PDA

View Full Version : Wisner 4x5 question

ajankelo
10-Oct-2008, 22:00
Hello,

Has anyone used a Kodak Readyload for their Wisner?

I have a Wisner Traditional Field Camera and was wondering how I would use the Readyload with the springback loading system.

Thanks.

Ari

Gene McCluney
10-Oct-2008, 22:40
The Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload holders slide in just like a standard 4x5 film holder. I don't see any problem using them with any fairly modern 4x5 wood camera. You would just slide it in under the ground glass, after you focus and stop the lens down.

Steve Barber
11-Oct-2008, 17:39
...You would just slide it in under the ground glass, after you focus and stop the lens down.

What he said always works in mine.

z_photo
11-Oct-2008, 21:40
works just fine in the wisner4x5 technical field. it does take just a little extra care in sliding it in and removing it as it is a little tight fitting

Gene McCluney
12-Oct-2008, 11:36
Let me add to my comment above. Since the advent of Polaroid-type instant films for testing, all 4x5 cameras have been made with tolerances that will accept a Polaroid-type individual instant sheet film holder. The Quick-load and Readyload film holders were designed to work with any camera that would accept a Polaroid-type holder. And the Polaroid-type holder was designed to work with virtually ALL 4x5 cameras. Therefore it would be rare to find a 4x5 camera made in the last 40 years that would not accept all of the above holders. You do not need a graflok-style back...all the holders slide in under the ground glass just like a common double dark slide film holder.

Louie Powell
12-Oct-2008, 12:15
Let me add to my comment above. Since the advent of Polaroid-type instant films for testing, all 4x5 cameras have been made with tolerances that will accept a Polaroid-type individual instant sheet film holder. The Quick-load and Readyload film holders were designed to work with any camera that would accept a Polaroid-type holder. And the Polaroid-type holder was designed to work with virtually ALL 4x5 cameras. Therefore it would be rare to find a 4x5 camera made in the last 40 years that would not accept all of the above holders. You do not need a graflok-style back...all the holders slide in under the ground glass just like a common double dark slide film holder.

While I can't disagree with this statement, I can say that my experience is that not all Polaroid holders fit all cameras equally well.

Specifically, my experience is that a Polaroid 405 (film pack) holder is prone to fogging when used in a Zone VI Lighweight. The main problem appears to be that the darkslide is so close to the face of the holder, and the handle is so short, that I inadvertently lift the back away from the camera when I withdraw the darkslide.

Gene McCluney
12-Oct-2008, 19:56
That is why I said "individual instant sheet film holder" and not "pack film holder", as the Pack Film holder is thicker and can cause some problem with "some" cameras, but the OP was, of course asking about Quickload and Readyload holders, which are much thinner than "pack" film holders.