PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 wooden field cameras?

mealers
11-Oct-2008, 04:03
I've had my Shen Hao TZ45-IIB for about 4 months now and I'm totally hooked on LF but one question has been bugging me for a while now....

What are the differences between the lower priced Shen Hao's compared to the likes of Ebony? Is it the build quality, smoother movements, more rigid in strong winds?

Maybe one day I'II want to upgrade but is it worth upgrading from Shen Hao to Chamonix or Ebony?
I bought my Shen Hao as it seemed a fairly cheap way to get into LF and IF I do upgrade then I would like to think I would have a camera I'd be very happy with for many years to come.

These may sound like dumb questions but the only field camera I have ever seen is my own!

Mike

Brian Ellis
11-Oct-2008, 08:09
Over a period of about 14 years I've owned two Tachiharas, a Shen Hao (very briefly, because it was misrepresented by the seller), two Ebonys (the Ti and Te), and a Chamonix, none of which are presently owned (my favorite 4x5 camera is a Linhof Master Technika). The Ebonys had a longer bellows (by about 3") than the Tachiharas and Shen Haos and had more movements than the Tachihara. They also had a more "solid" feel. I thought the Ebonys were grossly over-priced. The Chamonix was at least as well built as the Ebonys, had as many or more movements, and had about the same length bellows. The Chamonix has, IMHO, trumped the field of 4x5 wood field cameras, it's very difficult for me to understand why anyone would buy an Ebony folding field camera today when they could have a Chamonix for a third or less of the price unless it's for the asymetrical back that's on a couple of the Ebony models. Obviously you can obtain much more detailed information about all of these cameras by searching here and elsewhere on the web.

John Kasaian
11-Oct-2008, 08:32
It sounds like the symptoms of a GAS attack, Mike! :) Spend the energy on making the best photographs you can with the gear you have.

Allen in Montreal
11-Oct-2008, 09:29
It sounds like the symptoms of a GAS attack, Mike! :) Spend the energy on making the best photographs you can with the gear you have.

Great advice!

Over the last 20 years I have ripped through a pile of gear so large it makes me embarrassed when I reflect back on it all.

And now, I own the worst camera of the entire collection, but the best, most thought out set of glass to go with it, but am happy with what I have.

As the market tanks further, you my find a great deal on camera that is 'too good to pass" but other wise, John is right, make pictures, first and go from there.
I find I fuss over gear most when life duties keeps me from taking the pictures I wish to take.

Alan Davenport
11-Oct-2008, 09:52
What are the differences between the lower priced Shen Hao's compared to the likes of Ebony?

The main difference is an extra digit to the left of the decimal point.

Oren Grad
11-Oct-2008, 10:07
Ebony makes a very wide range of different camera types that offer many different tradeoffs between features, complexity, size, weight and price. Go to the Ebony website -

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

- and take a look at the camera listing in the left-hand column. You'll see 12 different models in 4x5 alone.

That doesn't mean you need one. You might happen to prefer the look and feel of an Ebony, and if you can afford it, that's fine. But from a functional perspective there's no reason to trade up from your Shen-Hao unless there's some specific photographic task you want to accomplish that your camera can't do, or can't do without lots of hassle. If and when that happens, you can shop for another camera based on your specific requirements.

dneilson
11-Oct-2008, 10:12
I too had a Shen-Hao for a while. When it first came I thought it looked great. After using it for a while I wasn't too thrilled with it. It was an ok basic camera, but there were definite problems with it. Several cameras later, I now have an Ebony SV45TI. For what I wanted, this thing is my ideal camera and in my opinion worth the price.

I bought the Ebony before the Chamonix was available. I don't know if I would have bought the Chamonix or not, but based on user reviews, I would definitely have to consider the Chamonix today.

We all have different expectations from a camera and different budgets. Save enough of the budget for film and take lots of pictures regardless of the equipment.

