money as fast as I can to buy some more stuff.

I have nothing really and need quite a bit. I love digging for stuff, the internet is my toy, and I'd say the lens prices I've seen here are as good as anywhere and I would much rather buy something from someone whose pictures I admire than someone just selling stuff.

I'll buy a couple more lenses and other stuff as I can but Pete Roody who pointed out that "Addicts will always find a way to pay for their fix", was right on.

Turner Reich
16-Oct-2008, 22:56
How can you tighten the belt when you've lost your pants?

Ole Tjugen
16-Oct-2008, 23:24
Not so much "running out of money" as "running out of space".

I've filled in all the large and small gaps in the focal length sequence, and my "toys cupboard" can't hold all my "antiques" (AKA "old junk").

So unless someone tries to sell a 15cm Rodenstock Hemi-Anastigmat, I'm not biting (for a while).

Jim Galli
21-Oct-2008, 19:05
Remember a few months ago I was whining about wanting a Pinkham & Smith Semi Achromatic. Well, 2 of them showed up within a week so I'm beyond broke. I figure when the money crunch is passed I'll still have the lenses. Know anybody looking for a Rodenstock Hemi Anastigmat 5X4? :D

Neither of the Pinkhams is in my hot little hands yet, but I plan to have some fun with them this winter when it's too cold to work on the house. That just about completes what I set out to try in my photo adventure. The easy part is done, now it's up to me to find their voices.

Allen in Montreal
21-Oct-2008, 19:56
....... That just about completes what I set out to try in my photo adventure. The easy part is done, now it's up to me to find their voices.

I really like your take on it!
I am sure you will take some very beautiful pix, I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the results.

Wayne
21-Oct-2008, 20:08
Have all the belts been tightened?

I'm not selling you my Trigor, if thats what you mean.

Wayne

Greg Lockrey
22-Oct-2008, 03:33
Not so much "running out of money" as "running out of space".

I've filled in all the large and small gaps in the focal length sequence, and my "toys cupboard" can't hold all my "antiques" (AKA "old junk").

So unless someone tries to sell a 15cm Rodenstock Hemi-Anastigmat, I'm not biting (for a while).

I have a room that I call my "scanning room" that also holds all of my supplies. I just put up three levels selves on a wall plus the floor that is ten feet long and filled them with camera bags and cases filled with equipement. I really didn't realize I had so much stuff until I seen it all put in one spot. :eek:

jnantz
22-Oct-2008, 14:34
SNIP
Have all the belts been tightened?

yes

uniB
22-Oct-2008, 18:36
I'm really hoping some poor credit crunched banker will have to sell their Jobo CPA-2 to me for a heavily reduced price so they can buy bread and jam to live on. I could do them a deal, I've got a bread making machine - I could do a swap!!

Eugene van der Merwe
24-Oct-2008, 05:44
My woes are regarding exchange rate, as mentioned already, those of us not earning US$ are having a really tough time feeding habits. And to compound matters, every second item coming up in FS these days would fill an important gap in my armoury... Boo hoo!

Stephanie Brim
22-Nov-2008, 02:08
I've spent a long time soul searching. It kinda lead me back here and I'm surprised.

Money is always a thing to worry about when you're a stay at home mother and your 'hubby's' job is all you're living on. Cutting down and prioritizing is something we've been doing for the last few months. I'm stocked on film, developer, and equipment for the next 5 months. When our tax return gets here, I'll be picking up something I've been wanting for a long time: the rest of the stuff for my little darkroom in the basement. Instead of building the bigger version I plan to work on for the next couple of years in one weekend, I'm going to block out the light under the stairs in the basement to make a place to put the enlarger and the paper developing trays. Film developing will go on using the sink right next to the stairs. After not doing anything for the past 6 months because of having no time and no darkroom, I've figured out that having a hole in the wall (almost literally) is better than not having one at all. My daughter, the little girl [iurl=http://thirtyfivemillimeter.org/temp/4x5/rinoawide.jpg]in this image[/url] turns 1 year old in just over (by hours) two weeks. It's time to start up again.

In the fall of next year I'll be taking classes at the community college to get an AA with a focus in traditional photographic processes, then working on a portfolio of work that focuses on artistic and conceptual photography. And I can't believe I'm going to do it. In fact, I won't until I step into the classroom for the first time. I'm going to start talking to the professor next week. Maybe it'll be the start of something lucrative. Perhaps.

