PDA

View Full Version : CALTAR II-N 300MM (f/5.6, 7 aperture blades)

dh003i
8-Oct-2008, 12:43
What do you guys think of this lens, the CALTAR II-N 300MM (f/5.6, 7 aperture blades)? Is it the same as the Caltar listed on the old lens section of this site:

Calumet Caltar II
E/G: 6/4
F: 300 mm
Maximum Aperture: f/5.6
Cover Circle: 425 mm
Price: $900
YR: 2

If so, I might be interested. Seems to have a large coverage circle (more than 2x 4x5's 163 mm diagonal), and it's relatively large maximum aperture.

Gem Singer
8-Oct-2008, 13:12
Caltar II-N lenses are re-badged Rodenstock Sironar N lenses that are still being sold by Calumet Photo. They pre-date the Rodenstock Apo Sironar N series. However, I have heard that there is no significant difference between the Sironar N and the Apo Sironar N. Rodenstock added the "Apo" designation for marketing purposes.

Be aware that the 300 f5.6 is a large, heavy weight lens, mounted in a Copal 3 shutter.

Ron Marshall
8-Oct-2008, 13:17
There are many equivalent lenses available used for much less:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF06020300067N&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Bear in mind this is an 8x10 lens, and as Gem said is heavy.

BarryS
8-Oct-2008, 13:39
I have a Sironar N 300mm f/5.6 MC for 8x10 work. As Gem mentioned, it was also sold as a Caltar N lens. It's a very good workhorse normal lens for 8x10 work, but it's a heavy Plasmat design in a large Copal 3 shutter. I'd consider it very mismatched for a light 4x5 field camera. The image circle is overkill for 4x5 unless you're doing heavy architecture or table top shots. The speed is nice, but it's not difficult using slower lenses as long as they're normal or longer than normal for the format. I love a 240mm on 4x5, so a Fujinon A 240mm f/9 might be a better choice. If you're set on a 300, the Nikon 300mm M f/9 is excellent. Both are top quality small lenses with lots of coverage for 4x5.

dh003i
8-Oct-2008, 14:01
A few clarifications...I'll be using it with a Linhof Super Color Symmar monorail (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=160289446194), not a box-type field camera.

This lens is on eBay now right a current bid of $36, as there is an issue with the shutter timing at slow speeds that needs to be fixed.

The reason I'm getting into LF is because I am interested in the movements, both to correct perspective and more importantly to engage in selective focus; because I want the capability of very shallow depth of field; and because I want to have image quality better than medium-format digital backs without paying insane prices.

I often use a 58mm:f/1.2 lens on my four-thirds system, and would even be interested in an f/0.6 lens for my E3 (my 58/1.2 lens was intended for a Minolta 35mm film body...and the dof of it on a minolta body would be equivalent to that of a f/0.6 on my 4/3rds format E3). f/0.6 corresponds to f/4.5 on 4x5 large format. But the f/4.5 lenses that I've seen seem to have smaller image circles.

BarryS
8-Oct-2008, 14:39
Believe me, the depth of field with any 240mm or 300mm lens is shallow, so I wouldn't worry about the difference between f/5.6 and f/9. LF is a world away from "four-thirds" , so don't get hung up on the need for a fat aperture on any long LF lens. The Fujinon and the Nikon have image circles over 300mm--very large for 4x5. However, if you can get a good deal on the Caltar/Sironar, your camera will handle it fine, focusing will be a breeze, and you'll be ready to move up to 8x10.

Bob Salomon
8-Oct-2008, 15:22
A few clarifications...I'll be using it with a Linhof Super Color Symmar monorail (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=160289446194), not a box-type field camera.

The camera is the Linhof Kardan JBL. It was also called the Kardan Super Color (2nd version. Original one had a round rail but the same standards.

Symmar is the lens not the camera.

Gem Singer
8-Oct-2008, 16:01
The link that you furnished shows a Linhof Kardon Super Color 4X5 monorail camera, which includes a Schneider Symmar f5.6 150-f12 265 convertible lens. If that's the camera you are planning on purchasing, it's a nice outfit, worth the price. The lens is a great performer.

If you showed the picture of the Linhof merely to explain which camera you will be using, I can tell you from experience, a three pound f5.6 300mm lens in a Copal 3 shutter puts a strain on the front standard of any 4X5 camera, even a Linhof. Especially when it is extended out for close-up photography.

If you insist on using a 300mm lens, look for a Fujinon 300C or a Nikon 300M. more expensive, but smaller, lighter, and mounted in Copal 1 shutters. Excellent lenses to use for selective focus. They have large image circles for perspective control on 4X5.

By "four-thirds". do you mean 35mm? 4X5 is a different ratio than 35mm.

Bob Salomon
8-Oct-2008, 16:33
[QUOTE=Gem Singer;I can tell you from experience, a three pound f5.6 300mm lens in a Copal 3 shutter puts a strain on the front standard of any 4X5 camera, even a Linhof. Especially when it is extended out for close-up photography.[/QUOTE]

No problem. This front standard easily can handle a 300 5.6. It is the same front standard that was used on the 5x7 and some of the Linhof 8x10 Kardan cameras.

Oren Grad
8-Oct-2008, 17:08
By "four-thirds". do you mean 35mm? 4X5 is a different ratio than 35mm.

The poster is referring to the Four Thirds digital sensor format, 13 x 17.3 mm.

Gem Singer
8-Oct-2008, 17:30
Bob,

I didn't say that the front standard on that camera was incapable of handling a large heavy lens. I said that continual use of a large heavy lens will put extra strain on the hardware. The locking knobs for rise-fall and forward-backward tilt will need to be tightened very firmly in order to maintain the position of a heavy lens. Eventually, those things wear out. Even on a Linhof. Ask Martin.

Bob Salomon
8-Oct-2008, 17:32
Bob,

I didn't say that the front standard on that camera was incapable of handling a large heavy lens. I said that continual use of a large heavy lens will put extra strain on the hardware. The locking knobs for rise-fall and forward-backward tilt will need to be tightened very firmly in order to maintain the position of a heavy lens. Eventually, those things wear out. Even on a Linhof. Ask Martin.

Unless you are doing everyday work commercially with that lens on the JBL you would not put enough strain on the camera over a few years of constant work. That lens is well within the capability of the front standard. Assuming that the camera is within factory specifications.

dh003i
8-Oct-2008, 17:47
Thank you very much everyone. I will have to consider everything that has been said; I'm getting my Linhof 4x5 Friday (fast shipping, he shipped today after he got money-order! :-), and can see how I like what it comes with.

BarryS
8-Oct-2008, 18:48
Good luck and don't forget--that Symmar is a convertible lens, so you already have a 265mm f/12. Play with the converted lens a bit and see how you like the focal length and the performance. Use a yellow or orange filter if you shoot b&w with the converted lens to correct for chromatic aberrations.

Frank Petronio
8-Oct-2008, 18:54
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=41426 (just for contact info - she has many more items)

Amy is settling her husband Ted Harris's estate, he was an excellent professional photographer and they have some great deals on tripods and the portrait lenses that you are interested in -- but ask around to identify the models and prices as I can not speak for the pros and cons of the individual items and Amy is not a photographer herself -- but she is honest, the prices are fair, and Ted took good care of all his gear. Good people.