PDA

View Full Version : Be careful with your Chamonix lens board locking tabs

Hugo Zhang
9-Oct-2008, 11:33
I have received he following PM from a photographer and I will pass this to the factory. Since there are quite some people in this forum using Chamonix cameras, I want to share this with you all.

Hello Hugo,

I received the camera and am happy with it. Thanks for the quick service.

I must point out that the two tabs that retain the lensboard at the top (the ones that rotate to lock it in place) don't allow for some boards. I use boards that I have made as well as a Linhoff standard board. They all fit well into at least three other LF cameras I use, but I discovered the hard way that the Chamonix requires thinner boards. I thought the two tabs were properly engaged, but they did not fully rotate, and they became loose and on two occasions, the lensboards fell out, damaging one lens seriously as it hit a rock. I needed to thin the boards at the two locations where the tabs rotate down, and then saw the full travel of the tabs, which is adequate.

I think you should share this information with the builder and with all users on the LF Forum and on your website. Users need to check the engagement of these tabs. The damaged lens is worth nearly the cost of the camera itself.

Other than that, the camera is wonderful, and I have made some fine images with it.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Sipress

Santa Barbara, CA

willwilson
9-Oct-2008, 12:12
Thanks for sharing this with us Hugo. I think that is good advice for all view camera users. This can be an issue on many different types of cameras.

Aender Brepsom
9-Oct-2008, 12:35
I have noticed to same problem on mine, but not with all lens boards, although they are all from the same manufacturer. It takes some effort to rotate the tabs and I have to push the lens board firmly against the front standard while rotating the tabs. I had to use a file on one of the lens boards.

The cheap lens boards from China (on eBay) are indeed a bit thicker than those generic boards sold by Robert White for example.

Steve Hamley
9-Oct-2008, 13:20
Had the same problem with a "no name" Technika-type recessed board on a Ebony 4x5. It's now in a landfill. The board that is.

Cheers,

Steve

Richard K.
9-Oct-2008, 13:35
The cheap lens boards from China (on eBay) are indeed a bit thicker than those generic boards sold by Robert White for example.

Are these "copy-boards" even though they have the Sinar name, made in Switzerland, etc. and look totally real? I've bought a couple and they seem to be identical to my reference Sinar board bought ages ago but are just slightly thicker!

Jeffrey Sipress
9-Oct-2008, 17:03
As stated, I was able to carefully file two 'dips' into the boards where the retainers contact the face of the board. I smoothed them nicely with fine paper or a scotchbrite pad and every board I have works fine now. It's easy to do, but the point is that the retainers must travel fully to their stop to give the most secure board retention. If yours are not fully engaging, get out the half round file and fix them.

You don't have to chuck your boards into the landfill!

Daniel_Buck
9-Oct-2008, 17:20
Good to know! I haven't run into it yet, but something to look out for when getting a new board :-) Thanks for passing on the info!

Keith Pitman
9-Oct-2008, 18:27
As a Chamonix owner, I'd have to say that the entire lens locking mechanism is a serious weak point. I don't trust the rotating tabs and would not carry the camera with a lens attached. I've carried other view cameras on the tripod, over my shoulder for 25 or more years, but always remove the lens from a Chamonix.

stealthman_1
9-Oct-2008, 19:43
I noticed this as well and certainly have to commend Hugo for bringing this to everyones attention. Especially for those of us who are new to LF, this is important information. Light weight in this size film format, combined with ease of assembly/disassembly means some of the features we take for granted in Nikons and Hasselblads aren't going to be there and it's best to understand all the advances and tradeoffs before one has a painful experience.

PenGun
10-Oct-2008, 05:20
It seems the 8x10 has the catches on the bottom, well in this video anyway;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjJTnuZUdY

It does seem to be more secure with the catches on the bottom.

Richard K.
10-Oct-2008, 07:03

Until you do a front tilt...:)

Keith Pitman
10-Oct-2008, 07:18
It seems the 8x10 has the catches on the bottom, well in this video anyway;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjJTnuZUdY

Absolutely disagree. The would tend to let the lens just fall out. The Chamonix camera I have experience with is not a 4x5.

Jeff Bannow
10-Oct-2008, 08:04
Anyone have luck with any of the ebay sellers lens boards fitting right? I need to order a whole mess of boards and the seller "jinfinance" has great prices, but I hate to order 6 boards and find that they don't work!

BarryS
10-Oct-2008, 08:22
The Chamonix is made to very precise tolerances and lens boards made to the correct Linhof Technika board dimensions fit perfectly and securely. I have a variety of boards-- Shen Hao (aka Badger generic), Wista, Ebony, and some non-branded boards and they all fit perfectly and very securely.

I like the lens board lock design because it's very quick and easy to use and it locks boards tightly. The two knurled locking dials rotate in opposite directions to lock/unlock the lens, so even if you had a branch or some other object brush against the dials with a fair amount of pressure--only one would rotate.

