PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Upgrade to 5x7 on my Sinar...

Joshua Dunn
11-Oct-2008, 16:24
I hate to ask but I need a little help. I am trying to upgrade to 5x7 (from 4x5) on my Sinar F2. I have several and was hoping to change out the rear standard on one to 5x7. I found this on the big auction site http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110293534764 and have contacted the seller. He “thinks” it fits a Sinar F2, if it does it probably is an older rear standard, perhaps one that came out just after the Norma series was replaced by the F series.

Does anyone know if this will fit my F2? I have a wide angle bag bellows (no normal bellows yet), are there any known conflicts with bellows types with older F series backs verses newer ones?

I appreciate any help you could provide.

-Joshua

Mark Woods
11-Oct-2008, 16:32
I have a back like that one and it fits my old Sinar P. I have no idea if it will fit the F.

MW

Antonio Corcuera
11-Oct-2008, 17:08
Hi Joshua, it will not fit an F2. You need a P or P2 rear standard bearer to use that back.

Joshua Dunn
11-Oct-2008, 17:16
Antonio! Thank you for clarifying that, I’ll hold off on buying it.

For what it’s worth Antonio is the person I bought the bag bellows from. A great transaction and I would not hesitate in buying from him again. Especially if he has a 5x7 back to fit a Sinar F2!

-Joshua

Antonio Corcuera
11-Oct-2008, 17:27
Thanks for your kind words Joshua! Having an F2, when I decided to move up to 5x7 I also searched for an F2 back. They are impossible to find. A couple of times a year though, F2 5x7 rear standards (with back) or complete F2 5x7 cameras appear on eBay. I went the easier P route, purchasing a P bearer and a 5x7 back separately.

Bjorn Nilsson
12-Oct-2008, 06:50
Yes, Antonio is absolutely correct. It's very hard to find 5x7" (or 8x10") backs in any F flavour. When you find them they are quite expensive, as they are sought after.
I too have an F2 4x5" and I also wanted a 5x7" back. After a while I found an old but nice C, i.e. a P back with an F front. It came in two Sinar camera boxes with a lot of other Sinar goodies at a very nice price. (As most of the Sinar gear fits everything else Sinar, I have use for everything.) It didn't take too long before I got me a 4x5" frame to fit the P back for when I'm shooting that size at home. Even though the F2 is a very nice camera, the P back makes life so much easier.
Your options are to either get a Sinar P back standart without any frames. Or to get the back standart with a 4x5" frame, which is the most common combination. Then you can get a complete 5x7" format kit. (Please note "complete", i.e. outer frame, the back with its ground glass and preferably 2 bellows, standard and bag.) The last "option" is to try to find a P back standart with a complete 5x7" frame, bellows etc. The vintage of these items doesn't matter too much (in my opinion) as long as they are not too worn down. The item which sees the most wear is the back standart, so that one have to be smooth, but still distinct and without any play.
Also, try to find a Sinar System Handbook. It's very good reading.
A bit of patience will help as these complete packages which contains what you are looking for surfaces now and then. I think you got something in the US called Craigs list. I found my filled up Sinar boxes at similar Swedish site.

//Björn