Steven Barall
11-Oct-2008, 11:33
I've used many cameras over the years and now I use a Shen Hao with the bag bellows because I use a 90mm a lot and I'm a real movement hog. The Shen Hao is large and heavy but it's fine which is to say that it doesn't hinder me in any way. My last camera was a real piece of crap that did hinder me but I used it anyway for twenty years.

If I had a lot of extra cash I might look into one of those multi thousand dollar cameras but I have never chased the perfect camera. I do understand that Canham makes beautiful cameras that are a wonder to behold as does Ebony especially because you get full movement with the standard bellows and I would like to have one of those cameras but I don't feel that I need one to take pictures. The Shen Hao does what it has to do and the rest is up to me. Also, a little roughness in the process is a good thing, it builds character.

Get something you can easily afford and use it. No excuses. Spend your money on a good lens and a lot of film. Good luck.

Eugene van der Merwe
11-Oct-2008, 11:38
I'm sure my images would be at least as good as they are now with any other camera, but with an ebony, if the pictures don't come out so well, I still have something beautiful to look at... :-)

Gordon Moat
11-Oct-2008, 12:14
I have an HZX45A-II and it has worked very well for me. I really enjoy the range of back movements. About the only thing I wish it had was front shift, though I can easily work around that.

I did look into Ebony, and notice that some of the movements they offer could provide a different approach than I have with a Shen Hao. Outside of that, the choice of materials promises a more rigid camera, though in reality it is still a wood camera.

If I was to upgrade it would likely be an Arca Swiss Misura. However, I am doing so well with my Shen Hao, I don't know when or if that will happen. The Shen Hao does not hinder my efforts, though that Arca Swiss Misura is one great looking camera.
:D

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

phaedrus
11-Oct-2008, 20:43
I've had my Shen Hao TZ45-IIB for about 4 months now and I'm totally hooked on LF but one question has been bugging me for a while now....

What are the differences between the lower priced Shen Hao's compared to the likes of Ebony? Is it the build quality, smoother movements, more rigid in strong winds?
Mike

The two main differences between my son's Shen Hao (same model as yours) and my Ebony 45 SU2 are bellows draw, asymmetric movements and the way it folds ...
The three main differences ...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ;-)
As others have said, you can make adequate photos with both.

See you, Christoph

Frank Petronio
11-Oct-2008, 22:20
Try a metal technical camera -- Wista, Toyo, Linhof -- just to benchmark what a rigid, tight camera is like ;-) You can get into a used one of those for not much more than a Shen Hao.

W K Longcor
12-Oct-2008, 19:47
Remember, in photography -- the two most important pieces of equipment are the EYE and MIND of the photographer. Explore that camera that you have now. Become so familiar with it that it is like your best friend. Develop you film, your prints and your mind -- and don't worry about a more expensive camera -- as long as your exposures are correct and your bellows are light tight - what more could you ask for?;)

ljb0904
13-Oct-2008, 09:28
From what I tested, an Ebony is much more rigid than a Shen-Hao. That being said, take care, take your time, learn the camera, and make images. Do like Frank says, try a metal camera - an Arca if you can, a Wista technical field is pretty good too - to see what a solid camera is like. Rigidity is not just when locked down, it's in precision of movements too. Rigidity is not necessary by any means, but it's certainly nice.

Drew Wiley
13-Oct-2008, 12:01
I bought a mahagony Ebony 4x5 about nine years ago and love it. It seems to be a lot sturdier and more stable than any of the other wooden cameras in the same weight range (haven't seen a Chamonix yet). Workmanship is superb, and the machined
titanium hardware is going to be a lot more durable than the aluminum or brass used on
other models. The Wisner seems fragile by comparison. The only thing I don't like is the
two-piece fresnel lens, which gets condensation between the elements (I replaced it with Satin Snow groundglass). I think I'd regret getting a cheaper camera. Only wish I
could afford an 8X10 Ebony, but will have to stick with my trustworthy Phillips for now.
None of these wooden cameras really replace high-end metal cameras like Tecknika, Sinar, or Arca; but they are obviously a lot more convenient for travel.