PDA

View Full Version : Vari-Format Viewing Frame

Steve Gledhill
13-Oct-2008, 00:49
I’ve seen occasional references to view cards or viewing frames. Here’s my vari-format viewer which I couldn’t survive without. Made from nothing more than 1 inch or 25mm strip pine, wood glue for the 4 corners and duct tape for the hinges. My prototype, which I lost in Yellowstone 3 years ago, was made from foam core. I moved up market with this one!

Next post will have a couple of construction shots.

Steve Gledhill
13-Oct-2008, 00:51
And the construction shots ...

Ash
13-Oct-2008, 04:49
That's cool.

I don't use a viewing frame, not sure why I don't, and not sure why I'd need one ;)

Yours looks great though!

C. D. Keth
15-Oct-2008, 18:04
No string attached to show your focal lengths?

jeroldharter
15-Oct-2008, 20:13
I made a similar thing for 4x5 out of mat board with a string according to Alan Ross's directions. I use it most of the time and it works very well for determining focal length without second guessing. The nice thing about matboard is that it is flexible and conforms to my pack well.

Steve Gledhill
15-Oct-2008, 23:43
No string attached to show your focal lengths?

For frame to nose I use:

full hand span for 210mm lens
4 knuckles for 135mm lens
2 knuckles for 90mm lens

So, no string. That would be over-engineered!

C. D. Keth
16-Oct-2008, 16:08
For frame to nose I use:

full hand span for 210mm lens
4 knuckles for 135mm lens
2 knuckles for 90mm lens

So, no string. That would be over-engineered!

Touché, Sir. Very nicely thought out.

Clueless Winddancing
16-Oct-2008, 19:50
Rube Goldberg had a football helmet with an upside down "shoe-sizer" attatched to the TDC. Instead of "knuckles" he went by shoe size to determine focal length. : ))

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2010, 21:40
I generally just "eyeball" the scene/focal length.
But I'd like to point out the optical viewfinder used on Speed/Crown Graphics, often sold for $10-25 on ebay. There are various drop-in masks from its unmasked 135mm to 15" Tele-Raptar FOV, as well as masks for 6x6 and 6x7 roll film.

jesskramer
16-Jan-2010, 10:58
Steve,

What are the dimensions of the opening before you flip any cropping pieces in place ?

Any additional construction tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

Steve Gledhill
16-Jan-2010, 13:45
Jesse,

5 inches x 4 inches opening. 1 inch wood strip. Two 7 inch strips + two 6 inch strips for the frame. Two 5 inch strips + two 4 inch strips for the flippy sides.

I get 5x4, and flipping the sides I get 5x3, 5x2, 4x4.

I don't use this in any way as an accurate tool - it's simply a viewer that helps with the process of selecting. The different aspect ratios just help that process. I'm happy to crop any image to any aspect ratio that I deem to be right.

No specific construction tips other than each corner was glued and clamped, and the hinges are strips of duct tape. It's cheap and cheerful - and very very helpful.

jeroldharter
16-Jan-2010, 14:29
Nice job. I like using a viewing frame too. Mine is made from mat board with a string.

Ken Lee
16-Jan-2010, 15:09
I use one of these, with white tape applied on one side, to simulate the white matt board.

For different lenses, different knuckles.

For different aspect ratios, a finger, or a little white tape, is applied over the opening.

Too bad they aren't made any more !

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/zonevifilter.jpg