PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic / Calumet Question...

shapirophoto
14-Oct-2008, 17:30
I just bought a Speed Graphic locally for a nice little deal, but it has some minor issues that I am wanting to address before I start seriously shooting with it.

The lens that came with it (Kodak Ektar f/4.7) is a little fungusy around the edges, I've shot some stuff and it doesn't appear to effect the images too terribly but nonetheless I'd like to replace the lens. I have a Calumet Mono-Rail camera that has a Fujinon 210 f/5.6 mounted on it, and I'd really like to move that to the SG, I just don't really know anything about shutters/lensboards (i.e. the difference between a 0 and a 3) I've posted pictures so you can see, do I need a new lensboard? Can I make the one I have work?

Alan Davenport
14-Oct-2008, 17:35
It depends on the shutter size. If the mounting holes in the two different lensboards are the same size, you can move the lens.

EdWorkman
14-Oct-2008, 17:44
If the hole in the Graphic board is too small, you could buy a file and enlarge it.
If it's too big you gotta look for another Graphic board. Yours is pressed metal, the late kind. If you had an older model that used wooden boards you could make your own. I've learned by reading here that the numbers aren't a perfect guide to hole size by themselves. Remove the lenses from the boards by unscrewing the retaining rings, see what size holes you have. [ not meaning to patronize, but you said....] Should work good luck
regards
ED

shapirophoto
14-Oct-2008, 17:45
No, thanks I really appreciate it. I'm fairly new to LF photography, I've been shooting with Hasselblads and the like for a while now, but after looking at artists such as Alec Soth and Renaldi I moved into LF, so I really am learning this all for the first time.

shapirophoto
14-Oct-2008, 18:26
Would it be better to try and sell/trade out the Fujinon for a 150mm Nikkor or some such smaller lens?

Paul Ewins
14-Oct-2008, 19:16
You'll need a #1 (42mm) size hole for the Fujinon lens. You can get a repro board of the correct size on eBay or from Midwest Photo Exchange, or you can simply file the hole in your current board larger. Don't worry, you don't have to be terribly precise.

shapirophoto
14-Oct-2008, 20:07
So to be correct this: http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,1755.html

is the board I need??

David Karp
14-Oct-2008, 20:59
It will help you to learn a bit more about these things, so that you can make knowledgeable choices.

Check out the www.lfphoto.info site for lots of great information.

These might prove useful:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/shutters.html
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lensboard_hole_sizes.html
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer

David Karp
14-Oct-2008, 21:00

is the board I need??

It looks right. Just call Jim at MPEX and tell him what you need. He will take care of you. Honest, helpful, and a nice guy.

Jim Ewins
14-Oct-2008, 21:05
Buying and selling lenes is a good way to go broke, but the suggestion to get a 150 is good. It and a 300 are my favorites.

Kirk Fry
14-Oct-2008, 21:43
Don't give up on that Ektar!!! It may look doggy but I bet takes sweet pictures. So swapping lenses for a speed/crown/super? I got all 3. Fujinon probably takes a #1 shutter size. Anyway hole saws like you put in drills are a great way to make round holes in lens boards. You go up to your friendly hardware store with retaining ring in hand and pick the one that just fits inside you ring. For a #1 shutter it is 1.5 inch.
Then what I am doing is buying black 3/16 in ABS plastic sheet (they will cut it any size) from Tap Plastic and bolting it to the front of the graphic board. This way you can change lenses from board to board and buy old crappy graphic boards and use those. The other thing I recommend is to find a 210 lens that will close into the camera. A 210mm plasmat will not. A 210 G Claron will, a Zeiss tessar will, a Fujinon-L will, 200M Nikkor will, a 203 mm Ektar will, 8 1/4 Dagor will. It is a PITA to have to take the lens off every time you want close the box. Been there, done that. By the way it took me 40 years to discover graphics. Too bad, great cameras, not view cameras, but for stuff that moves it will blow that view camera right off its tripod. They look clunky but they handle great. Don't leave home without one. K (hint, make sure the screws to attach the plastic to your board are not too close to the edge of board or they hang up on the ridge on the inside of the front lens standard, it would seem obvious but it turned out not be for me :-( )

shapirophoto
14-Oct-2008, 22:10
Thanks Kirk!

One final question... do I need to get one of those 40$ spanner wrenches or is there some other implement that I can use to get the retaining ring off??

dsphotog
15-Oct-2008, 00:26
Graphic cameras are great! Rugged, compact, & portable.
If you like to use the rangefinder focus system, keep the original lens & board.
Just buy a board for the other lens, that way you can use either lens.
I have one of those fujinon 210mm lenses too, it will fit inside the closed graphic.
It's easy to reverse the front standard so you can have front tilt (downward)
Have fun!
www.davidsilvaphoto.com

IanG
17-Oct-2008, 10:58

is the board I need??

Yes but you can get 3 for almost the same price as one from an Ebay store. Just search for Graphic lens boards

Ian

Brian Stein
17-Oct-2008, 22:16
One final question... do I need to get one of those 40$ spanner wrenches or is there some other implement that I can use to get the retaining ring off??

A spanner wrench will not wear out, and you will use it over and over. Weigh up the cost of it versus the cost of a new rear element/shutter innards if the tool you use slips...

You can buy cheap ones off ebay or elsewhere: I did. The cheap ones wont tighten down properly....I only pecked the edge of an old beater lens....:o
After springing for a pair from s k grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com/span/index.htm) I have not looked back. You will see what looks like a metal card lens spanner made by Toyo or Rodenstock for $10--20. Never used one, but if cash were tight Id lean that way

I have the Fuji 210L which I use regularly on my graphic and like: welcome to the party

Nick_3536
18-Oct-2008, 00:25
Keep the Fuji. If it's the first series W it'll cover 8x10 -) You won't find anything in the same price range or that small that can cover 8x10.

What shutter is the Fuji in? Some of olders are in Japanese shutters with slightly different size holes.

shapirophoto
19-Oct-2008, 22:18
I'm not sure honestly, I don't even know if it's the W, I'm pretty clueless about that stuff. How would I find all that out?

shapirophoto
19-Oct-2008, 23:13
Okay, it's an L series lens, set in a Copal C shutter.

Gene McCluney
20-Oct-2008, 19:05
Most older lenses not in Copal shutters will have lens mount hole requirements slightly different from modern Copal mounted lenses. MPEX sells brand new graflex lensboards with the standard Copal hole sizes. It is not that difficult, just time-consuming to file out a smaller hole into a larger hole.

shapirophoto
20-Oct-2008, 21:41
Turns out the Fuji fit pretty well into the Copal 1 board. So it looks like I'm pretty well set.