PDA

View Full Version : How to ship undevelopped negative to lab?

Degroto
8-Oct-2008, 06:01
HI,

I've searched but didn't find an answer. I want to shoot my first 4x5 film. However I don't have the options to develop them myself. So I have to send them of to a lab....How do I do that? Send in the whole cassette? Take the film out pack it light tight and then send it off?
Maybe a silly question but these are my first steps. I'd like to develop them myself but I don't have the space or materials yet.

Any suggestions for labs in the south of the Netherlands?

Thanks!

Ron Marshall
8-Oct-2008, 06:28
Use an empty film box. If you don't have one ask at a lab, or another LF photographer.

Dan Schmidt
8-Oct-2008, 11:55
Use an empty film box.

of course use the black plastic that comes with film box too

Degroto
9-Oct-2008, 03:08
of course use the black plastic that comes with film box too

Thanks for the answers. Another question. Can I stack the film on top of eachother or do I need to seperate them with something?

David E. Rose
9-Oct-2008, 04:12
The sheets do not need to be seperated. I also do not use the foil seal that the film is originally sealed it and I have never had a problem. Always use both the inner and outer box. I do usually use the white cardboard sheets from the original packaging to hold the film in the box. I always use a piece of drafting tape on the box to prevent it from opening accidentally. If I need to keep the film refrigerated for a while before it will gel to the lab, I seal the box in a ziploc bag.

Another option is to take the exposed film in to the lab in it's film holder. The lab can remove it from the holder and process it from there without dealing with film boxes. This works well if you have enough film holders that you can live without a batch of them for a couple of days.

Hollis
16-Oct-2008, 18:21
I use gaff tape (any kind will do) and tape around all four edges of the box where it is open so as to make sure it will not open, no dust can get in or any light. Seems to have worked for me.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Oct-2008, 18:39
I use gaff tape (any kind will do) and tape around all four edges of the box where it is open so as to make sure it will not open, no dust can get in or any light. Seems to have worked for me.

The lab folks probably hate you.

Two rubber bands will do, or if it's easier to tape, then use masking tape--just one small piece on each side, so that it can be cut easily with a fingernail.

I put the film straight in the box without any bag or envelope. It's not necessary, and having it there will require more handling.

Frank Petronio
16-Oct-2008, 19:22
Keep the emulsion up as you load the primary box, or at least keep all the notches going the same way. Makes it easier for the lab to load the hangers (or whatever).