I did have a lens board with lens fall out of my Deardorff and it was my fault because I'd made a lens board which didn't fit correctly. I think it's good advice in general to make sure all your lens boards seat correctly.

Jeffrey Sipress
10-Oct-2008, 10:32
Barry, my genuine Linhof board was also too thick, and needed filing to be retained properly.

BarryS
10-Oct-2008, 11:17
Barry, my genuine Linhof board was also too thick, and needed filing to be retained properly.

I wonder if your camera has a tolerance issue? I remember when I got my Chamonix, I was sort of amazed at how closely the boards fit because some friends would grumble about loose fitting boards with other cameras. Maybe they have such a tight spec, it doesn't take much variance to prevent the boards from fully seating.

Richard K.
10-Oct-2008, 12:06
OK maybe this is the wrong place/time to be asking but does anyone here know if the Sinar boards being sold from China and Switzerland on eBay are genuine Sinar boards? They have the correct look and say made in Switzerland but the price seems a tad low?
Yes I AM that naive...:confused:

Rick Olson
10-Oct-2008, 18:09
Hello Richard,

I ordered the "Sinar" boards from Switzerland and they are NOT original Sinar boards. Actually, they are a bit thinner. I ended up getting some used (real) Sinar Boards from eBay for my Chamonix 8x20 and they fit nice and snug. I have to press the based of the board in tightly to get the locking cams secured, but they don't move once I release the pressure.

Thanks,
Rick

OK maybe this is the wrong place/time to be asking but does anyone here know if the Sinar boards being sold from China and Switzerland on eBay are genuine Sinar boards? They have the correct look and say made in Switzerland but the price seems a tad low?
Yes I AM that naive...:confused:

Aender Brepsom
11-Oct-2008, 01:47
Anyone have luck with any of the ebay sellers lens boards fitting right? I need to order a whole mess of boards and the seller "jinfinance" has great prices, but I hate to order 6 boards and find that they don't work!

I have lens boards from this seller. Some (most of them) fit, some don't (or only after some filing). His service is excellent.

The lens boards sold by Robert White in the UK are a bit thinner.

jb7
11-Oct-2008, 02:07
I have 5 boards from jinfinance-
I also have an Arca to Linhof adapter from the same place, (iirc)
and it looks remarkably like the Chamonix front end-

Anyway, perfect match-

You do have to check that the spring slider screws are tight,
from time to time...

j

Maretzo
11-Oct-2008, 07:50
I have just received the Chamonix-45 "the Shadow", after 9 months of waiting. Finally the postman gave birth to a baby Sinar. Nice caméra, fast set up et a pleasure to work with.

I first thought I had a problem with a thicker board, but in fact it is an Ilex shutter that is too large and too close to the board, touching the frame. I will adjust with a thin ring between the board and the shutter, and it should do the job.

I have tried all the board I have (shenhao, linhof, NSE,...) , they all fit without the lens, and I have another problem with a Nikkon 5.6/240 that would not enter. Finally, after rotating the lens, placing some commands at the side and not at the bottom, it works.

Try the boards without the lens, they might all fit.

We are having a stunning weather in Switzerland and it is the autumn, The "baby Sinar" arrived right on time. Thanks Hugo.

George Hofmann
12-Oct-2008, 22:19

I ordered 2 boards (2 different transactions) from this guy. I only got one. The one I got was way too fat to fit my Chamonix 4x5. I had to file the bottom to make it work. Still trying to get the second board from jinfinance.

I got another board from Badger Graphics and it fit perfectly.

george

Jeffrey Sipress
13-Oct-2008, 09:04
I'm amazed that no one here owns and uses dial calipers to actually measure the thickness of the boards they either love or complain about. Being a machinist, I have dozens of them. Everyone should own a pair (referred to as a pair even though it is a single precision measuring instrument). My own shop made boards are fabricated from 3/32" (.093") thick black Delrin plate. They fit perfectly in my Ebony (two different models) and in my Canham 4x5 with Technica adapter. Apparently, .093 is too thick for the Chamonix.

Mike Tuomey
14-Oct-2008, 03:14
Excellent suggestion, Jeffrey.

Fwiw, the two Wista boards I bought from Mpex at Jim's suggestion fit my Chamonix nice and snug, and the clips rotate fully downward in a tight, convincing way.

Mike Herring
14-Oct-2008, 12:46
The boards from Jim at Midwest are fine. Nikon boards and other boards from Toyo may also work.
Switzerland must be absolutely beautiful.....I would love to go there one day!
Looking forward to my trip to Utah at the end of October.
Enjoy!
Mike

Daniel Strasshofer
14-Oct-2008, 14:08
Hi, I received a bunch of lensboards from jinfinance last week. All lensboards are to thick for my Chamonix!

Jeffrey Sipress
14-Oct-2008, 15:39
Gitchyer file out!

Jim Ewins
14-Oct-2008, 21:38
I lost a lens while carrying the camera mounted on a tripod over my shoulder. The latch worked itself loose. If I must do a shoulder carry a piece of gaffers tape works to hold the latch.

