PDA

View Full Version : Platinum/Palladium Printing workshop

Andrew ren
7-Oct-2008, 18:52
Not sure this is the right room to post my question.
I am eager to learn the Pt/Pa printing process, and all my negatives need to be enlarged first, the original sizes either 2 1/4 or 5x7. Already emailed to Kerik K, didn't get back from him just yet. I am in Ontario.

Thanks

Andrew

vinny
7-Oct-2008, 18:58
Bill Schwab
http://www.northlightworkshops.com/

Kerik Kouklis
8-Oct-2008, 00:01
Check your email Andrew...

Andrew ren
8-Oct-2008, 02:40
Thanks vinny.

Kerik, email on the way.

Andrew

Daniel Grenier
8-Oct-2008, 04:54
Unrelated to your question, Andrew, but you have some really terrific work which would look great in platinum. Good eye! BTW, I think Tony Hauser in Toronto used to teach pt/pd process but I am not sure if he still does. Ryerson may have something too (if you're in TO that is).

Mike Castles
8-Oct-2008, 05:08
Kerik would get my vote, but if looking for other printers, Tillman Crane would be another I would look at. Check his web page under workshops - www.tillmancrane.com

Andrew ren
8-Oct-2008, 05:08
Thanks Daniel. Actually I am in Kanata, 30km away from you. :-0

BTW, I am still impressed by your Pure Copper 8x10, if I remember it right.

Best,

Andrew

AND, Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

Daniel Grenier
8-Oct-2008, 05:32
Thanks Daniel. Actually I am in Kanata, 30km away from you. :-0

BTW, I am still impressed by your Pure Copper 8x10, if I remember it right.

Best,

Andrew

AND, Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

Ken Lee
8-Oct-2008, 08:20
I spent a day with Carl Weese (http://www.carlweese.com/workshop.html) a few years back.

I can't say enough good about him.

He's in rural Connecticut, just a bit south of you.

Daniel Grenier
8-Oct-2008, 08:33
Sorry about the no comment comment... computer glitch!

So we're practically neighbours, Andrew. I don't know of anyone in our immediate area who teached pt/pd but you can't go wrong with Kerik. I have seen his work in Toronto some years back and it is really awesome. Glad you enjoyed my copper 8x10 - a sculpture my brother in law made for me. It is a much talked about piece at home.

Cheers and good luck with finding a workshop.

Scott Davis
8-Oct-2008, 08:59
On a somewhat tangential thought coming from your comment about neg size -

I don't know why you would think you have to enlarge 5x7 negs for pt/pd. Adjust contrast, perhaps, but 5x7 is a perfectly fine size for pt/pd printing. I haven't taken Kerik's Pt/Pd class, but I did take wet plate collodion from him. It was a terrific experience, and I highly recommend him as an instructor. I did study Pt/Pd with Carl Weese, and I can also highly recommend his class.

geoffrey billett
8-Oct-2008, 17:10
What workshop/tutors would people recommend in the UK for this process?
Geoff

Andrew ren
8-Oct-2008, 17:39
Thanks Ken.
Just got hold of Carl.

I think I might better off from other tutors instead of Carl, because all my 2 1/4 negs need to be enlarged first(for Scott). I want to learn how to make a high quality "digital Negatives", I knew there are a few different ways to do that, I was told the image-setter is good choice, and those digi-negs made from the desktop printer(Epson) are not quite good.
So I want the workshop to be two parts, one for quality digital negitive making, the other will be contact prints with the enlarged negtives or the raw 5x7 negs. From what I understand from the info provided by Carl, his workshop will be focused on the step 2 mostly.
On the other hand, Kerik will fit my need more likely, but I need to wait till next year..hmm.

Thanks Daniel.

Dave Aharonian
8-Oct-2008, 18:09
Hi Andrew, I took Kerik's class last year and highly recommend it. I'm shooting 5x7 too and he taught me enough to go home and make my own digital negs - but that also included a lot of time learning how to make a good correction curve for my Epson 3800 (which now makes pretty damn good negs IMO!). Your work is beautiful and will look great in Platinum!

Kerik Kouklis
9-Oct-2008, 08:48
Andrew - Digital negs from the newest Epson printers are as good or better than imagesetter negatives and are much cheaper. Plus, there are fewer and fewer places to farm out imagesetter work. I am now using the Quadtone RIP (QTR) program for making digital negs with an Epson 3800 as pioneered by Ron Reeder and others. IMO this approach is now the best out there for making smooth, grain-free pt/pd prints from digital negatives.

Kerik Kouklis
9-Oct-2008, 08:49
BTW, Ron Reeder and Brad Hinkel's book on making digital negatives is a great resource. It can be found on Amazon...

Eric Biggerstaff
9-Oct-2008, 09:25
Just buy a kit and jump on in!

The 5X7 negs are a great size for contact prints and if you research a little and do some reading, you can begin making prints quickly. I have been learning the Na2 process and it is a great and fun way to make Palladium prints. I plan to eventually take a workshop (Kerik's probably) but in the meantime, I am learning as I go. Check out the Bostick&Sullivan site and get a kit, or simply give them a call and someone will answer your questions, they are great to work with. Then, when you do take a workshop you will have some experience that you can draw from.

Good luck and have fun!

Andrew ren
9-Oct-2008, 12:03
Thanks Kerik and Eric.

Kerik, can you pint out a few books I should read before my attending of your workshop?
As you mentioned above, the "Digital Negatives by Ron Reeder + Brad Hinkel" is one of them. any other recommends?

Thanks

Andrew