PDA

View Full Version : Selling to other members

lenser
14-Oct-2008, 08:35
I have a suggestion that I would like both the moderators and the membership to chime in on.

I occasionally offer items to the membership that are surplus to me. To have this confined to a "for sale" section, completely separate from all the rest of the forums, seems totally counterproductive since many people may not know that this section exists or how to find it, or think to look on more than an occasional visit. (I know it seems obvious where it is on the thread list, but when I first joined, it took me several trips over a couple of weeks before I finally noticed it, and I was looking.)

I am not asking this is just a selfish way. I'm satisfied that many other sellers and buyers would prefer a more accessable way to find each other. After all, sometimes we don't really know we want something until we bump into it by happy accident.

Why not give everyone, buyers and sellers alike, total access in an easy way by having this section be an automatic part of the main forum?

All thoughts and opinions are very welcome.

Thanks

Tim

Brian Ellis
14-Oct-2008, 08:43
Not no but hell no.

Ron Marshall
14-Oct-2008, 08:51
No, thank-you.

dsphotog
14-Oct-2008, 08:54
It was open, 'till spammers from hell kept flooding the for sale sect. with their crappy sport shoe & fake Rollex watch Phishing posts.
The 30 day membership requirement seems to work ok.

EuGene Smith
14-Oct-2008, 08:58
I have enough problems with those spammers on my e-mail site and certainly don't want to roll out the red carpet for them on the LF Forum. It might be a bit of extra work to get to the FS/WTB marketplace, but the benefit far outweighs any problems .

EuGene

Juergen Sattler
14-Oct-2008, 09:00
NO, No , No, please no! Why would this make sense?

jim kitchen
14-Oct-2008, 09:05
No, no, no... !

Another door would be left open.

jim k

David A. Goldfarb
14-Oct-2008, 09:18
For many years this forum had no buying and selling at all. A separate section for sales is already enough commerce in the LF forum for my taste.

Merg Ross
14-Oct-2008, 09:34
NO, bad idea!

Glenn Thoreson
14-Oct-2008, 10:56
No! I think it works just fine the way it is. I visit it every day and never had a problem finding it.

Kirk Gittings
14-Oct-2008, 11:08
The flip side to the OPs suggestion is that there would be no central For Sale Section to go to if you are looking for something or just window shopping, because FS posts would be spread over all sections over the entire forum. It seems to me if a member hits "new posts" when they visit (and I assume most people do?). Then you see new FS postings (along with other new posts). I think to allow it to spread to other sections would make it much harder to monitor and peruse.

BrianShaw
14-Oct-2008, 11:09
I'm OK with the current set-up.

David A. Goldfarb
14-Oct-2008, 11:13
It seems to me if a member hits "new posts" when they visit (and I assume most people do?). Then you see new FS postings (along with other new posts).

That's what I do, and it works for me. Some people may not want to see FS postings, so they can put the classifieds forum on "ignore." This would not be possible, if classifieds were in every forum.

PenGun
14-Oct-2008, 12:30
No. I waited my 30 days and have probably bought a camera on the first day I was allowed in. Still in negotiation.

The whole place would be spammed if it was all like the 'Wanted/Sell' section. I'm sure that is enough of a chore with it all in one place.

domenico Foschi
14-Oct-2008, 12:37
I am fine with the status quo.
Now,...can we talk about politics in the For sale/Wanted section?

Mark Sampson
14-Oct-2008, 12:57
The current setup is just fine with me.

lenser
14-Oct-2008, 15:01
Ok. I admit I am overwhelmingly out voted and I accept that decision even though I think the current system might be improved. How about the moderators considering adding a title to the menu bar that simply says "for sale" or "Classifieds" for a much easier access?

Photo.net has a similar system with a drop down menu from the title "equipment" to "classified" that works much more easily than what we have here. Is that open for consideration?

Thanks for all the input.

Ralph Barker
14-Oct-2008, 15:15
Ok. . . . How about the moderators considering adding a title to the menu bar that simply says "for sale" or "Classifieds" for a much easier access?

Photo.net has a similar system with a drop down menu from the title "equipment" to "classified" that works much more easily than what we have here. Is that open for consideration?

The menu bar is already full, so that's not really an option.

And, FWIW, photo.net is a for-profit operation with a paid staff to maintain customizations to the software. For them, it makes sense to have their classifieds open to all, particularly the search-engine spiders, so as to increase their hit count.

The Dread Pirate Robins
14-Oct-2008, 15:38
I have no problem navigating to the Classified section from the main forum. It's right there.

Further, any new posts in the FS/Classifieds come up when I click "New Posts." If that isn't visibility, I don't know what is.

As far as things selling, I know that right now I would be in the market to buy some things if I had any money. There may be others in a similar situation here. Just because an item isn't selling doesn't mean that nobody wants it.

Greg Lockrey
14-Oct-2008, 15:53
I am fine with the status quo.
Now,...can we talk about politics in the For sale/Wanted section?

Not yet.... :p

Jim Noel
14-Oct-2008, 18:05
Another

Jim Noel
14-Oct-2008, 18:07
HIt the wrong key.

Should read "Another STRONG NO!!

This is not a substitute for those selling sites.

lenser
14-Oct-2008, 18:30
Okay, Enough already!!!! I wish it were different, but I concede. No more replies needed or solicited. Happy days, everybody and I'll go along with the pack.