Jeffrey Sipress
15-Oct-2008, 10:34
Like many landscapers and others here, I walk around a lot with my camera on the tripod. I'm thinking of attaching a drawstring type loop (like on a stuffbag) to the camera or tripod and putting the loop over the lens and tightening it as I install the lens board. I already tether my camera to the tripod, so I can use the shoulder-rest as I hike.

Daniel_Buck
15-Oct-2008, 11:05
Like many landscapers and others here, I walk around a lot with my camera on the tripod. I'm thinking of attaching a drawstring type loop (like on a stuffbag) to the camera or tripod and putting the loop over the lens and tightening it as I install the lens board. I already tether my camera to the tripod, so I can use the shoulder-rest as I hike.

I usually carry my camera with the lens facing up, if I've got it over my shoulder, regardless of what camera it is, there's only a small piece of metal holding the lensboard in, usually with only two screws (that might work loose?) I've just got the habit of carrying the camera with the lens facing up, that removes alot of the worry.

I have noticed however, that the thumb tabs on the 8x10 Chamonix I just received are stiffer than the thumb tabs on my 4x5 Chamonix. Is this true for all 8x10's? or just mine? Either way, I like the tabs having more resistance :-)

rdrnr
15-Mar-2009, 00:09
I am a LF newbie and recently received my Chamonix only to find that a lens board I ordered from china on ebay would not fit. I got one from Badger Graphics that fits fine.

gevalia
16-Mar-2009, 03:09

No, but I will say that the boards from Badger fit fine. As well as those from MPEX.

Really Big Cameras
16-Mar-2009, 08:32

Unfortunately (and ironically), the inexpensive Chinese-made Technika style lensboards available on eBay are too think to fit the Chamonix cameras. Like genuine Linhof (and Wista) boards, they also have the off-center mounting hole - which is perfect for Linhof cameras, but does not properly center the lens on the Chamonix when the front standard is in the neutral position. The price is certainly attractive, but not really a bargain if they don't fit your camera.

No, but I will say that the boards from Badger fit fine. As well as those from MPEX.

I can confirm that the boards sold by Badger and MPEX both properly fit the Chamonix cameras. Really Big Cameras also sells boards that are guaranteed to fit the Chamonix cameras.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras (http://reallybigcameras.com)

vinny
16-Mar-2009, 10:13
Kerry, can you post or send me a link to the lens boards on your site, I couldn't find them.

Really Big Cameras
16-Mar-2009, 10:36
Kerry, can you post or send me a link to the lens boards on your site, I couldn't find them.

Vinny,

I'll send you a PM.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras (http://reallybigcameras.com)

marduk
27-Jan-2010, 02:49
I've had the same problem with a "no name" Technika-type recessed board on Chamonix. Also one of my other lensboards, Toyo that measures about 2mm, doesn't lock quite well. I was thinking of ordering center-drilled Shen-Hao lensboards but the interesting thing is that while they are reportedly fitting, the seller says they measure 2mm along the edge. I'm a bit hesitant, how may of you are using the Shen-Hao lensboards?

monsta
27-Jan-2010, 03:05
i have about 5 of the cheap chinese boards (copal00 up to copal1) off ebay (jinfinance) and have had no problem with any of them. they are a bit tight in my linhof to sinar adapter but fit. cheers. john.

Steve Hamley
27-Jan-2010, 06:24
I've had the same problem with a "no name" Technika-type recessed board on Chamonix.

Also had problem with "no name" recessed Technika-style board on an Ebony; I dropped a Schneider SS XL 80mm in a river because of it. Fortunately it was insured. The board is now in a landfill.

Cheers, Steve

Daniel Strasshofer
29-Jan-2010, 14:28
Hi, you can use jinfinance boards but you have to modify them. I used a circular saw and milled it on the top. Photo attached.

Brian Ellis
29-Jan-2010, 17:20
I used Linhof lens boards on mine, never had a problem.

Paul Droluk
30-Jan-2010, 06:15
I've used Linhof and Wista boards as well as copies, and in my case all of the boards are TOO THIN. I have to back them with felt, a time consuming fix which likely won't work for the long term.

marduk
9-Feb-2010, 02:52
I've used Linhof and Wista boards as well as copies, and in my case all of the boards are TOO THIN. I have to back them with felt, a time consuming fix which likely won't work for the long term.
It seems like there's some variation in the allowed lensboard thickness between the Chamonix production batches. Mine #588 works best with thin Wista and Shen-Hao boards (of the composite material variety). Of the three Shen-Hao (aluminium alloy variety) lensboards that I have bought recently two boards fit although it takes some effort to lock and unlock it. Third one doesn't fit - but I don't see any tangible thickness differences between them. They are all almost 2mm thick (I don't have the caliper to measure it precisely). I also inquired about Bromwell lensboards and Ted Bromwell replied that his lensboards are designed 2.0mm thick (which means they probably wouldn't fit my Chamonix) and the Linhof boards are 2.0-2.2mm thick.