PDA

View Full Version : old Super Angulon 165/8 on copal shutter?

Andrea Gazzoni
13-Oct-2008, 12:08
Subject says it all... I am wondering if it's possible to mount the old Super Angulon 165/8 on a copal shutter. I am talking about the lens shown in the attachment, which comes in that strange "armoured" synchro compur shutter.
Any suggestion will help.

thank you
Andre

Mark Sampson
13-Oct-2008, 12:30
Pardon me for asking, but why would you want to change it? The Compur is a fine shutter. If it doesn't work, it's almost certainly repairable. The "armour" you refer to is there just to make the speeds eaier to set. It's probable that 165/8 SA's made later in production came with Copal shutters (I've never seen one), but I don't know if there would be a direct interchange.

Peter K
13-Oct-2008, 12:30
This lenses, mounted in Compur MXCRI, cannot mounted in a Copal shutter without to dismount the lens completly and remount it in a new barrel. So it's the best to clean and repair the shutter. BTW also the Zeiss LF-WA-lenses where mounted in this way.

The last series of the long SA's where mounted in Compur and Copal shutters, but the mounting of the lenses itself was different.

Andrea Gazzoni
13-Oct-2008, 12:40
Mark, the reason is more aesthetic than functional. I backpack with my 8x10 field camera and a giant 360 Symmar-S in copal 3, I have just bought this SA and was wondering if I can travel with just one shutter and two lenses... maybe not so convenient I know, just a thought
thanks

Capocheny
13-Oct-2008, 12:43
Andre,

If you still want to look into having it re-mounted into a Copal shutter, contact either S.K. Grimes or www.lensN2shutter.com for their advice. Both do good work.

Be assured, though, it'll probably cost MUCH more than just a few dollars to have the job done!

Cheers

Peter K
13-Oct-2008, 12:51
Andre,

the long and heavy lens parts will strain the threads of a shutter, specialy when the lens is transported in a backpack. These lenses where mounted in this special mount to avoid this problem.

Peter K

Andrea Gazzoni
13-Oct-2008, 13:08
thank you Peter

Mark Sampson
13-Oct-2008, 17:12
bardamu- in that case your question is entirely reasonable. I use both of those lenses on 8x10 but they don't leave the studio. I admire anyone who has the strength of will to backpack with 8x10 and those two howitzers. (They are superb optics.) But then I only take 4x5 into the field, and often I think my 121/8 SA (in that same type of Compur) is too big and heavy. Best of luck- of course a search through the archives here will give you lots of information on 8x10 backpacking.

Andrea Gazzoni
18-Oct-2008, 09:49
another question related: does anyone knows what's the lensboard hole size required for this lens?

thank you guys
andre

Peter K
18-Oct-2008, 10:39
another question related: does anyone knows what's the lensboard hole size required for this lens?
64mm, but a hole for a Compur #3, 65mm, will also fit.

Have fun

Peter K

Daniel Unkefer
18-Oct-2008, 16:38
barmandu,

It appears you have a lens similar to mine. The -Armour- you refer to, is the "Schneider Compur-(Special) Mount". At the time, it allowed for the use the use of the -smaller shutter- and the commensurate higher shutter speeds. Yours is mounted on an early Plaubel board, I see. Have it cleaned by a good repairguy if it needs it, move it to the board of your choice, and that's about it. An incredible lens, IMO.