Otherwise I can always do what uniB suggested up a bit. I've almost perfected the home baked sandwich loaf. :)

Pete Watkins
22-Nov-2008, 02:31
It's crap here in the English Midlands. I'm on a three day week (probably heading towards a no day week). Anything to do with engineering or automotive seems to have bottomed out. I need to learn to sell on the Bay 'cos knowing how to buy is no good to me now. "'er indoors" says that I can go to a camera fair next month but I can't spend!!
Pete.

Joseph O'Neil
22-Nov-2008, 05:10
A few months ago the Cdn dollar was on or near par with the US dollar, today it is roughly $1.25 Cdn = $1.00 US, so all of the used gear on the buy & sell forum have just gone up 25% in price in the last two months for me. :(

Money is an issue too. While I am not as badly off as others I see around me, I am watching every penny. I have spent a lot on photo gear this year, but even then, I am being careful what I buy; For example, my new digital SLR this year was the D40 - cheapest Nikon has to sell (and a great camera, BTW :) ).

I have also been able to "justify" some of my purchases in an economic sense from work I've done that has been used in some advertising, some photos published, and even an upcomming art show with other photographers & local artists. Perhaps not much in the grand scheme of things, but a whole lot better than just sitting there collecting dust.

There were some really nice used 8x10's up this year on the list, but the one I eventually bought was a C1, mostly due to the low price as compared to other 8x10s, and you know something, I like it.

But yes, the economy is making me watch every penny. I also personally believe we have all been in a recession for the past few years, at least those of us in the middle class, and I think the real inflation rate, that is the top ten or 20 day to day items the average person buys to survive (food, gas for the car, insurance, utilities, etc) is far higher that the "official" inflation rate, and that affects us all too.

Still for all of it, I see LF camera gear holding it's own. At least compared to other photogrpahic mediums

joe

Sal Santamaura
22-Nov-2008, 10:00
...When our tax return gets here, I'll be picking up something I've been wanting for a long time...Stephanie, since you've described your situation as not including an excess of cash, I suggest you engage in some careful tax planning. By permitting your husband's employer to withhold more than necessary, then receiving refunds in April, you are making interest-free loans to government.

If you have good discipline, the optimum approach would be to change payroll records so, when it's time to file returns (on or before April 15), you must make maximum penalty-free payments to the US Treasury and the State of Iowa. I don't know what the percentage is for Iowa but, for federal taxes, you must be at least 90% paid up each quarter. There are additional exceptions but 90% is a good planning figure.

If your saving discipline isn't very good and you'd prefer not to send checks out in April, at least revise his withholding so there's a close to zero balance on your returns. Better you should have use of the money all year than letting governments borrow it for free. :)

arca andy
22-Nov-2008, 11:29
But hey guys what else are you going to do?...Luckily(?) I left college with no qualifications other than in photography and its all I ever done. I guess one has to be creative about how you sell your images/services and yes I may take a drop in money but at least I am still a photographer. However this recession is more scary than the last as the wife is working part time and we now have two kids.

Pete Watkins
22-Nov-2008, 14:22
Andy,
You're gonna be O.K., London's always the last to go down. After two years on the "rock 'n' roll" in the eighties it was the only place that I could find a job. I hated it but it kept our heads above water. Good luck mate.
Pete.

redrockcoulee
22-Nov-2008, 14:45
It is mostly the low Canadian dollar keeping me from buying right now. Do not really see real signs of a recession around here unless you think having to wait only three months instead of nine for a plumber as a sign of bad times. Perhaps if oil prices stay down it will change here. But there is a two edge sword as most of my gear purchases the last two years has been financed with the sales of other gear instead of from my paycheck. The exceptions has been a new tripod yesterday and the whole plate camera off this list earlier this fall. But have not gotten around to even seriously looking for film holders for it. In the next couple of weeks I will be putting stuff up for sale in a variety of places and can start purchasing more things again but until I do have no desire to take the 25% hit that the fallen dollar has given us.

Gary L. Quay
23-Nov-2008, 06:12
I'm still doing OK in this economy, but I need to pay off some bills before I buy anything. I really want the Cooke XV convertable in the FS area today, but the price is a bit daunting. It's one of the lenses I want to add, along with a Cooke PS945. The only others I need are a 600+mm lens for 8x10, and a deliciously swirly Petzval.

--Gary

Turner Reich
23-Nov-2008, 16:02
It was fun collecting all of those nice photographic items, some used by the best depression era photographers of the 1930's. It's too bad that they will be used in the current recession/depression. That's history repeating itself.

Renato Tonelli
24-Nov-2008, 07:52
I have been contemplating an 8x10 outfit for a few years now. I may have continue to contemplate for a while...